Anxiety still so high

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been on citalopram for just over 7 weeks now, 5 weeks on 20 and 2 weeks on 30. Mornings are terrible I wake with anxiety and then wretch. All I want to do is stay in bed. I have had some spells of feeling ok, but it doesn't last. Today I feel crippled with the anxiety and just don't know what to do with myself. I wish I could sleep till it's all gone away. Evenings are usually ok and I just don't understand how I can go from that to waking up feeling so terrible. I just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel

0 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have just read your message Iam the same I feel crappy in the mornings it seems to ease through the day but to 100%. I was put on 40mg about 8/9 weeks ago and after a few weeks started to feel abit better but know going down hill again . Doctor reduced to 30mg today I feel tired all the time
    • Posted

Why did Dr reduce it rather than give it a proper chance to work? Could it have just been a blip? Perhaps you've got a bit of withdrawl sneaking in. The true picture must get very muddled when moving up and down doses.

How are you now?

• Posted

Still feel crap in the mornings especially it really frustrating as when I first started on 40mg it did take a few weeks but at least I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and when I really started to feel better the releaf was fantastic . It's just in last couple of weeks felt it creaping back in so doctor thought that the 40 might have been to high to start on and so put it to 30mg .

• Posted

Hi Chris

Hope it eases soon for you. I started 3 wks on 10mg and now done 3 wks on 20mg. Like you , feel crap in a morning, not helped by the fact that I only get 3/4 hrs sleep and wake up loads. Just feel nauseous most of the time and everything drains me.

How do you feel - is it nausea or anxiety?

I just want everything to settle down and get back to work and have some normality back. I've told my gp I want to stay on 20 and hopefully i will settle on that. All this dose swapping plays havoc and I had such awful intense side effects for the first 2 weeks. The thoughts of going through that again - ugh !!

My gp said it can be 6-8 weeks to feel the benefit but I had hoped the side effects would have gone by now.

• Posted

Detail the physical symptoms you have Victoria. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi I wake with the anxiety feeling in my chest, it's like a fireball and then I start wretching. I just feel so nervous and shaky all the time. My tummy is really tense and can shake. I can't eat, I've survived on protein shakes for the last 7 weeks.

• Posted

Get to the doctor. Do CBT. Learn belly breaths ( Google it). Stop feeding the anxiety wtth worry but try and get some relief from the doctor to stop some symptoms. I take Propranalol for this, really calls you down and relaxes you. Make a start on getting better.
    • Posted

I have been on 40mg for 16 days. Have the worst anxiety since this increase...the others were not too bad. I agree with alex the meds won t do it all you have to work on how you handle the anxiety and not feed it. Easier said than done and those mornings can be terrible. I have an 8 month old son so have no choice but to keep going. Am really hoping with meds and therapy I will start to improve soon but for some these meds can take months to work.
    • Posted

I've started cbt, had to go private. I also take propranolol 3 x a day. Last few days have just been awful, I was seeing some improvement in the afternoons but not the last few days. I'm not sure if it's still side effects of the dose increase, but worried the citalopram isn't going to work

• Posted

Do you feel worse on 30mg ?

Did you see any improvement on 20mg ?

• Posted

Didn't really feel any improvement on the 20 had such bad side effects from just taking the med, then the side effects all came back again when I increased the dose

• Posted

Sometimes therapy can make you feel worse before yoy feel batter.....a bit like the meds.

This has been and is the fight of my life.

Please keep me informed of your progress as we seem to be in the same boat.

I think there is a good chance it is the dose increase and you will have to sit it out.. .me too x

• Posted

That's exactly how I feel that the tiredness and anxiety work hand in hand and it is by far the biggest fight of my life I keep telling myself that I havnt always felt like this so there is no reason why I can't get back to that good place again . Does anyone know why it's worse in the morning

• Posted

It's worse in the morning because after walking from a relaxed state you have become desensitised over night. As soon as you realise how you feel it often alters your mood and you become depressed. Thoughts, feelings and behaviour are all linked. This makes your anxiety worse until the day gets into full flow. You can break it by getting up regardless of how you feel and do something that you enjoy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.