Anxiety, this is all new to me!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

This is my first time reaching out on any forum about my anxiety so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice or relate to my current situation.

I've been experiencing anxiety and panic attacks for the last 3 weeks after a very stressful event. It's only been a short period of time but I'm struggling to cope on the inside and acting so normal on the outside! I think I'm going crazy and have the weirdest thoughts that never came into my head before this! Also I woke up last night at 3am shaking uncontrollably & haven't been asleep since.

This is affecting me so much I just wanna cry but can't even do that!

I have 4 children and although I'm making sure we get out every day, I still feel like I'm not doing good enough. Then I question do I love them, I know it's stupid, everything I do is for them of course I love them!

I'm constantly on my phone googling if anxiety causes u ______ (whatever symptom I'm feeling) because I want to be sure it's anxiety and not something more. I can't enjoy fb or instagram like I use to, I only go on it to stop researching anxiety.

I also get that worried flip in my stomach for no reason. I could be talking to someone and then my stomach does a flip, like I'm worried about something their saying when I'm not.

Bloody hell just writing it down makes me realise I'm going through a lot!

I've visited my GP and he offered me medication but I refused as I'd rather deal with it with some type of therapy.

Sorry this is so long, thank you if you read to the end!!

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also, does anyone feel like their always in their head thinking a lot and trying to act as normal as possible? I really hate feeling like this, just writing it puts my stomach in knots 😢😢😢
    • Posted

Yes. Ive had anxiety since i was a child. My first panic attack late 20s. Got through the panic attack stage,now im late 50s and starting to get them again as I now have an on going health issue to deal with. I went for years scared to take meds. Finally went on an anxiety pill in my early fifties after a tramatic health event. Helped me greatly back then. I still take the med,it does still help some but not like before as your body adapts to them. Your anxiety still might be helped by them though as everyones situation is different. Im sorry you are going through this,its so hard. I would reccomend telling family or at least a friend what you are going through. You need some support. I have no problem telling people I have anxiety.Xx
    • Posted

Wow I admire ur strength! It has only been 3 weeks and I feel like I'm struggling already and you've lived with anxiety all ur life! I have started to worry that if someone close to me gets ill I'll have panic attacks again but I refuse to dwell on it, it's the anxiety talking!

I worry that'll happen to me, if I take medication I'll get use to it and end up struggling again. For me personally I want to deal with it using therapy and I've been doing mindfulness it helps at times but of course not all the time. Saying that I'd never say never to the meds there might be a time when I feel like there's no way out but it's early days. I have told my family as they've been going through the same situation with me but quite selective about which friends to tell atm.

Thank you for replying and sharing ur story with me, it's a shame that anxiety can't be cured!

• Posted

Searching the Internet will only make things worse. For some reason, only the worst possible scenarios seem to pop up.

Yep, anxiety can cause you to be in your head a lot, and second guess absolutely everything, like if you love your children. You know you do, but anxiety wants you to doubt yourself.

Medication is helpful, even if used for a short while as you learn to control the anxiety. If you really don't want to try meds, perhaps therapy would be a good route for you to try. It takes a while to learn how to effectively disarm anxiety, and doing it without meds or therapy will make the journey harder, and longer on both you and the kids.

• Posted

Thank u so much for replying, u made me feel so much better!

I've decided to stay away from googling and instead rely on the comments & support of others going through the same thing.

I have an assessment on 1st August about how I'm feeling etc so they will recommend which type of therapy would be best then.

I definitely agree, it'll be a hard process if I did nothing but I'm looking for help and have so much support I just think I need a lot of reassurance.

Thank you for being so real!

May I ask if you suffer yourself?

• Posted

You're more than welcome. This forum is really great for reassurance, helping, venting, and many times laughing, which helps.

I've suffered from anxiety and depression for over 20 years, sometimes on medication, and sometimes not. Currently I use xanax for breakthrough anxiety or panic attacks. It's a downer that's a take as needed type of med. Even though I've had this for over 20 years, not every year, month or day was bad. It comes and goes as it likes. In the early stages it was nonstop, but I didn't know what it was until I remembered a family friend had the symptoms that I was having. That's when I decided to call a psychiatrist. Their first route is medication, and not knowing any better, I took it. Thankfully it helped a lot, and I was able to see a therapist without having a panic attack. The therapy didn't work so well, because the first two therapists I had were boring, and seemed to want to run the clock out by talking about things completely unrelated, or writing in their book. The third one I had was great, but she retired. Just keep in mind that you can change therapists if you feel like the one you get isn't helpful.

You'll get through this. smile

• Posted

I can tell, it's been day 1 and I feel so much better to be in contact with like minded people!

Wow what a whirlwind with all the psychiatrists! I will keep in mind that not everyone will be the right one for me of thank for the heads up!

I'm glad ur getting through it and managing life!

Thank you for ur supportive words and for sharing ur story.

Good luck with everything.

• Posted

You said that you are googling symptoms. What symptoms do you have if I may ask ?
    • Posted

Hi,

I have a lot of physical symptoms such as loss of appetite, constantly feeling shaky, poor concentration, bad memory, feeling like I'm living on my own head and not enjoying my life, constantly thinking negatively and worst case scenario, waking in the night.

It all started because my sister was sectioned and I watched her mental health go down hill and I had my first panic attack when she called me a crazy bxxxx. I had just finished 3 years of college and didn't get into uni which was also a stressful situation. I felt like I didn't know what to do with my life without uni and to better my life for my family. I'm just worrying about her alot because I feel like I've lost her and that hurts so much, we're only 11 months apart and she's my best friend but she's not the same anymore ????

• Posted

First off, try to focus on yourself. Do things you used to love doing before your anxiety started. Try meditation maybe or sports. Visit your friends and read some books about anxiety.

Im on the same train. Trust me your anxiety trying to play games with you.

For your sister, doctors will take care of her. You can't control everything in your life. All you can do is keep loving your sister. Im pretty sure that deep down in her mind she still loves you so dont worry. She is ill, but that doesnt mean it will stay like that forever.

One more thing. If your docs said you have anxiety then you have anxiety. Try to not look too much on google what it might be. If you are worried just ask your doctor. I know. I make same mistake all the time. I for example constatly want to see if I might have cancer or brain tumor. But of course if I seek for those symptoms I will also find them, but that doesnt mean I have brain tumor. Your mind is trying to scare you every single way it can. Im really really scared too. I probably sound tough but believe me im scared to death after all my symptoms I have.

For uni there is always time. Nothing is over yet. People can graduate a bit later then others but that doesnt mean they achieved less then others.

• Posted

Im struggling with anxiety,i dont question if i love my kids but i do day after day feel guilty thinking im not looking after my kids as i should,my 10 year old has seen far too much like when im having a major panic attack,my smaller kids have seen me have meltdowns at the docs and that makes me sad,i feel selfish cos some days i should be doing things for my kids but instead im wrapped up in my own health worries and symptoms x
    • Posted

I do the same thing. Only now im an empty nester,so alot of it falls on my husband to run errands etc when my anxiety is bad. Xx
    • Posted

I love your reply thank you!!

I want more than anything to be me again, a proper mum, student, happy, of course life wasn't perfect but I was very content and thankful for all I have!

I'm doing some exercise and gardening with the kids, although they won't consider it exercise because it's a game of 'it' lol.

Ur right she's in the best hands right now so I need to stop worrying, it's just she's abusive when she calls so I end up having a panic attack! I've decided to take a step back from talking to her as it only makes me feel worse. She says stuff about people abusing her and I wonder if it happened to me and crazy things like that. I know the anxiety is playing with my mind but I just can't take them thoughts!

Health anxiety sounds like a Bxxxx as well! It's scary when ur own mind plays tricks on you like this. You really do sound strong but I know we all have our moments & anxiety really is a curse!

Thank u for ur kind words I have so much time to go back to uni, I'm still young so it's still a possibility.

I hope ur journey with anxiety gets better!

• Posted

Something that sounds silly...that I heard on TV...that helps me when anxiety pops up....

STAY WHERE YOUR FEET ARE.

When your brain starts ruminating problems or thoughts that provoke anxiety...bring yourself back to your current place and time....where your feet are smile...and realize that....you are in THAT or THIS moment...and everything is OK right now.....

• Posted

Unless you are in a bad moment lol. I know what you mean though,i sometimes do that at night when i try to sleep,just be in that place. Xx
    • Posted

lol...yup...the BAD moments take over...

• Posted

💪👏 I love this statement I have been reading a lot on mindfulness and I can tell already I am starting to notice the moment and not think about the past or future.

I love ur positivity, thank you for sharing!!

• Posted

Mindfulness is really all we have that if we can practice IT....we can be calm, cool and collective (no kidding).

Its VERY hard when a bunch of sh*t is hitting the fan.....but it really is all that MATTERS and the only thing that works for peace and contentment.

• Posted

I agree I do find it difficult when my thoughts are taking over and I can't even get my brain to quite down but I will persevere!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.