Anyone had colon resection surgery without a stoma?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been hospitalised 5 times this year for diverticulitis and an abscess which is recurring.

I have an appointment tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it will result in surgery needing to be done.

Has anyone had the resection surgery without needing to have the stoma?

Please share your experiences, I am panicking.

Thank you

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Stacy, I had a resection about three and a half weeks ago. They couldn't perform it laparoscopically, so the surgeons had to "open me up" but here I am, at home with NO stoma.

Okay, I won't kid you by saying it's been easy but others say it's well worth it. Those emergency visits to the hospital will be a thing in the past.

Come Tuesday it will be four weeks on, for me. I am feeling quite well and able to drive although I get tired quickly and have lost over 20lbs. On the plus side my bowel is showing signs of improvement already.

Good luck at your appointment, tomorrow.

• Edited

Yes, Stacy, I had colon resection on 7/6/16 and total sigmoid colon removal and no stoma; I question this and believe now that I need a stoma, etc.  Because, I still cannot poop without Miralax and surgeon has me on Miralax daily and indefinitely (his words).  I started having heart palps which I correlate to Miralax ingestion since bottle says to take Miralax no more than 7 da. then discontinue. Also checked and Miralax can be problematic for patient with heart, liver, and kidney pre-existing issues. Scary to me. Others I have read have had no problems whatsoever pooping following resection.  Had a grapefruit-sized abscess in colon lying in vaginal cavity; was very sick. Again, many I have read about in threads do not have constipation issues, they have too much pooping issues. The opposite of my problem. Wishing you the best! 
    • Edited

Hi Jade

After reading your post I looked up Miralax and this is what I found.

"Polyethylene glycol 3350 (PEG 3350) is the active ingredient in Miralax and similar generic products that are given to constipated children, sometimes daily for years. However, the FDA has never approved long-term daily use of the laxatives in adults or children, The New York Times reported. 6 Jan 2015"

If you are concerned you might wish to ask your doctor to change your laxative.  I personally take psyllium husk powder twice per day now, and have been taking a single dose daily for 15 years with no side effects - unless you count 4 - 6 soft well formed movements a day.  It is derived from the seeds of a plant.

"Psyllium is a form of fiber made from the husks of the Plantago ovata plant’s seeds. It sometimes goes by the name ispaghula.

It’s most commonly known as a laxative. However, research shows that taking psyllium is beneficial to many parts of the human body, including the heart and the pancreas."

There are several brand names, depending where you live - Fybogel in the UK and Metamucil in the USA.  Of course there might be medical reasons why your doctor did not prescribe it, which is why I suggested getting medical input before changing.  There may be something else more suitable for you.  Best wishes

• Posted

Felina, yes I now (not every day) take Metamucil (brand) not generic; and it as you does help poop to move through colon. Major difference.  Have you had a colo-resection?  If so, Felina, do you still have your sigmoid colon?  Would you mind sharing your constipative issues, and/or any surgery information you have experienced/undergone, please.  Thanks for your post.  Jade
    • Posted

Hi Jade

I still have everything - no resection.  Here in the UK treatment is very different.  Surgery is only done very much as an emergency last resort for a fistula or obstruction.  Abscesses are drained where possible.  My cousin, who is in the medical profession, advised me not to have surgery until it was essential.  So although I have had 4 flare ups, all that happens is I am given 5 days antibiotics to take at home.  From what I have gathered from comments on this forum, in the USA it's 2 flares then the chop!  (Or how the surgeons make money).

I joined the forum because after 3 months I was still in pain, with very little advice from the NHS, just a leaflet telling me what Diverticular Disease was, and eats lots of fibre, or not if it gives you pain!!  I've got all my information from the people who really understand this disease - the sufferers on the Forum!!

So I have now doubled my Fybogel (Metamucil in USA) to twice a day, plus I take pure aloe vera juice twice a day, and a probiotic drink.  From being all over the place - no regular bowel movements,  constipation and spasms, I now go regular as clockwork (soft and well formed) an hour after I get up, then 2 hours later.  During the day I then have a further 2 - 4 movements, the last one usually a couple of hours before bedtime.  So I know my system is nicely cleared out.  Since starting this regime, I have slowly become pain free and now just get the odd twinge.

I think I must be one of the lucky people from what I have read on this site, even though I have been told, from my CT scan, that I have very severe Diverticular Disease.  I am just grateful it was not bowel cancer, which is what I was sent to be examined for.

Best wishes

• Posted

Appreciate reply Felinia.  I believe strongly a person's age plays a major factor here in the U.S.A. re: surgery, etc.  Also the patient's complaints and blood work, also the CT w/Contrast helped determination re: surgery.  Abscess sitting in colon - if ruptures could possibly terminate patient. For good.  Am grateful I had surgery, but no while going through what I've already shared and desribed here in this incredible forum. And again a huge thank you to Stacy for posting her thread here.  What brand of Aloe Vera juice do you twice daily drink? Also what probiotic drink do you ingest and is this also daily?  What is the definition of the "odd twinge"?  I am probably much older than you and use caution even when you are pooping regularly for prior to surgery I was pooping like a race horse (pardon) and then constipation (prior to surgery it was years back constipation then diarrhea (ms?) then repeat.  Then pooping very well daily, then all of a sudden in I believe April or May last year - all hades broke loose.  I didn't see this coming.  So caution is advised. I would since you have already been diagnosed with Diverticular Disease, are needing to be quite vigilant even while doing good maintenance re: Metamucil, aloe vera juice, and the probiotic (name please ?) drink. Please educate me on the aloe vera juice brand and the probiotic drink brand and how many x/s per day do you drink the probiotic drink?  I feel luck myself as well, because surgeon said, "Be grateful that I am not sitting here telling you that you have terminal cancer."  I am grateful. I also am angry at times, because I was dx'd w/o informing me face to face (in med. records only that I asked for) all the way back to 2012 with Diverticulosis.  Then again in med. records only, 2015 after second !@#$@@!!~$$% colonoscopy.  Then in 2016, you know most of the rest of my story.  Just because I was having pre-surgery bowel movements does not mean and it is true in my case that I did indeed have a up until Apr. or May of last year a grapefruit sized abscess sitting in my colon and resting (pulled down my colon) into my vaginal cavity).  Had to have been there quite some time - undetected even after 2 colonoscopies.  I pray that you will share about your aloe vera juice and your probiotic drink (especially).  Thanks for posting to me. I wish you all the best in life that life has to offer Felinia.  Jade

• Posted

Hi Jade

This will surprise you.  I was diagnosed 15 years ago at 51 (agree totally about the £$%& colonoscopy - they tried twice and failed twice, hence a barium enema and CT scan).  I am now 66 coming on 67!  I am considered old for surgery - anyone over 65 in the UK is considered at increased risk. 

The Aloe Vera Juice comes from a well known brand of Health Food shops here in the UK.  I can't give the name, because the moderator will delete the post.  Sufficient to say it is not in the USA.  I get pure maximum strength and take two 15ml teaspoons a day.  Again the probiotic drink is a 100ml pot of a well known British brand which I can't name - frustrating!!  I guess you would have to look online.

The odd twinge is maybe a twinge 2 or 3 times a day, usually first thing before bowel movement number 1.  I used to be in constant pain, particularly every time I moved.  But I don't have your surgery pains to deal with.  I think because I try to eat healthily with sensible portions, I am keeping things under control.  I've also just returned to my gentle exercise regime, now the pain has subsided.  But I am aware that I could be the next fistula or perforation.  My cousin was in his 70's when his erupted and he had to have the operation and stoma.  It was reversed, but then he had to have a permanent bag some years later.  Like I said - I'm one of the lucky ones as it could be so much worse!  Hope you progress.

• Posted

You're right, Felinia and I am so glad at this moment in time that you do not have post surgery incision healing intermittent pain (less and less every month).  Healing is good - and pain often comes with any type you know. So we are nearly same age. I just turned 64 years old.  How come I was able to mention Metamucil here, and you are not allowed to mention healthy brand name products as well? Felinia?  Is that UK's policies. For I am confused.    I have never heard of a probiotic drink and yes I will check on internet.  What is a 100 ml (I don't know my ml table literally, lol).  Does pot stand for potassium?  Are we allowed to give our email addresses here?  So we are allowed to speak more openly about what healthily aides us i.e. product brand names, etc? Jade

• Posted

Hi Jade

Lots of questions to answer.  You can mention the product on the site, but not the supplier where you get it from apparently.  So I can say Aloe Vera Juice, but not to get it from a certain well known shop or supplier.  My probiotic drink is Actimel which is widely available in UK supermarkets.  it comes in 4 oz (100 millilitre) little plastic pots.  I understand from these posts that there are various US equivalents in powder and drink forms.

We are not allowed to give email addresses in these posts - for personal security reasons.  However just below your name you will see a little envelope.  If you find my name and the envelope below you can click on that and send a private message, which is secure from other members, and potential hackers.  Good healing

• Posted

Hi everyone

Well after being hospitalised for the 6th time, they have decided to do the resection.

It's scheduled for the 9th Feb and I'm in a bit of a panic.

They will try keyhole, but I'm not a good candidate due to the number of flare ups I've had. They're also going to avoid th bag of possible.

Basically, the doctor said until they open me up they just won't know the outcome. I'll find out when I wake up.

What should I expect after the surgery?

Anyone know the approximate recovery time, as my work decided I'll not be paid as I had too much time off last year (all in hospital due to diverticulitis).

• Posted

Stacy, You have been going through a horrible time and now you believe surgery is emminent?  That said, I had a colo-resection and 12 in. sigmoid colon was removed back in 7/6/16.  I still have rectum, and I still have anus.  I have no stoma/ostomy etc.  And pooping even with daily laxatives (switched from toxic Miralax (mentally and physiologically when taken for months - instead of bottle's directions of only 7 days and we all know there is a reason manufacturer's put take only 7 days warning on bottle - for distinct reasons.  Miralax became toxic in my body's system and I began to have heart arrythmia, atrial fib, tachycardia after months of ingesting polyethylene glycol.  I was having problems prior to surgery with above heart issues until I went to emerg. room and enema given and electrolytes, calcium, magnesium, and other nutrients colon had constipatively seized and would not allow body to have and process nutrionally. Following surgery, no heart issues, until about two or so weeks post surgery when I realized that I was not going to be able fecal eliminate (poop) without chemical assistance or a stoma/ostomy. Surgeon said no ostomy, etc.  And I finally convinced him to switch me off Miralax due to horrific mental, and physiological side effects.  On Senakot S (he wanted me on Senna tabs) I knew that I would not be able to defecate on Senna tabs.  If not a laporoscopic surgery and I was cut from immed. below belly button all the way down into my pubic area, then all muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, and tissues, etc. all the way down to the sacrum and pubic bone are completely cut away and recovery time is difficult. Yes, it is.  When I use to poop, I could use those abdominal muscles that were cut to help push fecal matter, and post surgery there is nothing until - only for me and no one else - until around December (beginning) that I could feel muscles in abdomen rejoining (when I would cough, or push on commode to defecate, etc.)  I had an abscess the size per surgeon of a grapefruit and it was inside my colon and it was lying encased in colon down in my vaginal cavity - and sitting there.  My sigmoid colon was severely infected with abscess' infection and the pain - at times well, indescribable pre-surgery (again ended up in emerg. room because again colon had seized all my body's nutrients that I had supplied my body, and the nutrients are body makes on it's own were not being metabolized.  Surgeon said post-surgery "What a mess, what a mess down there - you had a grapefruit-sized abscess..." such caring medical terms grrr.  I will be honest with you.  I with two Senakot S pills every early evening (this is not good for colon and eventually - whenever it happens - will permanently hurt colon (musosal lining, and colon's peristatlsis, and everything will stop, at some point. I pray not.  I pray that I will continue - and this is the hard part to tell you about me - that I will continue every day to dig my fecal matter (poop) out of my anus as it finally drops down into where the sigmoid colong USE TO BE. The sigmoid colon had longitudinal muscles and some circular muscles plus stool use to receive water/fluid to help plump it and move poop on down into rectum, then out anus. Not the case anymore, unfortunately, Stacy.  Now, I put on plastic gloves and I pick poop out at least once sometimes twice daily.  I first post surgery had small bowel movements, then nothing, then Miralax, then smaller less frequent bm's; then Senakot and I have been off and on using Metamucil and this is extremely important to use it if not once a day to aid your poop to come down into rectum, then at least take Metamuci every other day or so - to your needs.  You will know when your bm's are getting rock hard and stuck so badly.  There again, none of what I have shared here is the same for every colo-resection patient. Individual outcomes. I have read a lot.  With abscess sitting inside of you, for me, that is and was a ticking infectious time bomb and if not encased in your colon and colon ruptures, sepsis (possible), and well, abscess needs to come out - must come out, unless you are unable (age and other health reasons) to withstand surgery and a for some - major change in fecal elimination habits, Stacy. Message me anytime, if I have left anything out you need answers to please let me know.  I am here for you as others in this forum have been here for me thanks to this (your) wonderful thread that you posted a good while back.  Oh, I eat softer foods; surgeon had informed, "You can eat anything - no diet restriction for you."  Untruth.  I tried whole wheat, bulky foods like beans, etc. And for only me - dariy is a no-no.  Constipates me even worse - if that is possible.  I want to have hope that as my abdominal muscles, nerves, etc. continue to mend that I may be able to someday defecate without any laxatives.  However, Stacy, defecation is vitally important just like as you know - kidney function. So I will continue with Senakot S x 2 (little orange pills) and I began about 2 wks. ago taking Kroger generic - sooo much less expensive $14 compared to $4 per box of 20 pills.  Please, please let me know how you are doing. Updates, please. I do care.  I've been there done that, and continuing to prayerfully to God, heal.  Jade 

• Posted

Correction: 30 pills in generic Kroger bottle; also I like chicken a lot; and rotisserie (ms?) chicken will move down into rectum and on down into anus where I can with gloves on pull fecal matter on out.  Soft foods for me now (do not know about future) are the order of the day. Best wishes and prayers up to God for you Stacy to have a good surgical and life outcome post surgery. Jade
    • Posted

Oops, almost forgot, Stacy - Recovery Time:  That will depend on the surgery. You mentioned "keyhole" does that mean laporoscopic? Recovery time is different as you know for different types of surgeries for colo-resection and also depends on as surgeon as informed you - of what they find when they cut you open, as in my case, as well.

With my type of surgery and sigmoid removal - I do not work anyway, that said: Had I been working I would never have been able to go back to work until probably October? maybe?  Being cut open (gutted I call it like a fish) sorry, but that is how I felt, was extremely painful, moving was painful, walking, etc.  I was in severe pain trying to sit on commode, poop, everything (I am speaking of immediately post surgery) until about Latter Sept. or 1st week of Oct. '16.  Then I became a little by little more ambulatory, and I still have pain in the abdomen, 1-5 (2-3) at times not all the time; still in recovery. Surgeon said a couple or so months ago when I was so upset about Miralax side effects because surgeon was inferring that - this was all in my head - that it would take another year of recovering before I would be back to my original self again.  I do not believe, after my sigmoid colon (muscles, etc. in sigmoid) was removed that I will ever poop normally again.  I am 6 mths. out from surgery, still picking poop out of my anus.  Ain't that a kick in the head.  I am not embarrassed to state truth.  Your post-surgery experience may, could, and possibly will be totally opposite, different, and/or similar to mine. Please let me know if I have helped you at all, for your thread here in this wonderful forum has and continues to help me - a GREAT deal. Jade

• Posted

Hi Jade... Thank you so much for the info. I'm currently having pain so the doctor has given me some antibiotics and sent me for a blood test, but I think I might just have really bad gas. My stomach is bloated and hard and I'm in a lot of pain. Not sure what's brought it on, but I suspect it's either the lactolose or the large amount of fibre I've eaten recently. I am praying I don't end up in hospital again, as it will be emergency surgery for sure.

• Posted

Stacy, I don't presume to know all the ins and outs of your case, however let me caution you please.  And no I am not rushing or pushing you towards colo-resection surgery.  That said, doctors do NOT know what is lying inside of your abdominal wall/colon.  CT w/ and w/o contrast only shows dr. that there is a problem.  So as a Christian and I care about you - this thread you started so long ago has been live-saving and life-giving to so many (perhaps God working through you to post here), please you have been having problems for years now, and no one except God knows what is fully and completely going on inside of your bowels, inside of your abdomen. Doctors only know for I was told this that after they cut into me and pulled my intestines out and laid them on table next to me - were they able to see the grapefruit-sized abscess sitting inside of my descending colon.  Only then were they able to see that abscess had pulled my colon (weight) down into my vaginal cavity.  Dr. was clear post-surgery, when he said, "You were a mess, you were such a mess down there."  He would not even come into my room. I believe due to the severity of what he (dr.) found and had to remove, etc. I could have lost my entire colon, Stacy if infection had remained encased in my colon and had infection burst through intestinal (colon) wall.  I fired dr. for mysogynistic behaviors and hands off approach. And his Christian colleague took over.  Please, Stacy, I unwittingly and uneducatedly allowed this infection (undetected by colonoscopy x 2 to go undetected (2nd colonoscopy scope would not advance - I woke up twice during 2015 procedure - yet was only told in medical records ONLY - that diverticulosis - when I most definitely had diverticulitis and it was killing me softly.  Killing me, Stacy.  So please do not be mad at me (crying now) for trying to share my cautionary tale to you.  Doctors do not know what is going on fully inside of you unless they go in, precious Stacy.  And thank you, oh thank you so very much for your thread here in this amazing Patient forum.  You are helping so many people - even those who do not post, yet read invaluable posts from you, and others here about subject matter that is most difficult to find anywhere else but here on internet.  Much love (agape) and prayers going up to God for you, precious Stacy.  Forever, Jade.

• Posted

Stacy, have been praying for you, how are you? Jade
    • Posted

Hi Jade, thank you for your prayers.

I am in the hospital now after my colectomy. It went well with no bag, but after a suspected bleed 2 days after, they had to go back in.

It's been a challenge and I am 3 days into my second week.

I started eating and drinking and passing wind, so they are happy with my progress and I should be going home soon.

I am terrified of having a shower though or doing anything to the staples. Especially as they are uncovered now.

Any tips for showering and keeping staples covered after surgery? How long do they need to be there?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.