Anyone else having trouble getting off hrt after 60?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Premarin since I was 33, I am now 61.  My GP wants me to try to get off of them, tells me I should not need them now.  She has lowered the dose from .065 to .45, it took a while, but I am finally doing ok on the new dose...took about 8 months.  Now with my new insurance, they won't pay for Premarin, so GP has ordered a new one called Estradiol 0.5.  I have not started them yet, finishing the other first.  I have been trying to go every other day on my Premarin for about 2 weeks, then started going every 3 days, well, this is not working at all.  I am now not feeling well, and feeling all kinds of discomfort, including dry, burning, sleepy, no energy, jumpy, not sleeping, night sweats, constantly hot, none of which I had before.  I can not take this business after all this time of being perfectly fine.  I feel like screaming.  I am not a grumpy person, never have been, but now I have to watch my mouth before I speak!  I have never turned my husband away, in 38 years of marriage, but things are not comfortable all of a sudden, if you know what I mean, as they always were.  This is not acceptable!  For either of us!  Any suggestions?  Has anyone else been on this Estradiol?  I am a bit leary, as I have never even heard of it before.  Can you tell I don't like change?  Ha-Ha!  This young GP made this change without even asking me, I went to pick up my meds, and found out at the pharmacy.  They tell me it is pretty close to the Premarin.  I don't react well to meds, so I am very leary to med changes.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I took HRT from 1991 until last year when I decided to reduce it gradually aiming to stop completely. The main reason was because my GP who always prescribed it retired and I didn't think any other GP's would prescribe it. The side effects of stopping were awful. I was having to change the bed nearly every day and I was like a bear with a sore head! My husband begged me to go back on the medication. I went to see the GP and as soon as I told her my symptoms she prescribed me Premarin and thank goodness I'm more like my old self. Regarding Estradiol I have been prescribed that in pessary form by a Urogynaecologist 6 years ago to help build up the vaginal wall and still use it alongside Premarin if I feel I need "something extra" (my doctors words). 
    • Posted

Thank you Matron!  I am so glad I found this forum, I now know I am not alone in this!  I know a lot of people are against Permarin, but it sure works, those that poo-poo it...just wait until they need it!  lol
  • Posted

Hi Deidra, I've been on Estradiol since I was 48, I'm now 68. I love it! Give it some time though. I found out that it takes at least 6 months to start feeling better, but by the 8th month your on track. My last OBGYN tried taking me down to .05 (from 2 mg) I did as he said by tappering down - ended up miserable with your systems exactly. Got a new OBGYN who tested my blood, I was too low, upped me back to 2 mg. Estradiol and though I feel fine now, I'm finding out the 2 mg is too much. Though I took the 2 mg in the beginning, I guess with age I don't need that much now. I called my new OBGYN yesterday about it. Good luck and Estradiol is good, two of my friends also take and love it as well. Just get that blood work to see what doseage works best for you.
    • Posted

In the UK doctors follow the recently updated National Institute of Care Excellence guidelines (NICE) and blood tests aren't recommended anymore and doctors, usually GP's are advised to be guided by a woman's symptoms. 
    • Posted

Oh dear, I hate hearing that. I live in Texas and so far my doctor does, but you just never know when they will stop here as well. Man! Hormone regulating is the pits! Good luck to the both of us. sad
    • Posted

I agree and I think it's all to do with money. Isn't that always the case?
    • Posted

Thank You Judylady!  I am so glad to hear your experience!  I will give the Estradiol a try.  I'm not thrilled about another 6 months of this, but will work on it, and ask my GP about the higher dose for a while for sure. 
    • Posted

I just wish the insurance companies would stay the heck out of our needs.  We don't need someone behind a desk telling our doctors what they can and can't prescribe for us.  We women know our bodies better than anybody else!!  That's another whole discussion! 
  • Posted

Hi deidra40034

I am a 73 year old woman who began HRT in 1989 (at 46 years) when I could not stand the effects of Menopause.  My doctor advised that I should not stay on too long so over the years I went right off it and tried (at a huge expense!) every 'natural' remedy I could find.  A Gynaecologist put me back on HRT in 2003.

Then in 2004 (when I was around 61) a doctor  prescribed Livial/Tibolone because of hot flushes/dryness/mood swings/lack of libido.  Since then we have moved and I have had two doctors who told me I had to get off them....I tried and I was a mess again.  I have decided to take the tablets regardless but I have cut down .....so now take a 2.5mg tab every second day.  And feel wonderful.  I will continue to do that for the rest of my life.  

They do cost me.......$57 for 30 tabs but I have Private Health Insurance and receive a percentage back.   

Now here is what you (and a lot of doctors) should read.........look up Women's eNews and read the article written by Mallory Locklear - 'This Heart Doctor Wants to Clear Up Confusion About HRT'...........by Dr Howard N Hodis.

It is something I have always thought, and will make you feel a lot better about

taking HRT.

Take what you have a gut feeling is the best for your body - and enjoy life to the fullest.

• Posted

deidra40034

I just reread that and it seems a bit confusing at the end of the first paragraph.  Sorry - I forgot to add that in the year 2003, after the Gyno prescribed HRT, I went off them again myself for a while at the end of the year - just to see whether I could cope, and becuase there had been such a lot of media hype about how bad HRT was!

• Posted

Thank You ykay!!  I will absolutely look this up and read.  My Mom was worried about me taking HRT because of all the hoopla about in the news, but what she didn't realize is, they were talking about those that take both, and since I had a complete hyst, I take only Premarin, I was not at the same risk as the others. My cardiologist has no problem with me taking HRT, so I really am going to do what I feel is best for me!  Thank you again for your input!  wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.