Anyone have Pompholyx Eczema?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had a rash on my palms since May and recently on my left foot. I have been to the dermatologist too many times to count and they did a patch test and said I have a nickel allergy. My concern is its not going away and flares up every few days unless I put a steroid cream on it and then my palms flake and crack. Its a never ending cycle and its never gone away completely. I'm 34 and have never had allergies. I have gone over my day to day routine and removed all nickel that comes to mind. I'm at a loss and miserable. I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 16 and get remicade infusions. Any suggestions? I'm going back to the Dr on Monday but I just feel like I'm wasting my time and money sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My 16 yo boy is going through the same thing. Suddenly this fall he is having major flare ups. We tried quitting milk and dairy, changed soap, I put him on veggie/juice/smoothie daily. What we see as immediate trigger is this:

1. He WILL get flare up if he doesn't put lotion on daily. Vaseline lotion in spray works for him as he is very hairy and it's painful process to use lotions in cream form. It's expensive and he runs out quickly. But this is the best thing you can do for yourself. Moisterize. 

2. He can not wear wool, polyester, or any other synthetic fabric.

The higher the percentage of cotton the better. We aim for 100% cotton. But the world has turned polyester. So meticulously check the labels of clothing you buy. We bought him a winter coat he loved but it's wool. So he needs to make sure he has cotton underneath, so the wool doesn't touch in the wrist and neck area. I know it's a pain in the neck.

• Posted

You poor souls dealing with that. Have nothing to help you I am afraid but I have been suffering with similar for last year and am going back to dermatologist hopefully for patch testing. My hands and feet are just like yours hokiegal22 so hope I find out what what my trigger is. I've just spent a week on a vegetable diet ( to lose weight) but nothing changed! Guess must be clothing or external contact. Weird the way the body behaves against us. Good luck anyway.
    • Posted

Sweetie the body doesn't work against us. We live in world of polyester and antibiotic fed animals and plants. We are not feeding our body the right food. It takes a lot longer that one week to clear the body of toxins fed over years and years. Give it three months.  I found a lot of good materials to try for him, from these forums. So read and learn. Doctors only prescribe. They won't do anything else.

Good luck and patience.

• Posted

Very true shay. So difficult to unraveling the mystery of what we do to ourselves. As you know already this forum helps share good information. Had no idea can get a spray Vaseline so will check that out. Not heard of Candid or Myda cream so need to get searching for them too. Thanks all for taking time to give info. Really helps.
  • Posted

Hi Hokiegal, you have my sympathies.  I am also allergic to nickel & no longer wear any jewellery because of the nickel content in gold and silver.  I also buy bras that are nickel free.  I had thought about hooks & eyes but hadn't considered the wires in under wired bras. If you are in the UK, M&S bras are nickel free, whereas Fantasie aren't.

I also bought stainless steel cutlery with no nickel in it, you want to look for 18/0 on the back, the 0 refers to the nickel content

I had a similar rash & a Dermatologist told me it was Pompholyx but it turned out to be something else 

Have a look at Derm net NZ it is a mine of information

https://www.dermnetnz.org/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.