Anyone else suffered sjs after taking sulfasalazine

Posted , 6 users are following.

After taking this med for almost 4 weeks I developed a terrible skin rash and itched like mad. Facial swelling etc, eventually I was diagnosed with Stevens johnsons syndrome after a skin biopsy. I'm now terribly worried about taking any new meds for my psosartic arthritis. I can't take methotrexate as didn't work and humira not strong enough. Thank you x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

after taking sulfasaladine for 3 weeks im so covered in a rash and itching anyone got any suggestions to make the itching stop

• Posted

Hi forgive me if this is a silly question, but has your gp given you any cortisone to try and stop the reaction and inflammation.?That would need to be taken as tablets or long acting injection.I would prefer tablets.Also sometimes Vitamin C powder might help as well.And i would also try and drink lots of water to help flush away as much of the histamine in the blood.Otherwise what about an anti histamine.?
    • Posted

Sorry i meant to say as much histamine in the blood as possible .I am not sure if any of this will help .I hope so .You must be miserable.God bless i will also pray for you.
    • Posted

ive taken anti histamine for a week been given prednisolone now for three days itching still driving me mad and rash getting worse lol not tried vitamin c powder because was told not to put anything on the skin

thank hyou for prayning for me i believe in  prayer

• Posted

I can see that this was a while ago - but this week I've been prescribed a new med called Otezla - which apparently has very few side effects except the usual GI irritation and nause - have you been offered it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.