anyone had superficial thrombophlebitis? Anxiety through the roof :-(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i had surgery for an ectopic pregnancy 3 weeks ago tomorrow in theater they put a canular in my arm(between my wrist and elbow) . Ive had anxiety and panic for over a year now so from googling i know pretty much everything infact i actually got my diagnosis for the ectopic pregnancy from myself even after the dr.s told me it was just normal spotting. So where i had the iv line in my arm became really sore and hard with pains shooting up my arm i left it a week to see if it went away but it didnt.. So yesterday i went to my dr. who said that i had hardening of the blood vessel superficial thrombophlebitis . He said first of all it is not I repeat not dangerous or serious and is not like a DVT(my biggest fear) so i asked what treatment there is and he said nothing nothing atall if i want to ease the pain take some ibuprofen but it will go away itself although it would take 3-4 months for the vessel to turn soft again. So i felt pretty happy anf not worried atall, i came home and decided to google about how to hurry the process up which i really shouldnt have done now because i read all the horror storys of people being told they have Superficial thromb and it turned into a DVT!!! So now im back to square one waiting for it to turn into a DVT and eventually break off and cause a P.E!!! Has anyone ever had it before ? Does anyone know the chances of it turning into a DVT?? All the info i can find on them turning to dvts is very very limited and the majority are when it happens in the legs. I have 4 children and life and anxiety was going brilliant till the ectopic pregnancy happened and now this !!! I feel as if im waiting for a timebomb to go off in my body. Im not in constant pain with my arm Its on and off . The effected arm is the same colour and temp as the other and it doesnt look swollen either , but i sometimes get the feeling its burning and prickling but when i check to temo of it its the same temp as the other.. Im getting into a right state over this now. Any help or advice would be so helpful . My partner and family think im a mental case as think my anxiety and panic has gone on too long now and they now are not supportive , tell me to grow up and get over it so i cant even talk to them about this .

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know exactly what your going threw but I have been going threw my panic and anxiety ten years but another bad flare up this past year and I to fear the worst of every pain and have four small kids and my anxiety and around suddenly dying and leaving them as a lot of my family lately have beendying suddenly and my husband tells me the same tthing to grow up and act like a grown woman cause I can't drive by myself or stay home alone and it only makes it worst with no support no one thats not going threw anxiety can never understand the fear we go threw
  • Posted

Hi melissa its awful i was doing so so well . U sound exactly like me i wont go out on my own as im terrorfied im going to die. I hate being home on my own although that has got alot better since this time last year , i guess its just a bad flare uo but that doesnt make it any easier :-( .. I would give anything to be the person i was 2 years ago i was happy not bothered by much and enjoyed my life. The past few weeks have been horrid its like the anxiety has come back. Our parnters just dont understand how hard it really is its not easy living in fear everday. But i do think it makes us stronger because if we were not strong we would have let the anxiety win a long time ago but we are still here :-) . 10years is horribly long and i feel for you. x
    • Posted

Yes I think that to and no they don't I feel as if the people I know think I'm doing it just because I feel like it why in the world would I want to be scared all the time and I really envy people who are my age and have no care
  • Posted

Hi I know this is an old post but I too have been diagnosed with superficial thrombosis and it's scary be to death. I'm convinced I'm gonna get a dvt and turn in pe. Iv been given naproxen by the doctor but I'm simply petrified.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.