Anyone else developed PID from BV?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I've got to admit it has scared me a little reading everyones experiences of BV so I thought I would share mine too. A few of weeks back I went to the doctor for some swabs because I wanted a coil fitting. It came back I had BV. I'd had no symptoms of BV whatsoever. I was precribed a course of metronidazole which I completed. I then started having pain in my lower stomach when I went to the loo, I went back to the doctors who said it was unrelated and was given another different antibiotic to treat a water infection (which I didn't have). About 3 days later I developed constant stomach pain, I was back and forth to the doctor for days until finally they sent me to the hospital. I have now been diagnosed with Pelvic Inflammitory Disease. I spent two nights as an inpatient because I was in so much pain. They don't know if I definately developed PID from having BV but I had been tested for STI's not long before so it definately wasn't sexually transmitted. I just wondered if there was anyone who has a similar experience??

:oops:

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My partner had a case of BV early in 2008, and was treated with metronadizole for 5 days. It reoccurred in December and she was going to see her GP after her period had finished. She never got that far. |She went into A&E the Saturday before Christmas because the pain was so bad - she put it down to period pain - and spent the next 10 days there. Diagnosed with acute on chronic PID, the hospital performed surgery with a view to a full hysterectomy, but didn't remove anything; Apart from the IUD that had been in place since 2006.

Did the BV climb the IUD tail ?

• Posted

[i:c29b51034c]Reading the post about maybe being able to get PID from BV. I have had a similar experience. Basically around a year ago i went for my normal check up at the clinic, upon examination for swabs being taken i was in a lot of pain. They did tests and it turned out i had PID i was treated for this. They checked to make sure it wasn't STI related and it came back that I had none. They were a little puzzled as to how i had managed to get PID without this. If PID can be contracted because of BV then maybe it may be time to visit my gyn again, as the last time i had PID i had similar pains in my lower stomach, i never really thought it was a problem as I have been tested for STIs recently so I didn't think it could be that, but maybe it's worth a pop down!![/i:c29b51034c]
  • Posted

I know this is quite an old post but there doesn't seem to be much information out there in relation to PID caused by BV so I will add my story in the hopes that it will help other women. I had a copper IUD inserted in June 2010 after the birth of my son. 6-8 months later I started to get dull pain in my right ovary / groin area. My My IUD also felt "uncomfortable" so the doctor checked the IUD was in the correct place and took swabs to make sure there was no infection. Everything seemed fine and the swabs came back clear. Over the next year my health deteriorated and I just couldn't get over the various infections that I came down with - I even had a chest infection that turned in to pnemonia! I also developed joint paint in my knees.The pain continued in to the next year and I had pelvic and abdominal scans to make sure there was nothing untoward going on. Again, everything seemed fine. 18 months later I started with nausea and the IUD still felt wrong inside me. I started to make connections between my health and the IUD so I had it removed in November 2012. Unfortunately, the pain has continued and I often feel run down with a fever, back pain, an unusual discharge that is watery (I thought this was slight incontinence because it smells like urine!), unusual periods that smells fishy and again are watery. I have been back to the doctor and they are now investigating PID that may be due to BV. I feel stupid as I have let myself be fobbed off by doctors but I now realise that this has been on going since the IUD was fitted 2 and a half years ago! I have no idea what damage has been done and it is proving difficult to convince the doctors.
    • Posted

I know you wrote this a year ago but I am going through almost the same situation but not due to an IUD.  I am just wondering what outcome you had from this issue?
  • Posted

I had the same experience. I was diagnosed with BV at a quick care and they gave me medicine. I never even knew i had it or what it was, but they proscribed me medicine and took it for 7 days, 2weeks later i woke up with lower pains so bad I couldnt walk and wanted to throw up so i had to go to the hospital and after 7 hours they diagnosed me with a PID, and this happened last year.

I still dont understand how i could have gotten it because ive done my research and a women can get it from being sexual ONLY with another female who had it, douching, having too many sex partners or getting a new sex partner. But ive never been with another women, never douched, and at the time i got it had only been with 1 person.

If anyone reads my comment do you think you could answer my question as well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.