Any piece of advice for reducing stomach inflamation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

At the end of 2014 I had a bleeding ulcer (duodenal area). Went to the hospital and got it treated through endoscopy (by using a clip) and by using Nexium 40mg 2 times a day. However, my pyloric canal got slightly deformed ever since. The doctor told me that was a normal process and that the deformation shouldn't affect anything. Additionally, I also had HPylori, which I eradicated successfully in the following months.

After a couple of months of staying at the hospital I was completely fine, without any symptoms. On June I traveled to North Africa, and got sick from the stomach (after returning did one more endoscopy and edema was reported). After that I started taking omeprazol. The symptoms got better at the beginning but then got worse again. And I never stopped taking omeprazol until November, when my abdominal discomfort got aggravated (also feeling a lot of nausea and reflux). Went to the doctor to do one more endoscopy, more things were reported than the last time: -cardiac stomach slightly open -superficial gastropathy -duodendal bulb inflamated (bulbitis)

Further, the biopsy reported: -HPylori negative; -Chronic gastritis (non-atrophic); -Foveolar hyperplasia

Started taking 40mg pantoc (pantoprazol) daily and after 1 month got better (almost with no symptoms). Last December, changed from pantoc to its generic version and started reducing the dose. However, while I was still taking the 40mg of the generic, started feeling really bad for some days (all symptoms indicated that was something viral). Then I experimented to completely stop the medication, and felt significantly better (even with less reflux) - I am not sure if it was coincidence or not. In the following days, I reduced the dose to 20mg and felt much better than before (so I suspect I was with low stomach acid).

Lately, I have started experiencing more symptoms like abdominal discomfort (like inflammation, but hard to describe). Even when I sleep I cannot lay down to my right side. I tried to stop again pantoprazol, and felt a bit better for one day, but still felt some discomfort. Since I don't want to get an ulcer again, I've continued taking the pantoprazol 20mg daily.

I usually eat healthy and try to avoid food that may cause harm to my stomach. I also take some supplements, like mastic gum and broccolis based supplements, but they do not seem to be effective anymore.

I don't want to go to the doctor again, and do endoscopies every 2 months, because I know the result will be to get prescribed higher doses of PPI (which then will reduce the acid and cause more infections/inflammation, it's a big trade-off).

-What would you do if you were in my place?

-What supplements do you recommend me to take?

-Will I ever be able to stop taking PPIs?

-Can PPIs be addictive?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, a fellow patient called youngatheart on here has successfully got off ppi's by using a supplement instead called zinc carnosine. i only found out the name of this from her couple of days ago, so have not had chance to look it up yet myself ( i would like to come off ppi's after 3.5yrs if poss too).
  • Posted

My advice it to go see a Naturopath or a nutritionist. Keep s food diary and hopefully they can put you in the right path to inhibit the need for PPIs. I've been having stomach and heartburn problems for months and all the docs want to do is shove drugs down your throat. Like you I don't like the sound of PPIs as they can cause low stomach acid. See what else is out there.
  • Posted

lorraine48045 can you reply me in private? I don't understand why comments are being deleted. Especially when comments provide very important information for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.