Anyone had a cough or constipated after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my gallbladder taken out on Wednesday, the surgery went well and eventually got home about 10.30pm.

I haven't been able to go to the toilet since I went Wednesday morning before surgery, now I know that's only 2 days but I'm worried about being constipated, I know the painkillers can make me constipated, I took 2 senokot last night thinking it would help but still nothing, don't even feel like I need to go. Tummy is bloated and sore but then I expect that after the surgery.

I woke up from surgery with a cough, last night it has become a lot looser and I have phlegm as well but struggling to cough it up because tummy hurts when I cough.

Has anyone else had this, any advice on what may help it ?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Lucy after any surgery constipation can happen as you are not as mobile, and active as before, make sure you are drinking plenty. I find laxatives work quicker

I suffer from constipation a lot.

Hope you feel more comfortable soon.

Tracey xx

• Posted

Thankyou, I will keep drinking and hopefully something will happen soon, I don't think it helps that I am worrying about not going.x

• Posted

Hi Lucy, Same here I had my surgery first thing Wednesday morning I was home by 1.30pm No bowel movements but coughing up Phlegm and got a nasty sore throat.

Keep coughing that Phlegm up to avoid a chest infection but I think it is normal for us after tgis surgery.

• Posted

That's good that you was home so quick. I assume everything went well?

I'm a bit sore and bloated but expected that, been really tired as well but I assume that's normal after surgery.

Hope your cough goes soon.x

• Posted

The cough is from the tube they put in there. It'll go. In the meantime, hold a soft pillow against your belly when you're about to cough. It'll reduce the pain by spreading the movement across the whole area.

Instead of waiting to cough, breathe out heavily and quickly in a raspy manner to try and and make the tickly bits it go away like that. Also, if you have an inhaler for asthma of your own, that will loosen it all up and stop you coughing for a while after a couple of coughs to clear it.

But two days including the surgery is nothing. Give it several days depending on what you're eating.

Try a suppository if you think you might be blocked up after that. It's an easy and effective 15 minutes that might kick you into gear again. Metamucil makes things real tidy as well on a day to day basis if you have trouble. If you have that daily and nothing is coming out then you've got a knot in there somwhere.

• Posted

Thanks I will try that with the cough. To be honest I haven't eaten a lot yet, haven't been very hungry and also a bit worried about eating the wrong thing , so far I've only really eaten fruit and a bit of chicken So I'm sure that won't help with going to the toilet, think I will just feel better if I can go a little bit. As you said it's still early days so I just need to try and relax and be patient.

Thankyou.xx

• Posted

Hi Lucy

Yes my daughter had the cough , lasted 5 days from the tube apparently.

And due to pain killers she was constipated but not bad now .

If you can't go try to take something again to help or it will get uncomfortable for you, but if nothing happens get checked.

• Posted

Lucy,

?I'm glad you made it through your surgery just fine.  What you are experiencing is normal after having anesthesia.  I know you do not feel hungry, but do eat several small meals a day and drink a lot of water.  Eat a balance of vegetables and fruit, fruit juices, and try to stay away from milk products for the first week. The vegetables and fruit will help move things through your system.  Milk products produce phlegm.  Coughing is good to help remove that, but try drinking hot tea with a little honey and lemon, as the steam from the tea will help loosen up what's in your lungs.  The pillow against the stomach when you cough is a  great way to dissipate the pain.  Don't force a cough, just cough when necessary.  What will also help is to have at least two pillows against your back and head propping you up so you are not laying perfectly flat.  Watch TV, read, and walk at least every couple of hours around the house.  Once you are feeling good enough, take a walk outside with a family member or friend.  You don't have to walk far, just enough to get a little exercise.  It helps with the healing process.  Sounds like you're on your way to a great recovery.  smile

• Posted

Lucy,

?One other thing.  You mentioned you're tired.  That's partly because of the anesthesia and partly your body is trying to heal.  If you feel like sleeping, then take a nap.  I remember I would suddenly feel very tired and sleep for three or more hours.  Then I'd wake up and feel much better.  Your throat may be sore if they put a tube down your throat.  It doesn't last more than a day.  Eating and drinking will help that go away fast.  Don't take a laxative unless the doctor says so.  You can try a stool softner, which is much easier on your system.  Never the less, nature has a way of taking care of things with food and drink.  Don't eat a lot of bread, just stick to your low fat, low carb diet.  Low fat, for the rest of your life. 

• Posted

Thankyou for all your advice. I have just been eating fruit, salad, veg ( not a lot) and chicken. I'm worried about eating anything else. I have avoided dairy because I read it can cause diarrhoea.. my tummy keeps getting really bloated, it looked like a balloon last night and the bloated fullness feeling was where I got the problems from the gallstones. I took laxatives on Thurs night and fri morning and eventually went Fri night but then I couldn't go again yesterday even though I felt like I needed to and I'm sure that didn't help with the bloating. Someone had suggested digestive enzymes which i was taking but have stopped those today to see what happens.

The cough has gone now so that's good. I keep walking around the house and then sitting down when I'm tired.

I know it's still early days, I was expecting to have diarrhoea to begin with after eating not being bloated and not being able to go to the toilet so just surprised me.

• Posted

Hi Lucy

It really does effect each person differently so no rhym or reason as to how things will happen.

Good your cough has gone as that's so painful.

Just do small portions rest when you need to.

• Posted

hi lucy. senokot and lots of water worked for me. also prunes or prune juice. painkillers are constipating. the cough could also be from the breathing tube inserted during surgery. i had a cough b4 surgery and continue to have a cough-doc said its from acid reflux. hopefully the senkot will work soon. i took the tablets at night and after breakfast got results! good luck; feel better.
  • Posted

Hi Lucy,

I just remembered-there is an organic tea both in bags or k-cup called "Smooth Move" by Traditional Medicinals.  Its a natural laxative.  If you have a cup in the evening, it will work the next day.  I added honey but otherwise it has a mild flavor.  Good luck. hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

It's worth noting that the goal is to have your gut get used to the amount of bile that it is receiving now that the bladder-specific issues are removed. After my op I didn't consume anything that wasn't part of a normal food intake (i.e. normal food from years before this whole drama began), including laxatives, antacids, fibre/metamucil etc. My surgeon said to eat normally right from the start and it'll sort itself out.

The point is you want your gut to figure it out without trying to help it along or mess wiht your digestive system.

A bit of fruit, vegetables and chicken can turn into almost nothing inside you, so don't be surprised if 98% of it comes out only as number one.

Obviously everyone is different, and some here clearly have additional problems beyond the gallstones that they are going to have to identify and deal with next.. .e.g. IBS.

Also be wary of complications from the surgery.. infections etc. Get onto your doctor if it's not going as expected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.