Any advice needed

Posted , 7 users are following.

My first post on here wink recently I began a new job which hasn't worked out, I've been having a terrible time and a few weeks ago visited my doctor who diagnosed me with moderate severe depression and prescribed me citolopram and some form of counselling. This was two weeks ago and as yet I've not taken the prescription in. I've decided I don't want to go down the road of anti depressent dad yet but the doctor is calling me back this week for a "follow up" what are the implication a that I've not decided to take the medication? I simply believe that if I look after myself and get through the next month or so, I'll be better than if I start to take the meds. It was a shock being diagnosed but in retrospect I don't feel taking meds is right for me. As soon as I sort out the negative factors in my life I'll be fine any advice regarding the doctors call back much appreciated as I simply want to tell him I don't the meds

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul

I have also just joined today. I was given antidepressents two years ago and adviced to go to therapy by my GP. I was like you. Didn't take them for ages. I found during this time thiugh that lots of people have taken them for help during difficult times in their lives. My doctor finally told me that she had taken them for a perild of time when she was younger. There are side effects to start with but it gets better. I started to be able to cope better and started to recognise myself again. If you choose not to look online and make sure you eat well and exercise etc to help feel better.

• Posted

I think you have to trust your own instinct and feelings. If you think you can do it alone then that's great and of course do try, make sure you eat well, fruit and veg,and fish and do lots of sports, jogging swimming ect. Some people get so bad all this doesn't work, and it can lead to so much despair and frustration, I never ever thought i would take a course of antidepressants, but I had to after a month of trying alone, but for me it was more anxiety and panick. I think you should just be honest with the Dr, and he will give you the beat advice as he has seen you.

Best of luck, let me know how it goes.

• Posted

Hi Paula..I have been on antidepressants for about 13 yrs....I have had them upped to the maximum.. but also a pain relief I take ( pregabalin ) helps for anxiety also ......

I honestly have never had a problem with those and my nine other medications....I can just stop them dead....with no ill effects... but Paula ....I must say that they literally saved my life.....I was at the point of doing something stupid......but within three weeks I began to pick up....life is not perfect.....I still have severe bouts of feeling down.....but they end quickly and are now quite rare.....if you just try a low dose you will soon, get used to it....I wish you luck, best wishes and to feel happier once more.....Big hugs...Dee xxx

• Posted

Hi Paul

sorry to hear about your problems at work. Is this likely to be resolved? I know first hand how hard and extremely stressful this can be. If you feel you can cope and work your way through your work issues without the antidepressants then just let your doctor know that you have decided to delay the medication with the hope of overcoming this situation naturally. You could perhaps mention that your not ruling out the antidepressants but want to try an unmediated approach first. How are you feeling in yourself now? I was scared of taking antidepressants first of all, but after a day staring at the wall unable to move..I knew I needed to take them! If you feel mentally strong enough and managing to cope with daily activities, I would say your gut instinct is correct.

wishing you well

We are here for you at anytime X

god bless

Lorrainexx

• Posted

Hi lorraine,

I feel more stressed that I went to the doctors to be honest, I'm dreading the call on Wednesday. I don't want to take the cit and I'm going to make a conscious effort to look after myself a bit more. They also referred me to counselling but I have enough people to tal to so don't want that either. Looking back, I wish I'd just told the doctor I was a little anxious and couldn't sleep properly as I don't want the meds. My main worry (I think I'm being paranoid) is that I et sectioned for refusing to take the drugs I imagine I'm overthinking that one a little aren't i?!

• Posted

Bless you Paul

yes you are over thinking your last paragraph lol. Paul perhaps just tell the gp what you told me. Honesty is the best policy especially when it relates to your health. If you are feeling more stressed perhaps you should cconsider all options and don't rule anything out. Is the situation at work resolvable?

Paul if you live with stress for too long you will become very unwell..so it needs to be nipped in the bud.

Please keep me updated x

• Posted

Thanks lorraine, no it isn't I had a great job and left it for this one which is terrible. I'm planning alternative options quite frantically but feel if I get out of this job, I'll be happier therefore don't want the meds. It's been 3 months of sheer torture everyday and it takes it's toll for sure plus I miss my old place horrifically. Made a mistake but I'll survive one way or another
    • Posted

Paul I feel you are going to do just fine. Keep your eyes open for new job opportunities. Whilst you have this job it is important you find a coping mechanism eg if it'sa certain person then think something really silly in your head whilst he/she is talking to you. Don't let anyone or anything wind you up. Your health is more important then these people. If it is the job in general. .keep telling yourself it's not for long. Either way please try not to dwell on it as that will cause you to become unwell.

wishing the very best for you Paul.

God bless x

• Posted

Had another bad day, it's 1am and can't sleep and only had one meal weights dropping off me. I think I need to develop an element of "pulling myself together" works still awful and I'm acting a bit irrationally calling people up asking for jobs, my old colleagues are all concerned and so are my friends and family. I still feel the same with the med refusal though, just want to sort the problems out instead and relieve the stress
  • Posted

I am not a doctor. But antidepressants help to stabilize the chemicals in your brain. You cannot just try to "feel better," ignore the depression and think the chemicals will balance themselves.

Express your concern about side effects with your physician. Also, the reason the doctor is following up, is because s/he wants to ascertain if that med is working or should a different one be tried.

Typically, the meds make your mood more even-keel. You still are happy and sad, but the sadness no longer feels overwhelming.

If you have been diagnosed with depression, why would you not want to try to be better? If someone has a broken arm, s/he wants it to heal. So should you.

Please consider following up with doctor, express concerns, obtain a better understanding of the med's purpose and possible side effects. Also ask what Plan B is should this med not work, and how will you know it is not working.

Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.