Anyone had second toe fusion ?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi I have just been to see the consultant for my six week check up, I explained I was unhappy about my second toe, he was very kind and spent some time explaining things to me. Physio not won't work, the best thing for it would be to fuse the toe so it is straight. Not only that it looks like I broke my big toe in the fall I had the other week.. not sure exactly what was said, but the it means possibly another op on my big toe too..I am going to leave it for a few months and wait for my foot to heal before going ahead and choose exactly what to have done.. 

I just wondered if anyone has had their second toe fused and what it feels like to have it done, does it feel strange not being able to bend the toe? Has it changed the footwear you can wear? Flip flops for example.. Do your old shoes fit? Not sure how I feel about it all at the moment, I guess I was ok at first, but now I am a bit scared..😟

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am having this done in a weeks time along with correction surgery for a previous scarf/akin bunion surgery which I had nearly 4 years ago and which has failed. I have friend who had the fusion surgery and she has had no problems since.
    • Posted

Thanks Susan, perhaps you will keep me informed as to how it goes and the results.. Good Luck and hope the operation goes well x
    • Posted

I also meant to say, I'm sorry your operation has failed, that's the operation I had done, with a soft tenotomy on the Second and third toe.. 
    • Posted

I had a tendon transfer on my second toe in June last year but that failed too, hence the fusion. I think it must be me doing too much too soon. I have vowed that this time I will take it easy. We seem to be in a similar position because my consultant said in his letter to my GP that I have had a post operative fracture after my bunion surgery which has caused a malunion.
  • Posted

Hi Sawmpiesue,

it sounds to me as though you didn't get the support you needed from the consultant.  Sorry you also broke your big toe which doesn't help.  Re toe fusion, I'm fairly sure it means you can't bend your toe in which case it will affect your walking gait.  I would see your GP if you can, to discuss what's best for you.  If you're scared it's because you are not happy or informed so don't be afraid to ask more questions and even change consultants, if need be! I hope that helps.  Let us know what happens...

• Posted

To be honest with you mumbles the consultant was really nice, it drew a picture to show me what he did.. He also showed me the X-rays and how they had altered over the past few weeks before and after the operation also after my fall and now. It's my fault I don't ask questions because I Medically I can't take information. I get confused. Ita easier to ask people on here because I can read the answers over and over so it goes in. I will ask my Consultant when I see him again, I have five months to see how the foot progresses and also how I cope with this floppy toe.. 
    • Posted

I also forgot to say in my post, that I had a Scarf Ostotomy just and soft tendon release on the second and third toes just six weeks ago..hope that's what it's called..
    • Posted

I don't think many people take in everything that's said in the consulting room.  Taking someone else to your appointment can be useful.  It helps with remembering.  Do you know why your second toe is floppy? 
    • Posted

I took my husband in, he thought I broke my foot in the fall I had.. Shows how much he was listening lol... 

I think maybe that both tendons were cut instead of one, but not exactly sure...so don't quote me on that... 

• Posted

Oh dear, what a business! I couldn't help smiling about your husband though!  I hope someone on patient.info can help you out with the tendons, it sounds a complicated situation.  As you say, maybe in a few weeks there will be some improvement.  My sister broke her big toe recently and it took a while to heal.  Keep in touch.  

• Posted

Thanks Mumbles, as you can see from my later post, the reality of it all has hit me now and I am feeling a bit low. At the moment I am sitting with a ice pack on my foot trying to get the swelling down.. X
  • Posted

Hi,

I am 7 weeks 5days post op and I had bunion surgery, hammer toe surgery and fourth tow straightened.  My second toe is fused and so far it sems to be OK.

I have managed to go shoppoing today and managed to walk over a mile with a few stops for coffee. My toe looks fine cosmetically and certainly much better than it did before as a pronounced hammer toe. It is a little strange that I cannot curl the toe like the others but I think once everything settles down it is not something that will bother me. Once the surgery is a thing of the past there is no real reason to practice curling toes.

I did find it a little difficult to come downastairs in the normal way but I went to see physio yesterday and she explained that my toes are not flexible enough yet. She gave me some exercises to do and today I managed to walk down most of the stairs normally.

Hope that this helps.

Still sometimes experience  some pain but nothing that is concerning me at the moment.

Have not tried to wear flip flops yet but do not see any reason why there would be a problem.

• Posted

Glad your recovering well Christine, I must confess after going through all this I am gutted, my big to is no longer straight but won't know the full extent of the damage till the Shelly goes down.. I even think my bungion has returned which is why I may need another opereration on my big toe as well the second toe fusion. What you have said about finding it hard to walk up and down stairs has certainly given me something to think about. My main concern is that I will be able to walk normally in the future.. 
    • Posted

Sorry about the misspelling and strange words, its the predictive text on my I pad, and the fact I was tired so did not read it through... Hopefully you realise I mean to means toe and Shelly means swelling, I can't belive all this, and am really depressed today now the extent of everything has finally sunk in...
    • Posted

I am sorry for all that you are going through Sue. I can totally understand you are feeling low. I always struggle to remember the consultant conversations so wrote it down this time. It sounds like he has tried to fully explain to you which is good. Can't believe you broke your toe in the fall..such bad luck along with everything else you are coping with.  Sending you lots of cyber love and support and wishing you a good recovery. Xx
    • Posted

Thank you Sue, I can't belive it either, I even went straight back to the hospital after the fall and was told it was only a little damage, I can only assume the break did not show up and the bone moved somehow so it was Easier to see the break despite my being really being careful.. I guess the thing is to heal now and decide what to have done in 5 months..

So if anyone else has had their smaller toes fused I would really appreciate any comments, good or bad.. 

• Posted

Christine, I wondered if I could ask why you found it hard to come stairs, what was the problem, was it balance ? Or what was causing it? xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.