anybody taking risperidone?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been taking it for 7 days....getting some side effects and not feeling any better. I feel a bit strange actually! Not with it! Is there anybody that can reassure me that this is all normal and it takes a while to feel better?

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Alison, I hope that you are feeling ok... I have THREE sons who have been on risperidone, for many years... they also take other medications also (antidepressants, different antipsychotics and other medications also ) two of them are on high doses of risperidone and they have luckily never ever had any side effects... you should find that as your body gets accustomed to the drugs you should have few problems.... of course if you have any worries about your medication in any way, then see your GP as soon as possible.... my two sons were really quite poorly... but it has certainly turned their lives around for the better, now you would never know that they had any problems whatsoever... try to stick with your treatment, in time it can make such an improvement to your every day life... I truly wish you well, kind regards, Deirdre xxx
    • Posted

Aww thankyou for such a lovely reply Deirdre.....I most certainly will continue with them and hope this is the med that will also turn my life around as it has for your sons.

Its really uplifting to read a positive reply so big thankyou

Alison x

• Posted

Hi Alison.  I've been on risperidone for bipolar for more years than I can remember and its been a wonder drug for me.  I had a few unpleasant side effects in the first few weeks, but these wore off and now I feel really content and safe.  I'm also on citalopram and diazepam, I used to be on eppillim but they took me off that when I was stabilised.  I was diagnosed with bipolar in 1998 and it took them a while to find the right med combination for me, but when they did it all felt aok.  Hope that helps

Emma

• Posted

Thanks for replying Lizzie.

Really pleased it has helped you. I tried citalopram on its own and I just felt so strange I was almost delusional! Infact ive tried every antidepressant and they all seem to make me feel the same. Is the risperidone something that takes weeks to work like an antidepressant?

And how much risperidone do you take?

Alison.

• Posted

Hi Alison

It took a few weeks for the risperidone to settle down in my system and for a while I felt all wooly brained.  I now take it at night so that if there are any adverse effects I don't notice them, but to be honest, I can't fault it.  It stopped the hypomania in its tracks and helps to keep me calm, though there is a degree of emotional flattening with it, which, depending on your personailty may be good or bad.  For me its a good thing and when coupled with the citalopram, which also took a while to settle down in my system, keeps me stable.  I wouldn't go back to the days when my bipolar was at its worst for anything even if it means I'm less emotional than I was.  I'd say stick with it for a few weeks and if it still doesn't work, see your gp.  Before I was on Risperidone and Citalopram, I was on Chlorproamazine, to which I had bad side effects, and Prozac, which didn't help me at all.  I'm supposed to take the Diazepam when I get anxiety but I find if I take one 5mg tab in the afternoon it helps.

All the Best 

Emma (aka Lizzie)

• Posted

Forgot to say, I take 3mg Riperidone at night and 40mg citalopram in the morning.  

Emma

• Posted

Thanks Emma :-) Maybe im not on enough then. Im only on 1 mg or is that how its done start low and increase?

Alison

• Posted

Yes Alison, I started low then built up to 3mg, which I've now been on for years. I was lucky in that I had a good psychiatrist at the time who monitored me closely, although with the inevitable cut backs I was discharged from the psychiatric services and am just under my gp.  I was actually hospitalised for 5 weeks at my worst back in 1999, but that was before they put me on the risperidone.

Do you mind if I ask you, what are your symptoms and diagnosis?

Hope you are feeling well tonight

Emma x

• Posted

Risperidone was the best antipsychotic I was on, athough weirdly I find the generic form works better for me. I also want to say that I think it is always best to try and stick to lower doses. I found 2mg was fine but my psyciatrist was trying to get me to take 8mg. Thankfully I never took that amount. I did get some side effects that were unpleasant and I had a particularly horrible occulogyric crisis in the car, but that was on 4mg. I took it with Venlafaxine and Lithium. (Hated the lithium but I reckon a low dose risperidone/antidepressant combination is about as good as it gets if you're going down the medication route). 
    • Posted

The other side effect I got was blurry vision. 
  • Posted

Hi

I am bi polar and am on litium, vanlofaxine and risperidone. I find risperidone makes me emotionally flat and dizzy in the morning. I tapered down from 4mg to 2mg of risperdone, but still feel flat. Risperidone has stopped the voices which is good. Feel the risperidone is like a mental strait jacket. Does it get easier?

• Posted

I started taking risperidone for 4 days now just for anxiety and startle reflex I have been in alot of antidepressants medication but not really helped indeed it increase my anxiety level. hope this time i wont suffer from daily life anxiety and be more open for new better social life and rich all my opportunities work l,family and self happiness.
  • Posted

It's normal... I felt weird at first but things got better a couple months later when I got used to it. I have been taking it for 9 years now.

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I was on risperdone, but changed to aripiprazole as it has less side effects for me. It takes time to get used to, but is better than being ill. Hang in there, things get better. I have been back at work for over a year now and have no voices or hallucinations😀. I have sczioaffective disorder, used to have bi polar but they upgraded me. All the best.

Lou x

• Posted

Hi, anyone out there been put on low dose risperidone for depression and anxiety?  I need some feedback.  I am not bipolar but dr has said try it.  I am one week in and feel emotionally dumbed down, tired, shaky and generally having strange thoughts ie why am i taking this when i feel worse?  Any comments please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.