Anxiety or stroke/TIA ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, i am male, 23, student in my last year. I am really confused right now. I would really apreciate if someone could help me with some professional advice or sharing history if it happend to somebody else too.

It all started on 7 July 2016 when i got out of work.. first of all i have to mention that i drank a lot the night before it happened (until 4AM) ..at 7 AM i went to work...and when i finished, at 5PM i fainted in the bus...didn't feel to well ...went home..and i sat down a bit...in a sudden moment i felt like i was fainting again...then i looked into the mirror and had the feeling like my right part of the face was dropping..everything was so unreal, i couldn't speak fluent or think straight.Every second i looked into the mirror horrified me..instantly i got scared, i was sure it was a stroke...and my heart beat raised instantly...after 30 minutes..i calmed down (or not)..3 days passed (staying in bed and not eating a lot)..i didn't tell anyone and i checked all the internet, and of course, after all i have read i thought i was going to die (of stroke). Day 4: I went to the doctor, told her everything, she said it was hypocalcemia and told me to take calcium/magnesium pills....i took them...stress wasn't going away (i didn't feel better). Days have passed, i went 3 times to the doctor to see why i feel so tired, so stressed, so unwell, and feeling like fainting and she told me that i had nothing (she insisted that it's only in my head). 20 August 2016 - i fainted (for no reason) when i was reading for my exams,  i felt my left foot a bit numb (but not that much) mom called an ambulance..and they told me the same thing : hypocalcemia...and recomended to do a set of blood tests. (there were lots of them) 

22 August: blood tests+urine done. 

23 August: Test results were almost perfect, but the cholesterol had a very low different value (nothing dangerous, the doctor told me to go jogging when i have free time).

In present, i feel better but those are the sympthoms i still experience: rarely times when i focus on objects or when i am outside i feel like my mind gets empty and derealisation, like a dream.. i have blurry vision (i will soon have my eyes checked) and sometimes i feel like i have slow control on my hands or feet (but only when i concentrate on them)...

..what am i missing? what is this actually, a stroke or anxiety? or something else? what do i have to do?

(CT brain scan is out of the plan because the doctor says i don't need it, but how could she know? ..anyway i don't have that much money now to do it on my own) i really need some good answers.

Sorry for my english if i miss-spelled something, and thank you for taking time to read!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Now I am assuming your blood pressure was taken during every consult, even by the paramedics ? Low blood pressure can cause this bliurred vision, fainting and weakness.

Generally in a TIA or Stroke , more so with TIA symptoms usually subside anywhere from 5 minutes to maybe a couple of hours, just leaving you weak, Strokes can do  permanent damage  I.E...... loss of use of limbs, unable to talk, it's can leave you just laying in bed paralysed like.

Was any neurological motor skills done on you ? like watching the doctors finger move around, did he / she get you to squeeze their hands, get you to push their hands away, etc etc, if you had gone to emergency and I suppose it depends which country you are from I suppose, usually a CT- Scan is done to simply rule out any event.

No-one knows exactly what to low a cholesterol can do to us yet, their is new research showing, well so they say, that cholesterol hasn't anything to do with heart disease now, until my cardiologists tell me different I'm not totally convinced with the new research.

Basically if you have been given the all clear, you would be suffering some kind of anxiety, anyone would when they pass out just like that and experience what you did. It's only natural to feel kind of funny for awhile, just don't let the negative thoughts get into your brain otherwise you are setting yourself up for full blown anxiety.

Just another thought, when they took blood for tests was a tox test ordered, one would think it mandatory in the health profession, Could your drink(s) of been spiked ?

• Posted

Thanks for your response, Samuel

I am from Romania.

Seems like everything with my blood is ok, and i have done some neurological tests too like squeezing hands and equilibrium exercises and it was ok.

My drinks were fresh, i drank only beer ..no way they could've been spiked.

Anyway, i can tell you that after the results i feel better, i have almost no palpitations left and i finally slept well (couldn't sleep so good or at all in the last 2 months)..but still, i think about a stroke or TIA because of those minor symptoms.

You said that a TIA can leave you weak, and yes, i am weak but i think and hope all the stress and not sleeping caused this.

I am waiting for my eyes to be checked (15th September) and maybe after i will wear glasses those symptoms pass away.

Thanks for your reply! I wish you the best !

• Posted

Glad to hear your anxiousnees has settled down, that's good to here you can go out without having to worry about your drinks being spiked. I hope everything settles down completely for you.

Hope all goes well for you and look after yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.