Any ideas?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've been suffering with IBS since having my gall bladder out a few yrs ago and tried a few different medications and none have worked. I get frequent diarrhoea at least a few times a day if not more depending on what I've eaten. The triggers are chicken cheese white bread mince egg and some drinks like orange cordial and some alcohol spirits. The medication I have tried is buscopan dicocloverine spasmonal & phos. I have also been prescribed increased doses of each and nothing has worked. Co-codamol works as a short-term option but I don't want to nor do I use it daily. Any suggestions??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Buscopan works for me but there are other over the counter medications such as silicogel and peppermint capsules.  You could also go back to your doctor for a different anti spasmodic or ask about gut targeted hypnosis.
  • Posted

Hi cal14, similar symptoms too after gallbladder removal,  my worst trigger is lettuce!! Now piling weight on which isn't helping.. found this site so useful when I had it removed so came back for ideas for this,, I too have tried the drugs you have but no help.  Have stopped everything now as I'd rather not take them if I am going to have it anyway,,,  fingers crossed huh.? 

• Posted

Try colpermiln. You can buy them from a chemist. If they work you can get them on prescription.

Hope they work for you.

Sarah

• Posted

I, too think my ibs was triggered after I had my gallbladder removed.  I have tried the usual colpermin etc and found what helps me is taking probiotics.  It does not bother me so much except if I get anxious when travelling by public transport. I feel better if I go to the toilet before. I am not a classical IBS sufferer from D or C. but do get the occasional tummy upset no know food trigger.  Most days are normal. I had to see a consultant recently for a colonoscopy due to family history of bowel cancer.  I mentionned my IBS to him and he was not interested he said it affects people in different ways and if I get anxious when travelling to take a tranquilizer,not very helpful.  I do not know whether it is IBS I do suffer but I know there is something not quite right. You know the feeling if you have been to a foreign country and get upset tummy after eating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.