Anyone else on Sirolimus for WG?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, diagnosed 3 years ago with WG and started Sirolimus treatment 5 months ago. Have been reading this site on and off for a year or so and wonder if anyone else has been on Sirolimus without other meds and their experience?

My WG is all ENT related, and I am also asthmatic. So just on Symbicort inhaler and Sirolimus - next surgical review in April. So far Sirolimus seems to be holding off the inflammation and only down side has been a few mouth ulcers and chest infection following a cold.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you checked with a rheumotolgist for further treatment like rituxamid i go to two rheumotolgist one is at yale - my primary and the second is doing a study forthe natioal institute of health( NIH) and he has seen over 400 WG patients and both of them agreed to go on this path if your interestedin looking up to seeif go to the wegeners site to see if theremight be a centernear you my diagnosiswas 18 months ago with kidney, artery & vein stenosis,shortness of breath and a stroke plus nowwith mild to severenuerapathy in both legs good luck with your treatment and i hope some of thisinfo is helpful for you
    • Posted

Hi it's only taken me a year to rely - apologies.

I didn't want any drugs through the I/V route, 6 hours of being medicated this way not going to end well and the stats didn't seem compelling.

Sirolimus for 6 months held off issues for another 18months. Just had surgical review and inflammation back but limited and no airways obstruction, so I'm going same again and started treatment this week. Fingers crossed.

• Posted

By way of an update, after 6 months on Sirolimus I've had surgical reviews and I'm symptom free. I'm declaring that a success. It's far less toxic than all regular treatment options and I'm surprised nobody else has been tried on it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.