Anxiety, panic attacks, medication! Help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, I need to speak to anyone who has had the same experiences as not sure what it is I have....... Around 2-3 years ago I was put on sertraline 150mg for anxiety. I then this year springtime weaned myself off them so by summer I was pill free! 

Anyway i I had been getting bouts of anxiety not a lot so thought would go back on them at 50mg, that evening I was sick! I carried on taking them and then a few days later whilst driving I got myself stressed out that I thought I was going to faint, so I pulled over and was dizzy and just felt weird! Along with the anxiety stomach pains I thought there was something really wrong with me! My mum called an ambulance, taken to hospital couldn't find anything wrong with me except dehydration and white cell count slightly up. Ecgs were fine etc. (I think I had a panic attack or side effects of my tablets)

since then i have just had anxiety symptoms main things are stomach churning, palpitations chest pain, dizziness. Went back to gp and told to up my sertraline to 100mg (which was a few days ago) last night I had a big panic attack I was on the computer and had a lump form in my throat and turned to my partner and screamed I don't feel well I'm choking! (I wasn't) then came the feeling of faintness, body burning up, weird sensation tingling over my body, increased palpitations and restlessness. I got chills and hot flushes and I was convinced I was dying and something really wrong with me., even a stroke but isn't I'm only 35.

today, I have had the churning stomach, palpitations and hot flushes, weakness, and my scalp and inside my head feel really hot! And I'm scared that what happened last night will happen again. 

Is this normal, or do you think side effect of my pills? I feel alone as my partner does not seem to understand that I cannot control this and the fear I'm in.

please help, need to speak to people who feel the same.

liz x

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi hunni I'm also on sertraline and when I first started them I was a complete mess

Over the space of 5 years I've gone from 50 mg to 175mg

It does heighten your anxiety not with everyone but it is common

Just try to remember it will pass always remind yourself it's ok to feel the anxiety it's not going to hurt you just try sit calm and take in nice deep breaths through your nose till u start to calm,shaking for a while afterwards is also normal as your body has kicked out a lot of adrenaline it takes a while to go

I hope this has helped

I'm struggling at the moment also but I'm determined to fight it xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

I have had the exact same feelings. And it has been the third time in my life that i have the exact same symptoms. Heart racing, hot cold flushes. all those. THis would take some time to go away. But wait and be strong. Cause this is going to end.

This happends after a long term exposure to stress in the last two month or so.

If you have put too much pressure on yourself in the last couple of month this can happen to you. So the best thing to do is to change your attitude and your view of life. Take things easy and try relaxation techniques/

HOpe we all get better soon.

best

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for replying both of you. What is stressing me out is that when I first started taking sertraline I had side effects but nothing like I am experiencing now! I try and keep myself busy to try and not think about things stomach still churn.... Then as soon as I sit down to relax!! So to speak I start thinking about stuff then that's when I go back to this horrible feeling! I'm scared to go to sleep in case I don't wake up! 

Today though I feel extremely tired, lethargic, weak, scalp and inside of head feels burning  also is this normal after a panic attack? 

Xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I haven't heard of setraline a lot here in the US, but I know anxiety medications all have there crappy side effects. Make sure you see a psych and you're on the same page about what anxiety you have and the best ways to control it. I didn't understand much about anxiety until I took a few classes in my nursing program and it helped me so much! It sounds like you're having frequent panick attacks and if that's the case, I know Xanax is a much abused drug but with frequent attacks I think you should talk to your doctor about having some on hand. Especially since a preventative isn't helping you, just the opposite actually. I hope this somewhat helps !
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ok so today at work thought was gonna have another panic attack, lump came back in throat and thought throat was gonna close up and my voice seemed to go croaky and quite!!! Breathed through it didn't have an attack.

Then this evening same thing happened tonight is this normal for your throat to feel like this and feel croaky and weird. Still convinced something wrong with me! Rahhhhhhhh xxx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up