Anyone found Citalopram didn't work but another SSRI did?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Iv been on Citalopram 12 weeks now. I had one good week with increasing each dose but I'm now feeling worse than ever. I'm thinking of switching but I'm worried if Citalopram hasn't worked nothing else will sad x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi kirsty

tomorrow will be my 15th week of taking citrolpram a couple of weeks ago I had a really good week thought the med was finally kicking in but then had a blip for a few days ,but since then I have been having more good days and feeling positive that the med will work can you stick it out a bit longer and maybe the med will kick for you

jean x

• Posted

Hi jean! Each time I start each dose it kicks in right away but then stops working. I suppose holding out a little longer isn't going to hurt as I'm dreading coming off them sad Me & my boyfriend split which is seriously adding to my anxiety. When the meds where working I was coping just fine but now I feel all irrational & like I'm going crazy x
  • Posted

Kirsty,Citilopram is an (SSRI) Selective Seretonin Reuptake Inhibitor. Some times patients read the leaflets inside the box and believe all they read. It will state that it will normally take 4-6 weeks to get into the system. (Titrate) Everyone has a different body chemistry so the medication stays in the body at different rates. Citilopram is one of the best SSRI's on the market to date. OK chopping and changing medication might not be the answer to your personal depression and circumstances. By all means disscuss it with your Doctor/GP but 12 weeks might not be long enough for the effects to make you feel better start. Was there a reason for the way you feel? A bereavement, a loss of a job or relationship problem? I'm not trying to preach to you but if you have a reactive depression it will take alot longer to lift your mood, unless the problem has been resolved. If you have an endogenous depression then it is from within and you have no say when it comes and goes. It is a chemical imbalance and only treatable with medication. So hang in there and don't rush things and don't go on sertraline. It can make some people worse than they already are. Unless you are an inpatient and in a controlled environment, so that staff can observe you and your moods. Regards Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.