anyone had a big toe joint replaced?

Posted , 22 users are following.

I have had a big toe joint replacement = all is not well - eight months down the track = been very tough = can pnly just get a pair of flat shoes on - with difficulty.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What does your surgeon have to say ? How was the movement pre op ? Poor you I have similar poor outcome following foot surgery !

I hope you have some support, 

Lou

• Posted

Hi Lou,

Thank you for your message - what has been your problem?  I would be interested to hear your story - did you have a replacement toe joint?

• Posted

Hi there, 

I had a scarf osteotmy and akins procedure pins were put in wrongly and I also had major wound issues am much worse off now than pre op. Only alble to wear flat wide shoes unable to flex big toe upwards ! Disaster , surgeon said it was a less than optimum outcome......!!! 

What did your surgeon say ?

Louise

• Posted

Hi

I had similar in January and still cannot wear any footwear apart from SOFT flats or clogs/ mules. I order these from Amazon. I am feeling quite down about this because I cannot dress up for evening occasions with ugly footwear. The joint is still quite sore. I am a secondary teacher so still get a lot of swelling at the end of the day.

I have tried on so many brands of shoes but with no luck yet.

I was warned by friends that it will take over a year to get back to normal.

lets hope it is so.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that your replacement has not gone well.  I had mine replaced on October 6th, 2014 and have had a very different experience.  My surgeon used a Futura Classic implant constructed of Ultrasil, a medical grade silicone elastomer.  It is produced by the company Tornier who merged with Wright Medical just this year.  I also had an achilles repair performed on the same foot at the same time.  Three weeks on crutches, no weight baring, then two weeks in a soft boot.  The sixth week I was allowed to walk in sneakers.  Eight weeks after surgery, I was taken off all restrictions.  During my recovery, I was diligent with my toe stretching excercises which helped improve my range of motion.  The pain associated with the arthritis and bone spur that was there previously is gone.  There is still some stiffness and mild pain after a day of walking, however, it is diminishing each week.  As a man, I do not have to deal with high heels which is likely an advantage over a woman recovering from this type of surgery.  I would definitely suggest obtaining another opinion from a well-experienced expert in the field.  I have the advantage of being involved in the medical device business for many years and searched out one of the best to perform my procedure.  There are definitely quality differences in surgeons and devices!  Best of luck in finding a resolution.  I understand completely the difficulty of living normally when each step brings pain!  Good luck! 
    • Posted

Hi,  Thank for your reply to my mail - I am hoping you may ber abl to give me some further advice? I am interested to know where you had your op, and if possible the surgeon's name?  I am willing to travel anywhere to get some assistance!  I am sooo fed up with my situation - 9 months into it and I still cannot walk!

Many thanks - hope you reply with some further info.

• Posted

hi Richard. I currently have a titanium screw in my big left toe. I still have a fair amount of pain and not much mobility. I would like to try the toe joint replacement that you did. can you please give me the name number and city of your doctor? Thx
    • Posted

Hi Richard,

I'm having major great toe issues and I'm considering a Primus implant, which is a silicon device. How is yours doing now?

It seems like most folks get toe fusion so I'm a little nervous and looking at all of my options.

Thanks!

Nick

Dallas Texas

• Posted

I'm thinking abut have a primus toe joint put. My question is.

Why all the doctor's don't offer this.

I work in construction, can it take the work load. I'm on my feet alot

• Posted

Hi Richard . Have you heard of the roto-glide implant. Am thinking of having both toes done with this implant .
    • Posted

Hello Richard - thanks for your post.  I am scheduled to have the same Futura Classic toe implant inserted next month and wanted to see how yours is holding up.  Never a good time to do this, but I think the time has come for my "upgrade".  

• Posted

Hello, how are doing after surgery? thinking of doing the same one

Thank you 

• Posted

Did you get the roto glide implant? If so can you share your experience? I have a failed Cartiva implant and leaning toward joint replacement rather than fusion.

• Posted

Ugh. I had my big toe joint replaced as well (and a lapidus and Achilles lengtheni. That was 6 months ago. Even with Physical Therapy and continuing to do exercises to bend toe up and down, I don't have much improvement in big toe movement. When  I go for walks, it is the top of my big toe that hurts. It's nice to find others who've had this done...
    • Posted

Hi. Its the joint and my tendons that hurt when I try to walk, hobble, I do my physio exercises and can bend toe, although painful. Is there no sign of improvement for u?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.