Anxiety been really bad for past few days

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been taking 15mg of mirtazapine for around 5-6weeks now. In the beginning it really helped me sleep to the point I was finding it hard to stay awake during the day as the weeks have gone on that seems to have died down and in finding it much easier to stay awake but finding it hard to sleep now I fall asleep ok but I wake up through the night constantly. And then a couple of days ago I forgot to take it one night and the next day I felt awful I had a thumping headache felt sick and shaky felt knackered but couldn't sleep I don't know if this was due to forgetting to take my tablet but the next day I felt fine again. Also the passed week my anxiety has been really bad I can't leave the house even to visit my mum. I'm feeling quite down about this as for the first few weeks I was getting on great with it managing to go out and about without feeling nervous and anxious but now I feel like I'm back to square one worse even had anyone got any advice as to why I'm feeling like this again and if I should just say to my doctor I don't want them anymore or to try something else I really don't know what to do??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi!  I was on Remeron for more than two years.  Started off on low-dose initially, and had some side effects like wrestless-legs, anxiety, couldn't stay awake during the days... ironically, I learned that the higher the dose, the fewer the side effects.  Maybe your doctor would try you on 30mg for a while to see if this is true for you as well.  I've read people report this allll the time.  Hope that might help?
  • Posted

Hi Diane, I have been taking the same and I found weeks 4 to 6 particularly bad. 

I had increased to 30mg on week 4. But I must say I decided I need to come off it. The anxiety was the worst I have ever had. Usualy the first two weeks you could feel worse before you get better. But I found that not to be the case with these. Sleep? Yes it helped a little then not at all after a few days. I would see your GP and see what they say. But give it time and a few good people in here shall contact you and advice you who have more experience then me. 

Try and take it easy and realise, yes, these meds can certainly add to your problems. Also waking with a start increased with me on these. Espeically after a afternoon snooze.

• Posted

My psychiatrist told me there are always ups and downs with recovery from depression and anxiety, so it could just be that. Also worrying about anxiety is counterproductive, it just increases the anxiety. So I suggest you be kind to yourself, remind yourself that you have been getting better, you're just having a temporary blip. You could ask your doctor if you can go up to 30mg, because you have found the mirtazapine helped. I'm on 30mg mirtazapine with 225mg venlafaxine, and it works for me.
    • Posted

Hi pixie, thanks for the reply I know worrying isn't great with anxiety, just a have an 8 year old little girl and on the days I have really bad anxiety I feel bad not being able to do the things I should be doing with her. I had thought about asking to go up to 30mg but was worried that would make me sleep a lot more again! I suppose it's all just trial and error finding what works for you. Thanks again for four help, ❤️
  • Posted

Hi Diane

Sorry for your suffering, I think your increased anxiety is because of the broken sleep, which might just simply be because you forgot to take a dose a few nights ago.  As you felt so ill the next day this shows how sensitive you are when not taking it - and your system had got used to and relied upon Mirtazapine.  So Pixie may just be right, it could be a blip from the missed dose ~ but if you don't settle down within say a week, it might be better to speak to your doctor as you shouldn't be having worse symptoms than you did before you took the med.

The lower doses are more sedating, usually used for insomnia and anxiety, the higher doses 30 & 45mg for depression, although some people with depression prefer the 15 mg as it helps then sleep more.  

If you do decide Mirt' isn't for you, make sure you do a slow taper, those symptoms you experienced missing one nights dose would increase if you suddenly stopped.  10% every 3-4 weeks is best.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.