Anxiety and depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed 3 months ago with hypothyroidism and have been on 50mg of levothyroxine for that time. Since being diagnosed, I have felt worse. Much more tired and low. I now appear to be suffering with a lot of anxiety and struggling to cope with those everyday problems that we all have. I am also feeling depressed for much of the time...

i have been back to the doctors and was given another blood test, only to be told my TSH is now normal. He seemed shocked that I felt worse and said normally everyone feels better!

i am now being sent for a fasting blood test for B12 and diabetes.

what are your thoughts on this please...x

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't let them omit the full iron study. I became bad and it affects your adrenal output if you are low in any way on iron, you don't have to be anaemic. As well as the B12 make sure they test folate as those two work in partnership. Other hypothyroid deficiencies which make you feel pants are zinc, vit D, vit A and tbh quite a few other deficiencies but those with the iron and folate are the main ones. Anxiety is pretty nasty, I get it and I have low T3 which the nhs  REFUSE to test for most people and I have low iron and folate and have b12 once a month. I also have Addison's disease so I have to balance the need for thyroid with the need for hydrocortisone. I think with your symptoms you probably have Hashimoto's which isn;t purely hypothyroidism it is an autoimmune disease which causes you to become hypothyroid. You can be tested for it with antibody tests TPOab, TGab and just to make sure you don't have a bit of Graves too TSI ab.

Good luck, hope you feel better soonx

• Posted

I have hashis am also diabetic doc is testing for vitamin deficiency , my tsh is 2.38 ft4 1.1 low ft3 2.3 low I take 5 mcg cytomel and 62.5 synthyroid when I try to raise my t4 I get morning shakes. My b12 is 358 on the low side. Cortisol 3 points over range ACTH 2 points over range could this cause me to shake? 
    • Posted

Is it common to get morning shakiness when raising t4? Does it go away? 
    • Posted

This is my cortisol and ACTH labs

cortisol 25.9 range --4-22

acth-53-range--6-50 

are my adrenals stressed? I am so worried they are . 

• Posted

Thank you ladydawn, that sounds like a lot of good advice. Now that I  have started the ball rolling, it seems clear i must keep going until the doctor gets to the bottom of it. I just want to feel like me again. x
  • Posted

Dear Kara

May I ask you what your TSH was?

As I understand it the TSH is not an indicator of the thyroid disorder.

• Posted

Hi Jean, it was 16 three months ago with low T4 but is now 2 point something x
    • Posted

Hi Kara

Thanks for the info.

Mine was 0.17 in May then went down further to 0.17 in June. T4 was 16.5, T3 not done , TPOA were less than 33. I have a multinodular goitre and see an endocrine surgeon on Tuesday.

• Posted

Hi Kara

I ave done it again, that is made a mistake with the TSH level.

In May it was 0.17, T4 16.5 T3 not done, TPOA were less than 33.

In June the TSH was 0.16.

Jean.

• Posted

they say wait six months after starting thyroxine, then have another blood test. Gives a more accurate level. Your metabolism needs time to adjust. It also affects your nervous system and you go through all sorts of emotions. Diabetes and thyroid have similar symptoms hence the additional blood test. Hope all goes well for you. Keep in touch 😊 
    • Posted

Yes he did say to wait 6 months but I saw a locum doctor about the anxiety/depression and she said to have the blood test. I'm just puzzled as to why my own doctor was so surprised about how I am feeling and said he had never heard of people feeling worse...and yet everything I read on here tells a different story...thank you for your message x
    • Posted

Hi Beaubic and Shelly

I am feeling very depressed at the moment and would be grateful if someone could e mail me. members have and I hate to be a nuisance but I am feeling petrified of going to see the endo surgeon and having a biopsy of the multiodular goitre. Please has anyone else had a biopsy and if so did they feel as scared as me?

Jean x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.