Anxiety: how long and what's cure ?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am suffering anxiety since 2008 it started when in was 22 it still goes on, episode comes goes, disturbed my whole life, just wanna ask what this anxiety why does it happen to anyone is there any specific reason is it heredity or what? And how long it will go on is there any time period after that it will go off or atleast start decreasing? And is there any proper cure like med, yoga, meditation, therapy ? And what's science behind this anxiety mechanism, please help me if any one can answer my questions.thanks smile

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anxiety is usually triggered by something traumatic in your life eg death

There is a switch in your brain and its broken it is telling you your in danger when your not

Meds help for some but therapy teaches you how to cope

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

I can't speak for regular anxiety but I have postpartum anxiety and depression. My grandma had an extreme case. My mom also had it, but not as bad. And now I have it. Not sure if it is all hereditary but I can speak for atleast this kind.. You have to find the root of it. Even if you don't believe there is one, something happened that stuck in your mind. Maybe you didn't find it a big deal, but your mind did.. Ive heard once you find that, it all falls into place. PPD is said to go away within 3 to 4 years if left untreated. I find this hard to believe be ause after all I've been through the past 6 months, I highly doubt my brain will just go back to normal one day.. I guess we will see!
  • Posted

It's true that anxiety often runs in families, but that because of learned behavior and not because of genes.  And since we live more fearfully and stressfully than others, our bodies become symptomatic.

Yes, I think all you mentioned - medication, yoga, relaxation methods would aid you in conquering this troublesome problem with the right information, help and support.

• Posted

Anxiety can be a problem for your entire life,and there is no cure. Sounds like your looking for research, so your probably better using Google for that, or ask a dr
  • Posted

Hi,wow if we knew all that,we wouldnt have anxiety. I myself have had it at different degrees since I was a child. I think life situations,stressers,tragedy etc program us to some degree as to wether we have anxiety. Ive looked back and listed in my head tramatic events since childhood. I do think these events trigger it for some people. As for what helps,probably all of the above,varies for each person. Xx
  • Posted

Hi petarian

I fully understand wat u saying my also started in 2008 and it's been on and off had it reall bad last year where I wouldn't even leave the house 😔 then it seemed to fade away and has come back again about a month now, it affects my work my social life and I would love answers and a cure or to take a magic pill that takes it all away but unfortunately the meds and breathing and meditation stuff is just to help you cope with it until u can't understand the root, and to tackle the problem head on! Easier said than done I know i hope for all ppl that struggle with this that its not a life long thing cause it's not easy!!

Just take to take one day at time stay strong!!!

• Posted

I have anxiety well the doctors say I have anxiety. I suffer from chest pains n heart fluttering n sometimes it feels like someone us squezzunf my heart n I have pain n My left arm n hand I have had a stress which came back normal n echo n all my EKG are fairly normally except I do have an irregular heartbeat so I'm not really sure if it's anxiety or really heart related lately I have been in edge n today it became worse one of my first cousins died has anyone else felt like this the pain is constant

• Posted

I haven't had anxiety as long as you have but I think it doesn't completely go away...per se until you no longer perceive it to be as "dangerous" (for lack of better diction at the moment). Anxiety is like a defense mechanism, usually one will feel anxiety before they have to speak publicly or take an exam or waiting for medical test results, etc which are normal.

Anxiety is only a real problem when it can interfere with your ability to function. It comes about when a traumatic event happens (this is subjective and differs person to person). I would say anxiety decreases when you no longer perceive it as a threat like you've gotten so used to public speaking that it's not a thing to get worked up over or you've developed coping mechanisms that help you manage your triggers to prevent your anxiety from intensifying, at least in my experience. I've only been actively dealing with anxiety for about 4-5 years and I would say it I don't get as anxious anymore but there are still moments that send my stress levels skyrocketing before I can manage to calm myself down again. Just something I accept and I think acceptance is one of the best things you can do for yourself if you have anxiety.

• Posted

I think you are spot on about no longer thinking of anxiety or the thing you are anxious about as a threat.
    • Posted

Thanx Allison it means a lot to me, as I have been suffering from anxiety since last 8 years in the begning it was only panic disorder which occurred all of sudden there was non trauma or trigger it was my university last year and I was enjoying it and one night I had my first panic attack then it lead to GAD now, now I can say I have cope with panic disorder almost but this GAD (unknown fear anxiety physical feelings ) are disturbing me sometimes episode become so sever I can not brief those days but I'm still fighting it and hopefully will get out of it if not completely atleast 90% I'm on medication right now no other treatment like CBT, therapies, counseling, yoga, meditation, lifestyle changes its just medication and hope .

• Posted

There isnt a cure. Its usually lifelong. You learn to manage it. Its your thoughts and mind that feed into it. You cant fear the fear. It is said to be gentic and learned. It can go away but it returns at some point. Imortant to go on utube and watch a video on the science behind a panic attack. Managing it is the key. There will moments its really hard to manage. Yoga is good to learn will teach you how to calm your body.cbt is good to learn to ratiinalize your thoughts and symotoms. 
  • Posted

Thanks a lot everyone you answers means a lot to me I have been struggling since last eight years, starting few years I didn't knew what it is and I rush to emergency room every time it hits me and got very sensitive about my health and got all reports checked visited many doctors and many of them told me its anxiety and deal with it and gave me sedative medications but didn't worked out and now after 8 years when I actual accept I'm anxiety patient and may be depression too and what I come to know that this thing have no cure no medications and it wont go by itself its very much depressing in itself and making me anxious right now but what can I do just to live with it and try to avoid it and what ..........
    • Posted

Anxiety is so common. I have no problem admitting i have it. Meds help me somewhat. Xx
    • Posted

Then why does I get in deep fear while thinking that I have disease that have no cure and that will increase my all other fears to its peak although I accept and know its anxiety and feeling more anxious will make me depress but how to cope it is it just wait for episode to over ...
    • Posted

.You have to try and repair the broken switch.

Distract yourself dont dwell on the attacks keep busy exercise meditate

Go to therapy even simple things like breathing properly helps with anxiety

• Posted

I think when a person has anxiety they over think most everything. At least I do. Drives me nuts at time,i cant turn my brain off then I google everything and I mean everything. The key is to try and flip the swtch off,easier said then done I know. Do something that you absolutely love if you can. Nature is also a great stress reliever for some. Wish I had the answers, i struggle each day. Xx
    • Posted

Your welcome Petrarian.

I think we can all understand what you are dealing with and how it affects you.

Anxiety isn't easy to deal with.

cause it tends to either make a person hyper active or withdrawn due to the intensity of anxiety.

the impression I'm getting from you is that your anxiety is affecting in such a way that you perhaps worry more than you should?

try to be patient with yourself.

its never easy to calm down when ones anxiety level is high.

I worry a lot and it never does me any good.

but its a mind set and that's not easy to change.

anyway you hold on in there.

take care

best wishes

T

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.