Anxiety when riding as a passenger in a car

Posted , 4 users are following.

I used to be to ride as a passenger in a car. The past few months my anxiety and panic have increased. I am able to get through most of the anxiety and panic but the riding as a passenger still causes me anxiety which some times to into a panic attack. I haven't been in an accident and don't have much of an issue when driving (sometimes but as much as a passenger). I don't have an issue flying. It is just very frustrating of why my anxiety and panic is still around when riding in a car. Any advice would be appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What are you thinking about when your in the car?  I know when I had panic attacks that came on I need to exit where ever I was.  I didn't want anyone to see me panicking, etc.  Could this be what you are feeling thinking?  I watched a show on our local Public Broadcasting channel "On the couch with Dr. Amen"  He is a well known psychologist, and some other expertise.  He mentioned that if you have a panic attack somewhere, and you leave.  You will always relate that place, thing with your fear.  It seems you are feeling the fear and staying in the moment to not let the fear rule you?
    • Posted

michael, you are certainly on to something there.  I was walking on a certain street in my neighborhood with my girlfriend when out of the blue, I turned every shade of white and sat on the curb and thought I was dying.  I mean IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE....Since that day, I still don't want to walk or even drive on that street.  The memories come flooding back. Jay, you should try to remember is you had even a slight panic attack while riding in the car with someone else, or did you have a dream or watch a movie about a car wreck.  Your mind plays tricks on you, especially if you are prone to anxiety and panic...You have to face your fears eventually so that you can have closure on that event that made you miserable...I am now able to walk on that street, but I still grit my teeth....Hope this helps...
  • Posted

I do sympathise. I am now at the point where if anyone offers me a lift I say no even if it's pouring with rain etc. It's so embarrassing and shameful. If I'm with my partner it's a bit better (because he knows a little bit about it) but if we get stuck in traffic or in a queue on a motorway or on narrow roads or whatever I get rigid with anxiety and terror and being trapped – which is the clue: panic is what happens when you are afraid and your whole being is telling you to escape but you can't. Added to which I have to hide it from whoever I'm with. I don't drive myself but being a passenger makes me panic (oh and I don't mind flying either).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.