anxiety about upcoming surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i'm 25 and I was born with a dysplasia in my right leg. In recent years it has progressed into secondary arthritis and I not have very limited movement in this leg. I have decided that I will go a head and have a hip replacement. Surgery is in about 4-6 weeks, I recently underwent a biopsy as a procaution as I had to have emergency surgery when I was 14 due to septic Arthritis. As the date is approaching i have become quite anxious as I feel this will be life changing but because I am only 25 I am worried about having to have future surgerys as I am aware that the replacement doesnt long longer than 15-20 years. Also I am worried about becoming pregnant in the future and carrying a baby with a prosthetic hip. Has anybody had any simiular experiences?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Is a hip replacement the only option due to the arthritis? The only reason I ask is that I was also born with a dysphasia, instead of a hip replacement though I had a peri acetabular osteotomy where they realigned my bad hip instead of replacing it. 

Have you discussed any of your concerns about having a prosthetic hip with your consultant? 

• Posted

I think so because the socket is so worn down and deformed, there is very little movement now that I think there is little good in keeping it and the alignment between my left and my right hip is has a near inch difference which causes me to limp.
    • Posted

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! You are doing the right thing by going ahead with the surgery as it will change your life, not physically but mentally as well. I don't think you should worry too much about recovery as you are young but everyone is different. My recovery has taken a little longer as the doctors where I live are a bit slack! But finally after 8 weeks I am now able to walk unaided, I am able to drive again and will be returning to work next week smile 
    • Posted

Thats fantastic news! 8 weeks isnt to shabby in my opinion but like you said everybody is different. Hopefully ive got age on my side. I think though if it takes me 9 weeks to get back to work etc like you then ill be onto a winner. Good luck with work next week smile
    • Posted

I think 9 weeks is a good target! I'm just a tad younger than you and I think that's part of the reason my recovery has been quite easy! If I can give you any advice though is start physio as soon as you can, and use a pool as well! My surgeon wanted me to do hydrotherapy but with my location that was impossible, I got myself to a local pool and used some of the exercises from physio in the pool and that helped me loads! 
  • Posted

Hi. I was diagnosed at 44 with having a R dysplastic hip. So I'd been pregnant 4 times by then. I carried without knowing of the dysplasia & had 4 great pregnancies.

I am waiting for a hip replacement, Last year I had investigative surgery - arthroscopy to try to repair the acetabulum.That's when they discovered the arthritis.

I am now 46 & in a great deal of pain, I take alot of strong medication which isn't doing my body any good & the restrictions are affecting my daily life in a negative way. I am having a non cemented replacement so that it can be redone in 15-20 years (if I last that long).

Talk to your consultants secretary, tell her your concerns, make another appt, you are young, he should be happy to answer any Q's you have.

Good luck

best wishes

Westie ☺

• Posted

Hi doll I was prescribed anti inflammatory last summer which I've suppose to have taken but I haven't because I don't like the possible side effects. I did for a short amount of time but read that they could give you holes in your stomach lining. I was diagnosed with the dysphasia when I was 2 years old so it's always been inevitable that I was need this surgery. I just feel anxious as I've read that if I have a metal replacement I could be at risk of harming the baby if I ever was to get pregnant because of the metal ions. i could carry on for another 5 years but I feel like I'm becoming more and more conscious of my decline in mobility and want to be able to live a active life. I also start back at university at the end of September and haven't yet got the date of the op which is supposed to be between now and then.

:-)

• Posted

Hi, the new hips I'm told last longer. I had a metal/plastic one 15 years ago and it's still ok. I have just had the other one done with ceramic on ceramic - the surgeon said it would see me out! (I'm 62). Do you know what material you are having? the ceramic ones are said to be very hard wearing though might squeak - mine hasn't yet 4weeks from op.

My first done in my 40s  a bit older than you!  I was born with a dislocated hip and then got severe arthritis snd  like you I got limited movement and a lot of pain. I put the op off for as long as possible but in the end was finding it very difficult to sleep. In those days there was a long wait so I had months that were very difficult. I can honestly say that op made such a difference to my life. I recovered quickly and the relief of no pain was marvellous. I certainly don't regret having it done. You recover much more quickly when you are young.

I can't comment on having children as I didn't have any. I'm sure your surgeon could advise you though. I would think everyone's hiips are different.

Good luck with your op.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reassuring words. I think because the leg is do restricted now it would definitely be in my favour. The restriction in my leg effects my self esteem too. If I have sex I always find myself apologising afterwards because of the restriction which makes me seem very insecure. I know this seems like to much info but one thing that has struck me is the lack information available regarding being intimate after surgery.

In regards to pain I have been lucky this year not to have suffered a great deal but last summer was horrific it helped me come to the decision in ways because I felt at 24 I was to young to have to deal with not being mobile enough to have fun, it kind of left me depressed. I'm sure things will be ok it's just quite nice to speak of your fears with people who have been through what you are about to go through

Kind regards

• Posted

I am sure your partner will understand and you will be able to look forward to the pain being relieved. You shouldn't need to apologise!   A lot of people suggest that they get partners to watch the operation on Utube  so they know what you have to go through!
  • Posted

Reading this is like reading my story! I too suffered with depression because while all my friends were out dancing the night away I was sat in the corner of the club being boring because I was in so much pain. I was told I needed a replacement at 28, I held off for a couple of years but gave in at 30.

I too was worried about pregnancy but my surgeon advised there would be no issues, he did suggest that a c-section would probably have to be done to avoid putting too much pressure on the joint. I have to say situations changed and I haven't actually had kids :0(

Everyone is different and will respond differently. For me recovery has been slow but I am in very little pain now and don't live a life with painkillers. Don't rush the recovery, as frustrating as it is make sure you do everything you are told.

• Posted

How long was your recovery? As your quite young? They say the younger you are the quicker it is for you to recovery. I don't want to rush it but it does makes me feel anxious knowing that I start back at uni for my final year at the end of September and I haven't got a date. It's nice to talk to people who have got similar story's sometimes talking to your friends about your worrys seems pointless as they haven't really got the perspective on what it's like etc. hopefully you'll be in a position soon when you'll have children. In ways this whole ordeal with my hip has left my confidence quite low and I kind of avoid intimacy. Hopefully that'll all change after I've recovered from the surgery

smile

• Posted

I had eight weeks of work and then went back on a phased return. The first 6 weeks are the hardest and no matter how well you think you are recovering stick to the rules. I had one crutch for about 3 months in total after the initial 6 weeks but my muscles were none existent.

I have been incredibly lucky as my partner has been very understanding. Just take your recovery day by day and don't rush anything.

I hope all goes well for you 😊

• Posted

Good morning dollindi from across the pond , you must have suffered so much either the septic arthritis. Oi can't even imagine.

On the bright side with the THR you will feel so.much better.and if you can Waite to have a baby after the surgery heals About two years. There should be no problem with pregnancy or running after the baby when he or she is a toddler.

I say two yrs.Because that's how long it takes for the complete bone grafting onto the implant.

Infant your quality of life will be so much better after surgery. Best to you xxx hugs

• Posted

Should have printed infact your quality of life will be so much better after surgery.lol
    • Posted

Thank you so much doll I hope so to.. Yes the septic arthritis was the most horrific pain I've ever experienced, I have a 4 inch scar on my bum from where they had to drain the fluid. It feels good knowing that soon that problematic hip will be no more. Thank you so much for your reassuring words this forum has helped me so much in such little time. smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.