Any post op hippies that are nurses??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if any hippies on here are nurses?

If so how have you coped with the pre and post op events and work??

I am a nurse mainly based on community clinics but have driving and office work too with apprx 70 pts seen daily.

My consultant says i would be looking at 6mths off sick.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well, I am not a Nurse but as a postie, I have been told 3 months off work and then many weeks of rehab. 
  • Posted

I am a community mental health social worker, so similar work pattern. I was told 6 to 12 weeks off. I am 5 weeks PO now, and I don't feel at all ready!
  • Posted

Hi Angela,

I'm a midwife working in a large busy hospital. I work long 12 1/2 HR shifts and am now 5 weeks post op. I struggled for a long time pre op, limping really badly and struggled to bend down etc.. Pain awful but never took a day off sick. I always managed to swap shifts for my appointments but had a CT scan appt due at the start of a night shift, at a different hospital, i attended and just started work a little later. I was originally told as I'm not too old and quite fit I would recover very quickly but it was a complicated op. I'm not weight bearing for 3 months so probably will be off for 5 months?? Occy health have been in touch and advised not to return to work until I'm fully recovered, but I won't anyway, when your back your back! Could go on and on but not on here.

Have you been referred to occupational health? They are really very supportive.

• Posted

Hi Vicky, i have not had any time off for over two years which is a miracle with the pain!

I have been lucky so far to get time owed to attend apts or half hour etc to go for xrays and was on leave when i had a recent injection in the hip.

I had fast physio at work for back pain (have bad disc trouble) but stopped this as made me worse lol.

Not yet had dealings with occupational health but did check leave entitlement if did end up off for full 6mths predicted by surgeon.

I suppose will know more in 3wks as thats my next apt with him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.