Anxiety/Sleep/ etc

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

​I hope every one is ok, weather does not help I know.

​Tuesday I sweated buckets after a walk, thinning hair plastered to face, not a pretty sight.

I wanted to post because I don't think I have mentioned a herbal tea that has really helped me: Lime Flowers, wonderful tea and really helps with sleep.  I noted Tuesday after starting again on my tea how calm and relaxed I felt.  The anxious twitching/pacing up and done and generally feeling stir crazy.

​Lime flower tea is a wonderful, I discovered it last year in 2014 and find that I can take it for around 6 months at a time. 

I quote from a website:

"Internally – Lime flower has both tranquilizing and stimulating qualities. It is used to relieve headaches, indigestion, diarrhea and hysteria. This herb was once thought to be so effective at treating epilepsy that a person could be cured by sitting beneath the tree. Herbal tea is taken to ease insomnia, relieve tension and anxiety, to calm children who are excitable or restless, and to reduce muscle tension. It is also a pleasant tasting remedy for menstrual cramps, colic and cramping. Due to the bioflavonoids in lime flower and its relaxing qualities, this herb is good for lowering high blood pressure and easing arteriosclerosis, along with treating palpitations and coronary heart disease. Benefits of taking this herbal remedy include reducing fever, especially in children, and it can help congestion of blocked nasal passages".

​You can take a tincture also, I feel IMHO that is is slightly better than lemon balm, slghtly gentler action.

​I just wanted to post this because I feel infinetly better today, I feel calmer, not so nervous..and able to type a post.

​I hope this helps..

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi this sounds brilliant how much do you have to drink a day to feel the benefit x
    • Posted

Hi Donna,

​It is great stuff, and cheap too. I am quite a sensitive soul and find that just have 1 tea at night really helps most of following day.  However it's a lovely tea, very refreshing to have through day.

​Has quite a bitter taste, I don't mind that, you could add honey?  You can buy lime flowers tea online, most good healthfood stores should supply, cost around £2.50 per 20 tea bags. 

Other thing I find is I am not so hot and bothered too.

​For me it's much better than taking any medication of sorts.

Menopause is a time when we all feel so stressed, (understatement)!!!

Hope this helps!

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Highlands,

will try it, keep walking, the benefits are biggrin xx

• Posted

Quite agree, I think the tea will help with this, noticed I am much better today...keep well.
  • Posted

Hi,Highlands 51, thanks for sharing this, I would love to try it.I take medication,so I wonder if I should ask my doctor first before I try it.It sounds wonderful, I need a good sleep,I m anxious all the time,I feel lightheaded,if I move to do housework it sends me into a panic attack!!! I  havnt had a period for 5 months.thanks again for sharing xx
    • Posted

Hi Fudgey, When you mentioned the housework things that's me too, I just was getting so flustered over things, and quite short with people too, which is not really me.  Also sleep, waking up at 4am etc.

Good idea to ask your GP, but I would also do some online research.  I don't know of any problems with medication and something as gentle as lime flowers.   Other herbal medicine can be questionable, herbs such as lemon balm can interfere with thryoid medication (I believe), as an example.

​Trouble is that our hormones are all out of wack, and truthfully I am trying to stay away from GP regarding medication for anxiety etc, I really feel that there are some good alternatives that are better.

​BUT it really is a personal thing, and I for one would not wish to give wrong advise, I know it's difficult.

​Actually funny thing you should mention periods, last one for me was April, and again I am just wondering whether that will be that, get the blessed thing over with...53 in 2 months time..it's about time!

​I will you all the best with this, it may just help!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Highlands,thank you,you ve made me feel a little less crazy lol,I will ask my doctor,i take ranitadine for acid,and I take tablets for my vertigo problems,I ve had inner ear trouble for a few years and I get vertigo a lot,so the menopause has just made everything worse.Is lime flower tea really mild,I m very sensitive to a lot of meds.I keep wondering if that's the end of my periods,it all seems to have stopped very suddenly.I m so pleased you re feeling a lot better,,you can enjoy your birthday now.Take Care xx
    • Posted

Hi Fudgey, sorry to read about your problems with vertigo.   I am very sensititve to meds as well, so not easy I know.  I would say that lime flowers tea is a very mild herbal tea, there are other teas to try.  I would stick to a tea and not go for any tinctures.  I am not a medical herbalist, and have no training etc.  I have been through some tough times and herbs can help, but in moderation, caution is advised.  I honestly feel that lime flowers is better than chamomile, as an example, see how you go and hopefully it will help.   I hope things improve, it's just getting past the peri stage I think.  take care and look after yourself.
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words highland, I appericiate your advice.i ve had a bad experience with herbal medication,that's why I like to take mild doses.I will have a look for the tea.Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Fudgey,

​What a coincidence!  Back in 2007 I saw a herbalist, who at the time thought they knew exactly what they were prescribing, - that they were aware about the side effects of certain herbs, alas not.  Enough said.  It taught me so much about herbal medicince.  It's often perceived as being a "gentle" alternative, however it's not.  One has to be so careful.  

​Also vitamins too.  I learned the hard way.

​I still think herbal medicine has it's place, but...I always stick to dried herbs now, in small quanities.   I also feel putting it into perspective that lime flowers is very gentle say compared to green tea..IMHO. 

​I don't blame you for being wary good idea.  Keep well!

• Posted

Hi Highland, yes we always learn the hard way I tried 5 htp,and was very poorly for weeks,only took two tablets,so I m now very careful.We do have to respect herbs just as much as normal medication.But I do  like the sound of the lime flower tea,I hope you re feeling well xx
    • Posted

Hi, I don't like 5Htp .. you really have to be careful about the source of certain herbs, think I read somewhere that some so called herbal supplements contain anything else but herbs.  The fillers used in some supplements particulary astonishing, and I think its these fillers that don't help.   I never got on with 5Htp left me feeling wired etc, not great.

​I think it's best to just try some teas. 

​I am not so bad, but I wish I had never visited a herbalist when I did, enough said..

​keep well and hope you get along with the tea too!

• Posted

Hi Highlands

Where do you get the lime tea and does it have caffinne in it. I do get restless and have trouble sleeping at night and i do have digestive problems too. 

Where can I pick up the tea may i ask because i need something to calm me at night so i can sleep since this Saturday i am starting a job 

• Posted

Hi Susan,

​You can buy lime flowers tea in most good health food stores, there are some good brands that don't contain caffine.   I don't think I am allowed to mention brands, but look for a green box on line and in good stores.  costs around £2.50-ish for 20 tea bags.  You can also buy loose tea too and mix it with something soothing such as marshmallow which will help with digestive problems, very gentle.  However any biiter herb such as dandelion, artichoke or yarrow can help with digestive disorders - they work to creat more bile, also strengthen and tone the liver.

​But really lime flowers should help you.  Also try to look at what you eat in the evening, some digestive enzymes may help?

​I really hope this all helps you. and good luck for new job, that would be enough to send my stomach into a flap!

• Posted

Will it help me sleep to, i take meds for depression and anxieties, blood pressure meds, and diabetes and thyroid medication and vitamins 

I need a goods night sleep and a way to lower my blood pressure and heart rate

• Posted

Hi, Lime flowers may be just the thing, if you look on line you will find reference to this herb be useful for heart palpitations etc, I think it maybe helpful for blood pressure, but worth doing some research. 

​Vitamins you may want to look at, because too much of the stuff can also lead to poor sleep.  However magnesium can be helpful, but caution required.  I do feel for you - thyroid, diabetes one seems to follow the other, always seems to be the case.  (for the little that I know!).

​Keep well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.