Any tried cognitive behavioral therapy??

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi, has anyone tried this. I am going to ask the doctor if i can start it. I would like to hear some peoples experiences about the therapy and what you had to do and how it helped or didn't help you. Thanks smile

5 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been told I need try but am nervous about it. Curious to see what the results are.
    • Posted

Yeh im really nervous too, think i am going to try it though.
    • Posted

After reading some online, it seems to have good results but I dont wanna go through the attack of waiting for the appointment. On a another post, a person recommended me to try it home. apparently their are some books you can read about it. 
    • Posted

There's absolutely nothing to be nervous about. Xx
    • Posted

There are a lot of self help books which are good.you have to be willing to give it your all though. I waited 6 years for cbt x
    • Posted

See, Im not nervous about about the psychiatrist, im nervous about the pain and anxiety the week of and day of the appointment. Im also nervous about the being in the waiting room cause thats when the attacks happen the worst. 
    • Posted

Make sure you have a therapist you click with.  I wouldnt know how to answer mine which made her feel i wasnt responding to the treatment how i should have been. You need to be totally 100% committed and engage in all the homework set. CBt DOES work though and it is the most effective treatment for anxiety and changing the way you think. That along with medication is the best combination. CBT worked for me, but like i say I still struggle which i think is due to not getting the most from my sessions because of the therapist. I went every week for 9 weeks. The usual amount of sessions is between 8 and 12 depending on how well its working for the individual. Good luck, and once youve all been once, youll know there isnt anything to worry about. in the waiting room just imagibe your sat at home on your sofa. before you know it your therapist will have called you in. Or even leave it till the last minute before going in and you will hopefully not have to wait long  [smile]  

xxx

• Posted

I have my first appointment in 5 week ye a long time but by time it comes ill be a little bit better I feel fine but 1ns panic comes on ill be back to square 1 hope some 1 who has been on it says if it works or not 
  • Posted

I had 9 sessions of high intensity cbt. It's good. It trains you to think differently. The only thing I would say is make sure your emotionally ready for it. What I mean is, be able enough to engage in the challenges your therapist sets you. Many people have some medication prescribed before hand so they are slightly more stable. Cbt tends to be somethingbyou need a hell of a lot of willpower for. Well worth it tho. Good luck. Xx
    • Posted

Im 20 I can handle any thing lol well I hope so i use to be able to any way I hope it works for me its taking quit a but of time to get a appointment 
    • Posted

Well that not that encouraging haha. I may try it at home. 
  • Posted

That's the only problem, the waiting lists. Worth thereat tho. Privatecould be an option but it's about 40£an hour if not more xxx
  • Posted

Worth the wait **. I have a self help guide. I will send u a link tomorrow. It's the one myntherapist gave me. Xx
  • Posted

Worth the wait **. I have a self help guide. I will send u a link tomorrow. It's the one myntherapist gave me. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Niccik

Would you be able to send me the link as well? Been looking at alot of options recently and probably need to actually do something aswell as some point. 

• Posted

Hi Liam. I am just at work but i can get the books out of the car at lunch and send you the links smile ... Remind me lol..xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.