Anxious about my P.e any help or reassurance appreciated!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Long story short, I went for minor Day surgery 4 weeks ago, ended up back in hospital the next day where they missed vital signs that my bowel had ruptured till 3 days later where I had emergency life saving surgery! I am 21 year old girl, who has previously had health anxiety (thankfully completely got over it before all of this). Everything that went wrong in hospital seemed to, but I dealt with it well and was making a good recovery. Two weeks ago (my third week in hospital) I woke up slightly breathless with a tight chest, the doctor ordered me a CT scan, where they found 2 small clots in both lungs! I was devastated, and confused as I've been on clexine injections since my second surgery and I'd worn the stockings. A week before finding the clot I had slight calf pain followed by severe pain in my back when breathing in- the physio put it down to me lying in bed (I had a central line in so couldn't move much). I have been discharged from hospital for 5 days now and I've been fine they put up my dose of clexine to nearly double the dose i was on to try resolve the clot issue. I have felt a bit breathless while I was in hospital with a bit of chest pain which the doctors told me was normal, but this morning I started feeling more breathless than usual and I still feel like my chest is tight, I also had some chest pain for a while earlier but has since subsided. I don't know if I'm just being anxious, but I just want to know did anyone else get days where they felt more breathless than others after their p.e?? And is it likely for another clot to form when on a high dose of blood thinners? I'm seeing my surgeon again tomorrow for a check up & a doctor came to see me today and said my oxgyen levels were normal but if I was to get more chest pain or breathlessness to ring 999 straight away- which has just made me even more anxious!!! Any advice or previous experiences would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if you sought medical support by the time you read this? If not please seek a clinical examination right now. Although unlikely to be further clots, absolutely anything is possible. I was fobbed off and experienced further clots. Let me know how you get on. Best wishes, Boval. X

• Posted

Hi boval, thanks for your reply! A doctor came out to the house this morning and listened to my chest and took observations and said everything was normal, but because everything I've been through the last month he questioned weather to send me up to hospital again just to keep an eye on me, then he said there was no need and that if anything worsened to contact a doctor again. My breathlessness has decreased although I am still getting some chest/back pain- I am due back in hospital in the morning for an examination. I feel if I contact them now they will tell me to take some painkillers and get some rest? Is it normal to still feel some pains coming and going with your p.e? And were you on blood thinners when you had your further clots? Thanks x

• Posted

Hi, My lungs were extremely sore for a months. I also experienced breathing difficulties too and I know many that have had a similar experience to me. I was on Warfarin when I suffered the second episode of PE's but I had been prescribed a subtheraputic dose my mistake. Having said that, if you are concerned then trust your instinct and pop along to A&E/ER. Better safe than sorry! Good luck. X

• Posted

That's quite a rollercoaster you have been through.... 

Yes, I had many occasions of breathlessness after the PEs and all sorts of pains, so it can happen. I was also told by A&E to go in if I had any concerns. I don't think they are trying to scare you - more a case of taking no chances.

If you are at all concerned - go in (as they suggested). Better to be a bit embarrassed than have further problems. I did and was clear and they said better to be safe.

All the best

Peter

• Posted

Hi peter, thanks for your reply! Yes it's been a tough month but I'm glad to be out the other end! I went in this morning to see my surgeon and he didn't see any cause for concern- but of course warned me if symptoms worsen to make my way to a&e!

I only seem to get chest pain when I walk about, but he also said this is probably just from the clots trying to break down. Hoping this is the case & that there are no further complications!

Thanks again,

Hannah.

• Posted

I do not have the answers you are seeking but when you see your Dr I would like to know the answers you got because they are the same as mine. Is this normal. To have days like this??? Today has been one of those days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.