Any relief suggestions?

Posted , 6 users are following.

New to this forum but have had pf for twenty years.

Worst ever now and been laid up for eight days. Tried ball rolling, ice pack, paracetamol, ibuprofen, but little difference.

Any suggestions welcomed as really need to be up and about soon.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've found that some supportive insoles in some fairly supportive trainers have helped me keep moving even when my PF has gotten really bad.  Leaning more on the crutches I'm on anyway helps - if you've been laid up, you might be able to get some crutches to get you moving.
    • Posted

I got some insoles and heel supports that I will try.

May I ask if you're on crutches because of of pf, or is of just another burden?

Many thanks and best wishes.

• Posted

Sadly the latter, I've been on crutches for a year thanks to a screwed up knee, I suspect that PF is a result of the odd way I've been walking for all that time.
  • Posted

Have you tried your stretching exercises.  Pull your toes back and use a towel to help.  I find this ehlps me most.  I also use antihistamines to reduce any inflamation.  That helps a lot.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Many thanks for the suggestions and have tried them all - found looping the handles of a carrier bag round my toes good and easy.

I think problem resulted from a lot of walking in very uneven underground tunnels week before. Did four hours with two walking one day, then six hours with four hours walking two days later, all with no sitting. Usually wear good pair of Nike walking shoes with nice spongy insole and arch support, but changed to old pair of Merrels shoes and looking at them today, the insole was worn thin and as hard as a rock and arch support virtually non-existant - my own fault.

My last attack pinned me down for just two days, bad timing because I was on holiday in spain and the days were Xmas Day & Boxing Day 2014!!

Since then I have taken to wearing Reebok EasyTone shoes. These are a type of exercising shoe and have air pads in the sole and heel, and a well padded insole with good arch protection and no problems at all for six months. But too hot for July weather so went to sandals, deck shoes, Converse, etc, and this maybe started the problem especially as I walk a lot. Can't stop sometimes and have been known to walk 25 miles.

However recommend the Reebok EasyTone as they certainly kept me clear of pf while I wore them.

Moving around now but still not ventured outside - hopefully tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi David,  I wear berkinstock sandals in the summer.  I find them so comfortable.
  • Posted

Yes - I like Birks and often wear them in summer as they are supportive

Have stronger pain killer Naproxen and at last mobile!!

• Posted

Did you try the anti histamines? Were they any good>  I am curious if anyone else gets relief with these. 
    • Posted

Tried anti h but amongst ibuprofen, paracetamol, etc, don't know if it made any difference. Am now on Naproxen and ibuprofen gel on heel for essential mobility.

Also cylinder heel rolling but must try frozen bottle, many thanks for the tip.

• Posted

Hi david12541,

Not ball rolling but have you rolled your heel on a frozen bottle of water? Plastic? That totally took it out of my right heel but not my left heel. Still I'm thankful to have at least 1 good heel. Also..I find Crocs are best bc they cup your heel and you don't land flat on your heel when you walk. Makes a huge difference. Any shoe that will cup the heel is good and of course a very thick padding is helpful. More than just insoles. They don't make any thick enough...waste of money. I still battle with my left heel but I have circulation issues in that leg and swelling so it's been much harder to treat. But with the frozen water bottle...relief was immediate and never returned thank God. Please keep us posted.

Ladyjack51

• Posted

Have you tried Skechers Go Walk shoes? They have an extremely soft heel and sole area and my other half swears by them. They were even recommended by my local pharmacist when she saw me buying gel insoles. Best to find a shop selling them as the sizes do vary although they can be bought online.
    • Posted

Thanks Marina Dee

I have been seeing Skechers coming out with some thick soled but very flexible shoes lately and I have wondered about them but have not tried them. Thanks for your input about them. Ladyjack51

• Posted

I had a holiday booked for two weeks in Poland and so had to hobble around on mostly cobbled pavements. Have rested up a bit on return and heel is a lot better but still feels very 'tight' and doesn't really want to flex properly when I walk.

Any idea if massage, a particular form of exercise, ultrasound, etc, would be any good?

• Posted

Hi I find that pulling my toes up and stretching the heel seems to help me. I also roll a frozen golf ball under my foot to try to reduce the inflamation. I have even resorted to using ibruprofen gel on my heel. Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.