anyone had amputation

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just had an operation my 6th due to chronic osteomyelitis and there is an hole you could get your fist in. It all started 3 yrs ago i had a fixator frame on and one of the pinsites became infected. I have not had a day go by without pain and i'm so fed up with all the pain i have asked my consultant if he will amputate. But he says that he has some more tests to do and he is realy concerned about the pain i'm having. He will not admit it but i can tell by talking to him they is'nt much hope. I think he feels he as let me down but i just think i was unlucky and it could have happened to anyone. And i was wondering if they is anyone out there who as had amputation.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your situation.My spouse has chronic osteomyelitis, has had a weeping sinus in his tibia for the last 20yrs and is know pretty desperate to avoid amputation.He has had a debribement (scrape )after they took out the internal fixator. Today he had a morphine based injection for the pain and feels pretty dreadful.I have spoken to someone in South Africa that had osteomyelitis in his knee, has had 3 debribements this year and a knee replacement.The docs took him off antibiotics for 3 weeks so that the lab could get a clear picture of what bacteria to treat and he took advanced Ambratose which is a glyconutrient, and he has healed.The hole has completely closed and his blood test are completely normal.He also had a gallion scan(shows exactly where the infection is ) and a sciatic block put in Like an internal antibiotic irrigation.
  • Posted

hi i'm sorry to hear of your experiance....

I had a lump form on my index finger just over a year ago......

after several visits to the gp and 3 months on antibiotics the lump did not go away, so ended up takin myself to a&e, after more antibiotics it was apparent the problem had gone to far. i ended up having part of my finger removed as osteomyelitis had spread to my bone....

I hope everything works out ok for you.

• Posted

Hello Jonjay

Wanted to find out how you are?

On Friday my partner has just had his right leg amputated below the knee.He has been in pain for 23 years with osteomyelitis and decided to have the amputation to improve his quality of life.He's in pain now , the morphine helps a bit.

Regards

Debfish

• Posted

Hi Debfish

Got out of hospital yesterday after having my below left leg amputated and even though its going to be hard i'm sure that i am going to be better off.

john

• Posted

I am a Below Knee amputee, if anyone has any questions feel free to contact me!
    • Posted

Hi!

My partner has osteomyelitis in his lower femur bone and is considering amputation as the pain and discomfort it too much. Is there any chance he could email you? We are in Australia and there's no one going through this here! We've been told it's been over 20 years since they have seen anything like this!

• Posted

Hi jonjay how's it going forgot my pass word and haven't been on, I'm a amputee below the knee,I hope you are finding youself in a better place my doctor just laughing about it said he didn't know much about clexin ha wish he had phone a friend to late now and I got a clot in my leg but I'm here to give him trouble.I hope you are feeling abit better. 

• Posted

I have had ob maybe threw months i think i caught it early i am on antibiotics for 6 weeks i its in my tibia and i will never consider amp. I dont have alot of pain just a lil discomfort i hope things get better for u

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.