Anxiety, nausea and Omeprazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering from anxiety and recently been prescibed sertralin (been taking 12 days now). Whether the nausea i am experiencing is due to the anxiety or the sertraline I don't know. My doctor has prescibed Omeprazole to line my stomach.

is anyone else in a similar plight.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Many drugs can cuase the body to react by producing too much acid.

Your doctor has considered your sertralin may be doing this and causing your nausea which is why he's put you on this drug to reduce excess acid.

If you continue to experience nausea, see him again and he may prescribe an anti-emetic like domperidone which may help.

• Posted

Hi There,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

From experience, I know that anxiety made me produce so much more stomach acid. I was 1st prescribed omeprazole to counteract that. It worked after a few weeks, so I would suggest giving it a bit of time.

The nausea could well be the anxiety meds, its worth mentioning it to the GP because there are so many different types that you should be able to find one that doesn't make you feel sick.

Good luck!

• Posted

I've been taking omeprazole with citalopram to lessen the nausea and it worked well. I am now on sertraline and after quitting citalopram for 2 weeks I'm stopping the omeprazole too. Will keep you updated on how it goes..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.