Anxiety with Omeperazole.. Help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello

I've been taking omeperazole, 40 mg twice a day, for about a month for LPR. During that month I was switched to ranitidine, 150mg twice a day, for a week because it was safer for my kidney function, my primary doctor said. I was on ranitidine for a week and I couldn't tolerate it. I began to get bad headaches and also strong anxiety and depression. I was put back on omeperazole. The headaches stopped, although I do occasionally feel a few throbs from time to time, but the anxiety, depression,  and overthinking is still there and driving me crazy. My doctor has yet to respond to my messages so I stopped the omeprazole on my own. I couldn't take the anxiety anymore. One minute I am happy, next minute im worried, and the next minite i'm worried i'll  be stuck with this feeling forever, and i'll never be happy again. My mind is constantly thinkng negative, unwanted, and occasional suicidal thoughts. I've never been like this before.  I've read many online complaints about these medications causing or adding to peoples anxieties.  My last dosage of omeperazole was yesterday morning. When will my mind stop racing with these thoughts?  I was completely happy and newly engaged before these meds, now i'm constantly on an emotional rollercoaster. Feels like im going insane. Will it ever go away?  Thanks for your help

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was feeling the same. The anxiety and suicidal stops after one week of stoping omeprazole. I took it for one month.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your input. Im glad I'm not alone. Looking forward to being myself again.
  • Posted

Honestly, I am not sure why you are having the anxiety.  I am currently trying to wean off if again, although I have been on 20mg once a day.  I have done one week with 1/4 less, now this week with 1/2 less in the capsule, and next week, will be down to 3/4 less.  So far I am doing fine.
  • Posted

Omeprazole is for gastric reflux and 20mgs a day is suggested dose. Any drug withdrawal can be awful but stopping suddenly is never a good idea. You haven't mentioned how the reflux actually is. Why not try gaviscon and see if that helps. Look at yr diet too. You will be fine. Over anxiety is awful but it will calm down if you allow it too but does need to be discussed with dr. Look into alternative therapies possibly like Bowen etc too. In my opinion 80mfs way too much, lazy gp! Good luck
  • Posted

Just to say I was on high dosage of 80mg per day Omeprozole for a year and I spoke to my doctor and said I was having symptoms of depression, over active mind, negative thoughts and vivid dreams. She consented to me cutting dosage firstly to 60mg, then 40mg and I feel much better. Best wishes. Lin
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel. Every day I feel constant dread, dizziness, blurry vision and anxiety like never before.

I was prescribed Omeprazole after getting pains I my chest and occasional heartburn.

I'm fed up with feeling this way it's really getting me down. I am seeing my doctor next week and I am going to tell him that I am no longer taking them because they make me feel terrible, all the time!

• Posted

There are so many posts on this forum alone suggesting that omeprazole and lansoprazole both cause or contribute to anxiety in many people, I wonder if it's because they are so cheap? I'll upload a pic to show the other PPI's available and their cost to the NHS. Are you going to ask him if they can be the direct cause of anxiety, I'd love to know what a GP thinks. Feel better Laura.

• Posted

Personally, I am back to taking less than half the 20 mgs capsule the last 3 days, just tired of having heartburn.  And honestly, I am sick of worrying so much.  I didn't see any difference in my anxiety not being on it, or any other thing.  Just tired of this being like some poisonous thing to fear.  If it helps, it helps.

• Posted

I feel so down all the time, I'm going to stop taking it and see if my health improves

• Posted

Welcome to the greatly unreported side effect of Omeprazole and Lansoprazole. These are the two cheapest PPI's, at 10% the cost of the rest. I do suffer from anxiety and I noticed a deffinate link between these two. For me it mimics the physical symptom of anxiety, which in turn give me anxiety. Came off it, got better, went back on it, got worse.

• Posted

I had ulcer and I was placed on Omeprazole 20mg twice a day. After some days, I started feeling symptoms of Anxiety, Depression and Overthinking. So I decided to stop using it and after two day, I was back to my normal self. So I went to my doctor to complain and I was placed another brand of Omeprazole 20mg but the dosage was reduced to once a day. After taking it for two days, I started feeling headache, fast heartbeat and couldn't sleep through out the night. It then got worse to the extent that I started feeling my body shake while walking or sitting. Omeprazole has side effects that are worse than ulcer itself. I consider it very scary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.