any shoes work better or worse for Gout??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been dealing with gout for years and I am wondering if maybe my footware is contributing to it. I have always worn cushion nice , supportive Nikes and I wonder now if this could be a culprit at all. Has anybody had any luck with certain shoes making things worse or better with gout? I get gout in my ankles and my kness primarily alot of the time and it's painful. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ann

Gout is primarily caused by too high and changing levels of urate in the blood.

If this underlying malady is being treated, you should be more or less symptom free.

What treatment are you taking treatment for the gout?

• Posted

Ann, shoes are a contributing factor when it comes to gout in women. At least in my experience. I cannot wear tennis shoes for long, no more than an hour or 2 after working out. I actually have to wear shoes that have sturdy support. Leather shoes seem to work best. However, along with the shoes you also need to find a way to control the uric acid in your body be it drinking cherry juice, or taking medicine.
  • Posted

All I can tell you is that I now have to buy wide fitting shoes. I have also found that after wearing certain shoes my foot hurts more than others.
  • Posted

I found that good walking boots so my foot didn't flex with plenty of room for the toes, was the only way I could walk before I got treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.