Any time? 2 MD 2 different DX

Posted , 5 users are following.

In 2009 I began seeing a neurologist for what I was describing as right leg pain. I also had urinary issues, shocking pain that started in my right big toe, migraines, and numbness. I can't remember the exact sequence of events but I was told

I probably had MS. I had several MRIs and spinal tabI stopped seeing the neurologist because every time I went back

For an appointment he didn't have my test results or hadn't looked at them.

Fast forward to September 2016. The burning in my feet started effecting my sleep which

Lead me to see my primary care MD. I was prescribed Gabapentin for my feet.

3 days later I ended up in the hospital because I couldn't move. The gabapention had caused an UNKNOWN neurlogical reaction. While in the hospital CT SCAN and MRI of head neck and spine.

Neurologist at hospital said it's neuropathy not MS. To me he was only focusing

On the burning in my feet and not taking into account everything else.

2 weeks later my primary care MD said it's MS you need to see a neurologist.

Blood work and MRI showed nothing. No vitamin deficiencies.

Here are my symptoms

Muscle tightness in both legs. Mostly right

Burning in feet

Urinary retension

Occasionally blurred vision

Vaginally dryness

Various sensationsizes all over.

Cognitive issues. Forgetting words, long pauses in conversations

Fatigue.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mindy. Sorry to hear about your symptoms, and your difficulties with doctors. Sadly, it's not uncommon sad

Given the limited info that can be given in a box of text online, it's going to be hard to get to the bottom of it here, but hopefully you can get some info at least.

A good neurologist sounds like a plan. Those are neurological symptoms. Clear MRI and spinal tap, that's a good sign, but sometimes people with MS get those results.

It also sounds like peripheral neuropathy. You've probably been tested for diabetes, but what about pre-diabetes? It can cause those symptoms too, even if you're not diagnosable as diabetic with current blood sugar and cholesterol numbers.

Some of those symptoms sound like thyroid problems (brain fog, fatigue, dryness, burning in feet, cramps, blurred vision).

Do you have any depression or anxiety? How is your sleep? Do you take any vitamins, meds, or supplements?

• Posted

I have no family Hx of diabetes and my cholesterol and A1-C were good. Thyroid numbers were fine, too.

My legs aren't cramping more like a constant feeling of tightness. My legs feel tired.

My problem with a neuropathy DX is the cognitive issues. And when I was in the hospital I was given Xanax so I can

Relax for the MRI and that's the first time in a long time my legs felt relaxed.

I take wellbutrin for depression. My primary care MD took me off Wellbutrin for 2 weeks to rule out it causing the

Symptoms. The symptoms didn't go away.

• Posted

Okay, well I'm sure you know that diabetes is more to do with you than your family members. But it's good your A1C is good (under 6.0).

Fibromyalgia would explain the brain fog, forgetting words, fatigue, dryness, burning in feet, strange sensations all over, leg tightness, blurred vision. About 50% of people with FM also have peripheral neuropathy. It goes along with depression in many sufferers. You said you felt better on an anti-anxiety medication... most people with Fibro have some anxiety or stress issues. Bladder issues are not uncommon.

I don't know why the Gabapentin would cause such a reaction, sounds like it's not the one for you.

• Posted

It certainly seems like MS but its a difficult thing to dx, I had 14 MRI and 5 spinal taps before (after 5 years) I was dx. It can be very frustrating trying to get a dx of any neurological disease as many have similar symptoms. If Gabapentin affected you so badly there are many others such as Pregabalin in addition Duloxitin can help with pain as well as depression. Try running the blunt end of a pen or pencil up the sole of the foot, normally the reaction is the toes curl but in MS they do the opposite.

You need to get a definitive dx before you start treatment because there are loads of very good medications for RRMS but virtually nothing for PPMS (which I have) All I get is pain meds most of which barely knock of the edge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.