Anxiety still affecting me most at work

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'll try and keep this short.. I've had anxiety all of my life pretty much but only seeked medical help and was diagnosed around 4/5 months a go.

Work is what affects me the most, I absolutely dread going in, I feel sick in the mornings and have regular panic attacks when the anxiety gets real bad.

Anyway, 4/5 months a go I took about 3 months off work when my anxiety was at its worse, I didn't want to get up in the mornings, I didn't leave the house and I hardly showered, I'd pretty much lost all hope.

Miraculously I found it again and finally had the courage (with some help from the doctor) to go back to work and have a phased return. I was petrified but I did it, I started on early shifts and just doing a couple hours in the mornings.

I did this for about 5/6 weeks and then suddenly my work place have a total change of heart and after being completely understanding for so long tell me I need to do my rota'd hours and these are like 40 hour weeks doing ridiculous days in a row whereas I've only been doing early mornings for 4 hours a day 3/4 times a week.

I'm absolutely petrified and after working so hard at getting better I do not want to go back to square one. I don't know what to do because I know I cannot do what they are asking of me, I can't even do late shifts it literally sends shivers down my spine even thinking about it. I've already called in sick the past two days I'm so scared that I'll lose my job.

Can anybody give me any help or advice? Anybody been in this situation before? I feel at such a loose end. Anybody knows about my rights at work regarding mental health?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi lottie I haven't been to work since 29th July first two weeks were annual leave I then had a week off with a migraine I'm 45 and only ever had 2 days sick in my life.During my migraine my anxiety flared up which had been under control for a couple of years and I'm due back at work next Thursday but my boss says I can do one week at part time hours and then straight back to full time so if my doc says something diff next week I will leave and take him to a tribunal you want to ring acas and see where you stand that's what I did and I'm still really struggling with m anxiety especially in a morning and I'm dreading going back to working in a small workshop.
  • Posted

If you have a Drs note...they have to honor that Drs note.  If you are mentally disabled at this time (I don't know laws in the UK)...but google laws in the UK for "disability" employment laws.

In the US...they have to - if deemed disabled by any illness, make accomodations for you...like different hours than anyone else.

But, you have to get your Dr. to write down that you are currently disabled by a condition that affects your sleep and that it is not in your benefit to your health at this time to work the required shifts.  And to ask for "reasonable" accomodations.

in MY case...they could not find reasonable accomodations so the law here...was that they had to search for another position for me in the company...which I would have to interview for...but another position that would meet my disability limitations.

In your case...that would be another 1st shift job...working regular days and hours.  And once they meet that search..if nothing comes up....they would be able to severe you from the position.

However, in the US...while I was out of work....and they were searching for accomodation for me...I was paid by the government.

IF these are not possibilities for you...and you can not meet their expectations...they probably can severe you...look stuff on line about laws for disability in your area...and possibly get a consulation by a lawyer.

I ended up leaving my job.  If you are protected by laws for a disability....and are able to collect pay while they search for a reasonable accomodation for you...than you may look for another job while getting paid for being out on leave.

• Posted

If u are in the uk then citizens advice might be a place to start. Also look through ur contract and employees hand book to get some idea of what rights u have. Again a Dr's note goes along way with employment laws.

Yes anxiety kills u in more ways then one. But u can do it get some talk thearpy to talk about ur fears. Also maybe upping or changing ur medication

• Posted

Your gut feeling is screaming loud and clear. If a jib or a person stirs up such intense emotions you must rethink your life. Are there no other options for you. Is starting over so bad? Imagine if you did start over but found a job you enjoyed and loved. I think you need to rethink your options because clearly you are miserable and you do not have to be. Dont close off other options and be sure when you rethink this if what your telling yourself is really true. It can not be the only job available in the world or in your area.if it is maybe you can re locate you would never feel this way if you enjoyed your job. Make yourself options.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.