Anybody out there day 4.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Last night I decided not to take tramidol or oxycontin due to feeling sick all day despite anti sickness meds. Well I am suffering for it this morning. Got 2 paracetamol at 6 and have to wait till 8 for stronger ones. The only thing is that it's usually after 9 before meds are out.. On the plus side I took three short walks yesterday and had 4 good hours sleep before I needed toilet. Of course I had one of those visitors yesterday who tried to tell me it wasn't that bad. Telling me this man had it done and was walking without crutches after 2 weeks and driving. He was only 40so maybe that was true but luckily consultant came. In while she was there and said we did cut through your muscles so it is only natural that you are sore. I'm tetchy this morning.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning. I'm tetchy to, but that's due to lack of sleep. Way too hot and so painful getting up for loo. Only had my op Monday evening so only really 2 1/2 days on but have to keep asking for something stronger than paracetamol. They've promised me tramadol before physio later as struggled yesterday walking as in pain. I'm only 44 and I'm sure age will help with recovery but I'm sure at this stage we're all the same. Had same op, same muscles cut etc so hard for all of us. Hoping to get on crutches later so can leave hospital today. Just want to get home now and see more of my little ones, 7 and 10 yrs old.

Hope you have a better day today!

• Posted

I had the op 2pm Monday. Problem with strong pain meds is nausea. It won't be easy for you having too little ones and they'll be off school soon. I hope you have plenty help at home
    • Posted

Yeh, my husbands running the show at the moment. God help us all lol. Have lots of friends who've offered help, I don't live near my family but think we'll struggle though. Got a camping holiday planned for end of August so something to aim for.
    • Posted

An let the husband getvon with it. I hope this surgery gives you a new lease of life and enjoy your camping. Just take it easy.xxx
  • Posted

Good morning -- well, not such a good morning - I am so sorry to hear of you nausea when taking pain meds .... don't they have a patch or can't they give you a shot or something - anything that doesn't effect your stomach ? 

good for you, taking the little walks etc ... that is why it is so important that pain is not keeping you from doing ...

oh those visitors --- that is one of the main reasons we are here on this forum ... thinking that there is something so wrong with us because we cannot do all those things other apparently can do .... 

well, get used to it and don't let it bother you - I think that that is their way of encouraging you ( well, it is NOT)- this forum is soooooooooooooooo great ... I don't have to explain anything -  

I hope that you will get some pain relief soon - ask for it, okay ... 

how are you coping witt the heat?   

keep cool and be gentle with your self ... 

renee

• Posted

Thank Renee. Nurses brought me a fan so that is keeping me cool.!strangely I am getting lots of bursts of sleep between toile stops so that at least is good. I listen to healing meditation talesp on YouTube and nevedr hearvthe full thing.
  • Posted

Hi Attracttac I hate those clever dicks with a black cat, it is what it is..as soon as you are home you will feel better, keep on top of the painkillers, just remember Tramadol do stop you goint to the loo and quite quickly too, so I always take them later in the morning, as I do use them for sleeping, I try to turn in at 3am most times, well it works for me...cool
    • Posted

Hoping things will be better when i get home. How long before you were able to get in out out of bed unaided.

• Posted

That is so great !! I am a certified clinical therapist and practiced in Los Angeles for years (not sure why I stopped ...) --- relaxing your body and mind is so healing - 

thanks for reminding me !!!! 

you are really doing good, you know --- 4 days Post-op !!! 

• Posted

Hi, When I was on day 2.5 I had a horrid day feeling sorry for myself.  The previous day I was told I was a star and doing much better than others so when pain and discomfort kicked in next day I was really down.  Hospital said its a bit like the baby blues.  A few days after the op many people have a normal down day but it was only a day.  My next down day came at two weeks when I unexpectedly had my first day where I felt I was going backwards.  I mow know that everyday is different and bad days are followed by more good days.  Getting pain meds to make you comfortable is imperative. I'm not a medic but I would say Paracetomol is not enough and there are many things there besides tramadol. 
    • Posted

Aye i am usually a very positive person and was surprized to be so down. My daughters said where is that positive mental attitude that you have been preaching for years. An well hope its back soon. Think they are going to try cocodamol now. I know it constipates but I will be eating !lots of prunes etc at home as soon as I get the bowels . can't shower for 10 days but will be happy to get hair washed over basin.
  • Posted

me again ... I live alone and no one staying with (not as sad as it sounds) so I had to put my self in and out of bed first night at home - have the nurses or physical therapist show you .. there are ways to do it ...lots of trips to the toilet during the nights and UTI ... not easy but doable if you have no one to help you - 
    • Posted

Physio was in showing me today. Suggested slippy sheets. Don't even know if satin sheets available. I'll have someone thankfully for a week and although she is not strong she shoulk be able to put dressing gown cord round my foot. Now if the pooo medicen would work I would stop complaining!!!
  • Posted

Who are these magical people who are walking and driving at 2 weeks lol, I mean really has anyone here been able to do that. I used a walker for 2 weeks then transitioned over to a cane at 3 weeks, and only walked unaided around 5 weeks. I think people are trying to mean well but they have no idea what their talking about. 
    • Posted

Different people have had different procedures and go into this with different histories. I did get in the car and drive at 2.5 weeks but Boy did I get told off!!  I felt fine, drove fine etc but I still shouldn't have done it.  I was in a temper, had been cooped up too long and decided to show my husband that I could do it.  I have learned that I don't cope well with extended periods on my own but this group is helping to keep me sane! 
    • Posted

Aye agree with you there. Nothing I read or saw in others prepared me for this. I worked with older people for years and they seemed to manage well with hip ops. Of couse I was only there on a weekly basis. Good soldiers all of them.
    • Posted

I'll not be allowed to break any rules. Daughters would let me drive for last 10 weeks when bone on bone. I decided to try a wee drive round one day when at work but was spied by neighbour. I managed with lifts for that period so will stick to the rules.
    • Posted

One of my physios told me that older people seem to recover quicker.  She had two aunties with THR within a week of each other.  One was 81 and the other 62.  The 81 year old recovered more quickly, much to the annoyance of the younger woman. The PTs theory is that their muscles aren't as tight and resistant as a younger persons.  Could be total nonsense but it helped to reassure me a) that I am still young in hip terms (63) and b) that I was responding normally for my age.  
    • Posted

I'm 69 so maybe falling in to older bracket but was doing a lot of walking aqua fit and dancing up until 10 weeks ago. You would think having good muscles would help.
    • Posted

I wonder when you will be able to get back to the Aqua fit ?
    • Posted

Think I'll try just fiddling about in the pool when I get the all clear in 6 weeks. Pool has a lift so would be able to get in and out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.