Anxiety over symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Quick background. I was diagnosed with anemia and am taking iron supplements and trying to rebuild the iron in my blood. The anemia has left me severely weak, short of breath with chest pains and headache nausea etc. my blood pressure has been fluctuating.

I am concerned over these symptoms now. I have been anxious since I felt very weak Sunday night and have since been to the ER of which they did not run tests. Right now I am very weak with a terrible headache and palpitations and I've been so uncomfortable and depressed since this started. I hate going to the ER, I hate this weak feeling I never know if this is an emergency or what.

Someone PLEASE shed some light onto this for me

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What did the ER say? Anemia can cause these issues. Why do you feel you have an anxiety disorder? 
    • Posted

I had one years ago so I have lingering anxiety sometimes. The ER said I had to rebuild my blood back, that I "look anemic".

• Posted

lisalisa67 is right, Anemia can cause these issues and the ER should have tested your blood, they can have the results within 30-60 minutes.  Call your Dr and have a blood test ASAP.
    • Posted

I saw my PCP but I was much too weak to give blood the following day. Trying to hold on to each shred of blood I have smh.. I am going this coming Tuesday to give blood and have my levels tested.
  • Posted

Good luck. I bet it justs your body getting use to the supplement. 
  • Posted

Hi Alex, you seem to be well aware that these symptoms are all common in sever aneamia, and aneamia can frequently effect your mood and increase the physical effects of anxiety. The original blood results that your Dr made the diagnosis from should mean that he does have a reason to believe your aneamia is due to an iron deficiency & thats what he is treating. Unfortunatly for a number of reasons it can take some time for your blood levels to improve, but they will over a period of some weeks. There is not really very much you can do to speed things up other than taking a good varied diet, some fresh orange juice with your iron can also improve absorbtion.. In the mean time you need to take it easy, the more you push yourself the more obvious the symptoms will be. No one likes feeling ill and weak and its not surprising it makes you feel anxious, the specific effects of aneamea add to this feeling. You need to take plenty of rest and pamper yourself till you start feeling better, your Dr should monitor how things are going and will be able to tell you how your blood levels are changing. Remember that iron can cause stomach upsets itself, thats something to be aware of. I hope that its clear why you have become so aneamic, if it isnt this is something you should discuss with your Dr. In the mean time, hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you! I'm trying to rest it is a big burden and a constant worry but I feel about 5% better every daysad thank you for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.