Anxiety help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was a victim of domestic violence and as a result sustained a broken ankle (nearly mended) I due to go to court next week to give evidence but I'm absolutely crapping it as I'm going through every nightmare scenario , I don't want to go and am suffering anxiety and worry about the whole thing, is there any medication I can take to help me get through the trial ? Any advice would be appreciated

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It should be possible for you to give evidence behind a screen or remotely so you dont have to face the person who hurt you. That would relieve some of the anxiety  Any medication would take a while to take effect -
    • Posted

Thanks the witness support suggested the screen I think I will go for it as it will help not having to look at him
  • Posted

If you are in UK,have a word with your GP who will be aware of your injuries and the trauma you have suffered. He/she should be able to give you something to help with your anxiety. 
  • Posted

Caroline,

If it doesn't loop you out too bad the very thing would be a Xanax it would calm your nerves right down. I think maybe if you think about it and get the right mindset you will be fine too. This person that did this to you deserves to have to pay for what they did so just look at it like that. I would talk to a doctor and see if they can get you something for your nerves though so you won't be such a wreck. God Bless and I hope everything goes alright.

• Posted

Caroline,

Your very welcome hun, we all need support sometimes and caring for others is what I think  we're all suppose to do. God cared for us and we should try to follow example. God Bless you and I hope everything goes well for you...

• Posted

Thank you , it's been a awful 8 weeks being stuck indoors and feeling helpless , just want this trial over and done with so I can get on with my life , I know I've got to be strong even though I feel like running away .

• Posted

Morning Caroline;  I agree with all the above answers, and am trully sorry that you, and anyone, has to go through what you have been through, and what is ahead of you:  and you are one of the brave ones who is "going ahead with your case", as many others are too frightened to go ahead, hence the reason that violence has become out of control.

?What I am also suggesting that you may want to also consider, is seeking some "emotional support" through some sessions with a Psychologist/cousellor who specializes in this area, as No-one ccould "just go on with their life", after going through what you have.   Your GP/anyone involved with the prosecution (police/judge/social worker.....) should be able to arrange this for you, and at the expense of the government.....this is something that I feel very strongly about, for your state of mind Long_

?term............you will need Grief Counselling, and then strategies to be able to move forward, without "always THINKING" of this episode.....you do need a further life, without the worry of "It Happening Again".

Hoping that you get through all stages safely......and will be thinking of you, so do let us know how things go.       ...........Bron

• Posted

Bronwyn, such kindness and good thoughts from people I don't know means so much , I am so scared and I just hope I can get through the trial

• Posted

Caroline,

I know it's nerve racking to have to do something like this, but I just keep thinking if he gets by with what he did to you how many others will suffer the same fate. You may very well save someones child by sticking with this plus you will get some strength from it and be able to fully get on with your life in the process. I agree with Bron also on getting some counseling after this is all over with get someone to help you sort out your feelings and cope with things even better, hang in there you will do fine. I have faith in that you are stronger than you think. God said he'll never put more on us than we can handle even though you make think you can't your stronger than even you think. God Bless You and give you the strength you need is my prayers for you hun.

• Posted

So very kind and greatly appreciated good wishes , it helps a great deal
    • Posted

Caroline,

Thank you very much hun, and just know that I'm praying for you and I think you will be just fine. Stay Strong hun.

• Posted

Greetings Caroline,  Let me say that I am sorry that this has happened to you.  It should not happen to anyone ever!  You have gotten good advise from all of the other replies.  See your doctor for anti anxiety meds, however, be careful about the dosage.  Good luck with the medication.  Anxiety under the circumstances is very understandable and a screen could also help.  I was once told that "worry" doesn't change the outcome.  If I think back, it was about being prepared, not how much I worried that helped me with anxiety.  We definitely don't control an outcome based on the amount of worrying we do before hand.  I think that trueism helped me if I really thought about it.  In your situation I think you should also get really really angry.  You should not be in this situation.  This was not your fault.  You were the victim and you need to stop being the victim of your emotions.  Meds could help with that.  You have already been hurt enough.  You know what happened and that it was wrong!  You are STRONG and can tell your story in court, like a hard slap in the face of that jack*ss.  Your strength, your ability to stand up for your self and your rights will make you feel really powerful and good.  Would you feel anxiety or anger if this happened to a friend or to your teenage daughter??  ANGER! and that is more powerful than fear.  I know you don't want to be in this situation and don't want to have to go to court.  It is scarry!  I don't know anyone who would think anything else.  But,YOU are more important then any friend or relative so you should feel anger for what happened to you.  Tell your story strongly.  That's all you can do since the outcome is in the hands of others.  GOOD LUCK next week.  You deserve it.  

• Posted

This was such a wonderful reply , I've read your message several times and it actually has helped me a lot , thanks xx

• Posted

Thank you Caroline.  Let us know how everything goes.  Devs Mom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.