Anyone else had insomnia on Citalopram???

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi everyone

Just need some advice or similar stories here.  I've been on Citalopram for almost 4 weeks now.  The starting side effects have mainly worn off and I'm starting to notice the benefit of being on them.  However I have been suffering with insomnia since I started taking them, falling asleep quickly but waking up 3 or 4 hours later at best and not getting anymore sleep.  On a bad day no sleep at all, so I've been feeling like a walking zombie 3-4 days a week.  Went to my GP today and she wasn't happy with this side effect and said that sometimes it's not one that goes.  She has given me another month but after that if I still am having issues she wants to swap me to something else.

So my question is has anyone else experienced this and it has settled down after a bit or am I on a loser here?

Thanks

Louise xx

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Louise,

Stick with it - that also happened to me, I suffered really bad insomnia and eventually after like 6 weeks, it vanished! I now have a normal sleeping pattern again.

I hope this helps. smile 

Max x

• Posted

Thank you!!!!  So glad to hear that cos I REALLY do not want to be messing about swapping medication after all the hassle at the start, I've just finally got over the side effects.  Finger crossed!!!
    • Posted

You're welcome, I'm sure it will all work out.

Good luck! x

• Posted

That's absolute horse crap. I have been taking thiso for 6 years and I have had insomnia since day one. I have never been able to fall asleep on my own since I started this drug. Gave me new drugs to sleep. And they don't work anymore either. I absolutly hate Celexa. The first week I took it. I was awake for 76 hours strait before passing out in school. I'm now a college student and it still causes extreme insomnia problems and I'm completely fed up. Don't trust it. Get off of it ASAP. doctors told me the same thing " stick it out." " well switch you to another drug." Firefox years and nothing has changed
  • Posted

Perfect timing of this as I write back to you going on NO sleep at all last night. I am a walking zombie. Yes, I either fall asleep right away but it doesn't last or no sleep at all. I am on day 26 of the CIT. I take them about 6pm in the evening. The first few weeks were horrible, but this past weekend I was great! Very few side effects. I feel yesterday and today was a step backwards. When I am falling alseep (if I can) I notice I get "shakes" - like my legs or whole body will "jump" out of nowhere. Then I am up most of the night. Horribly nauseaus in the morning and no motivation to get out of bed - very weepy. Although I know somewhere in the back of my mind, "all is well and this is just a side effect" I can't get my body to connect...I lay in bed. I am PHENOMENAL once evening hits. It's like a roller coaster. Like I said, over the past weekend, I was great, morning noon and night - with the exception of some nauseau in the morning where I couldn't eat and too tired to get out of bed - but NOTHING like the weekdays. I even said that to my boyfriend, "why can't I wake up like this during the week?" I think it helped being with him and doing nice "weekend" activities, plus the weather was beautiful, but still - not perfect, but much better. This week - back to not so well. And I NEED sleep. Like I said, this is day 26. I started on June 1st, with 20MG, so it is easy to keep track. I am hoping by July I am better. I am moving from more good days then bad, thank God....but I want them ALL good. I know life isn't perfect, and I'm going to have a bad day, regardless of whether I am on meds or not...but like so many others on this site - I just want to be out of this "cloud" and back to NORMAL....whatever that it! Hang in there - and sweet dreams for ALL of us!

-JRo

• Posted

Oh my god that is so weird, I have EXACTLY the same problems.  I don't have nausea or the shakes, I'm quite calm in bed actually but I just "ping" awake after a few hours or no sleep at all.  Yep yesterday and today I have felt sick from being so tired.  I have had a fabulous weekend also but come Monday (work days) I am anxious to start with abeit less so than before and phenomenal in the evenings too!  I also think it's something about being with my husband during weekends, it just feels safer (daft I know).  But yeah sleep is much needed, that is not going to help anything at all.  I'm definitely moving towards more good days so it's doing something.  I'll know I'm defo getting there when I bounce out of bed after a full nights sleep and no anxiety!
    • Posted

Hi JRo

Sleeping any better? Im now on day 34 and still really struggling with insomnia. I slept roughly 2 hours every night this week. I am a weepy zombie. No doubt the meds are helping my anxiety but jesus I need sleep!! 

Louise xx

• Posted

Hi Louise,

Insomnia is a common side effect, I suffered from it from weeks 4-7. I tried all sorts of things as I was desparate for sleep. What it came down to in the end was 12 mls of Piriton, (I think its the Anithistamine that helps?) the drowsy stuff and I slept like a baby or the other stuff I have used is Sleep eaze or Nytol from your local boots if you are in the UK. 50mg or 2 x 25mg. They also worked a treat. Like you I was only getting 2-3 hours a night or nothing at all. Theses thing may not work for you, but there is no harm in trying.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Regards

Marcelsmile

• Posted

Hi Marcel

I do live in the UK. My GP told me not to take anything as they don't mix well with AD's. I know, I know, I'm a wimp as plenty of folk take them. Did the insomnia fade for you eventuallly?

• Posted

Hi Louise,

That sounds interesting. My GP perscibed me with Zopiclone and Diazepam and neither worked and can be very addictive so she recommended Piriton or Sleepeaze.

Please dont say youre a wimp, I dont think that at all about you smile

I think it takes a lot of courage and confidence to ask for help or seek advice, so well done you.

Yes my Insomnia did eventually fade. I still have the odd occasion where I cant sleep but its no way near as bad as what it was. I slowly reduced what I was taking over a week and I came right.

I hope things get better for you, hang in there and good luck.

Take care and keep in touch.

Regards

Marcelsmile

• Posted

I went to Boots and they said I couldn't take sleep eaze whilst on my AD. I took them before AD and they were great. No sleeping at all- day 15!

• Posted

did you eventually manage to sleep without any sleep aid in the end?

• Posted

The insomnia was the last side effect to go for me, I was feeling loads better but sleep was still fragmented. Then over the course of about a week it just went and I slept through the night. I'm pretty sure it will go away for you too.
    • Posted

Thanks Mark.  All other side effects have gone for me too now, I'm just starting week 5 and starting to feel the benefits.  Hoping the sleep will come back soon.
    • Posted

Did the sleep come back? i've been taking citalopram for 3 weeks now. 10mg for 2 weeks and 20mg now. My mood is getting better but my sleep is bad and affecting me. Getting only 2-3 hours at night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.