Anxiety effecting my working pattern...any advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've worked in a local shop for nearly two years now. It's a very social place, and it's really busy. The aim is to be as friendly and out there as you can and you absolutley have to interact with customers. I've enjoyed this job for the time i've been working there however recently my anxiety is flaring up again. I'm starting to dread going to work, the thought of it makes my throat close up and i feel like crying. I've taken my shifts down to now one a week and I can't bring myself to do overtime. It makes me feel really lazy, and the worst part is that I'm desperate for the money, but I just can't face a shift that's more busy then my regular one. 

The problem is confrontation with people/strangers, and in this job it's impossible to avoid. I've been fine with it in the past but recently I'm struggling to deal with it. I've now cut down my hours to just 6 a week and i'm desperate for money, but i can't face going into work. I think i'm going to get a new job that isn't in retail, but does anyone have any advice that might help me in day to day life, or had something similar?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What do you mean by confrontation Becky?

Are the customers difficult to deal with or do you mean your anxiety is making it difficult to deal with the customers?

If it's the latter I would just go & do my shift even if I felt anxious, what's the worst that can happen? You'll soon be busy & won't have the time to let the anxiety build, even if it does just let it be there

Jobs are hard to come by and you need the money, just go for it

Let us know how you get on you'll be ok

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Becky, is it just dealing with customers that is a problem or do you worry about other things as well? I know it's tough but try and push yourself to go in a bit more often. Sitting around at home does nothing for anxiety and you will likely only find different things to worry about all day instead! It may be worth trying to find a different job if you think it will be a long term problem but even in an office environment you will have to deal with people and confrontation so it may not help as much as you think. It's worth starting to update your CV and keep an ear out though for something more suitable, you never know what may come up! Either way try and keep busy as in my experience, anxiety will always find a way to test its ugly head even if you are avoiding the things you think are the problem! x
    • Posted

*rear its ugly head!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.