any advice please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

a few weeks ago I was desperate for my periods after zoladex and An operation to remove a fibroid via Hysteroscopic myomectomy.  My period started on the 1st feb and hasn't stopped! I was getting very lengthy heavy periods before the op and wa hpoing I;d have a normal period but it's been awful and I feel pretty washed out.  Has anyone experienced this? could it be just the aftermath of eveything? Just so depearte to resume tying to concieve but need to feel well first and currently feeling utterly hopeless sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

dear SJ,

I had a myomectomy in August, and my first periods were quite strong. I asked the doctor about it, and he said it is normal for the body to react to such a disturbance. That after 2-3 months I should expect it to get less and less - and this is how it happened. But still - now you've had your period for 13 days, so I would advice you to ask the doctor who did the operation, or another doctor specialized in this area.

I hope (and believe) you will really feel better after some months.

Anna

• Posted

Hi Anna,

Thank you - so glad to hear that things have improved for you. I'm hoping that it's just my body trying to settle after everything. My hormones are all over the place so I'm finding it all really difficult emotionally. I've left a message with the consultant earlier so waiting to hear back and hoping that he says it's nothing to worry about. I'll have hope that things will improve, I just need to stop stressing and overanalysing!

Take care,

Sarah x

• Posted

Hi SJ, Info says after embolisation it may take 3/4 cycles for the heavy bleeding to calm down. The disruption in the body, also with having no cycle for so long. Time for a visit to your GP now though as you may be aneamic, need iron or possibly an iron injection, or might be able to benefit from something like mefanamic acid to reduce blood flow in the short term, until things settle down. I know MA can be taken to reduce the blood flow in periods before surgery, but don't know about its use after a myomectomy, so check that with your gp, also ask for a blood count of your heamoglobin & ferritin levels to see if you need help improving these to help combat your fatigue.

Hope this helps. Appreciating what heavy loss of blood can make you feel like.

Which you will have experienced during surgery & now a heavy monthly cycle has come you will be feeling it all the more.

Best Wishes

Heather

• Posted

Hi Heather,

Thank you - I've made an appointment to check my iron levels, I was on iron supplements for a couple of months in the summer because I had become anemic but probably could do with another boost. Fortunately my periods have now stopped so like you say it's probably my body just settling down. I'm feeling much better emotionally now - I think my hormones have been on a massive rollercoaster! Hopefully they will me even more settled on my next cycle!

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.