Anxiety has been ruining my life for the last 6/7yrs

Posted , 6 users are following.

even tho I was only diagnosed recently. I'm 34yrs old,smoker and due to my problems a pretty heavy drinker typically 6+ tins every nite without fail, ironically I take them to help me but know it's doing the opposite. It's been 6/7 yrs now but the last 2 have been hell.it started with pins n needles in my face then pains in my arms and legs was convinced I was having a stroke even tho I obviously wasn't as this could happen ten times a day but I was always convinced each time. Then symptoms progressed to pains n tightness in chest, aching bones n muscles, headaches etc etc. I have self diagnosed everything from stroke heart attract n cancer sounds stupid wen my doc can't find anything physically wrong wit me. Yet still 24hrs a day I'm convinced I'm dying. I'm on melds its sertraline which has definitely reduced the number of attacks I have from 10 a day to a few a week, but it's always in the back of my mine. I have a 19month old son and 15week old twin boys n my life ,should b perfect but it ain't!!! Anxiety is ruining it I have severe mood swings I feel tired all the time n have no energy for anything anymore, does any1 else feel like this out there

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who can help?
  • Posted

Hi yes I feel exactly the same,I've had anxiety for over 20 years, I also think I'm dying everyday and it sucks.such negative thoughts. I also get angry,depressed, your not alone
  • Posted

You have to give up the booze and cigs that is a trigger.

Go and see your doctor to be diagnosed properly.

All the symptoms are classic anxiety.

Consider therapy to learn how to cope with it

Stay Strongredface

• Posted

Thanks guys, I been on a waiting list to see a counsellor 4months now still no word. I gave up da fags n booze last month manage 2 1/2 wks and I actually felt a little better but stil went back on them again it's an easy excuse but I never feel severe anxiety with a few beers, but as we know with alcohol we all think we get a better sleep but in fact a doc told me1hr sleep without alcohol is 10x better 4 u than 8hrs with alcohol. It's just a vicious circle, but it's some way comforting to here others who feel da same.  A few yrs ago I would have laughed at someone who said they suffer from depression n anxiety believing it was an excuse not to work r something but now I totally understand how disabling this condition actually is. It's also a very embarrassing thing to tell people sometimes stupidly I wish I had some other  more physical condition so I wouldnt feel embarrassed telling people wats  wrong with me.
    • Posted

Can you call to see if they have made any progress on your appointment?
  • Posted

Hi Aidan,

When I started reading your first post, I actually thought I had written it myself.

I too would self medicate with 6 or more cans of beer per night accompanied with numerous ciggs!! This had been going on for many years. I am also 34 with a 6month old and thankfully a very understanding wife.

As a result Of various life stresses and the above

alcohol abuse, I developed chronic anxiety. Been on Sertraline, it just messed me up even more. Then tried fluoexitine, again symptoms totally messed me up and now i am day 1 with Venlaflaxine. This time the doc has prescribed diazepam to counteract any side effects so fingers crossed.

In any case, I gave up the booze and fags only last week and I already notice a reduction in my anxiety. Don't get me wrong, it is most def still there and poor but the booze made it unbearable the next day!!

Hope things go better for you. I'm hoping this new stuff i'm on works. Started exercising alot which is def helping. I'd highly recommend that.

All the best!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.