Anyone have symptoms come back after decompression surgery

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had decompression surgery in July '16. It felt good not to have pain afterwards. Just recently after Christmas my symptoms came back. Migraines, blurred vision, loss of balance and so on.

My neuro surgeon told me symptoms might come but didn't know that soon. I'm getting a second MRI done to see if any changes from before.

My question is has anybody has a 2nd surgery and is it worth it? I can't take heavy meds due to I'm a school bus driver.

Has anyone went on permanent disability due to Chiari?

TIA...

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes is the answer.to symptoms. My Neurosurgeon, top in this country, admitted in a letter to me that in a survey around 20% of his patients reported some symptoms after surgery. Don't forget the Chiari affected the brain, thats why you had the operation. I had my decompression/ cauterisation back in 2008 and still get some of the symptoms. A further MRI last year showed that the hernination had not reoccured, but possible CSF problems might be the cause 

• Posted

Hi,

I had the surgery in 2014. I have iprogressively gotten worse. I went on Short Term Disability and after six months went to Long Term Disability. As soon as LTD could file with Social Security they did.The way my insurance worked once my claimed was accepted by SS was

1. LTD paid 60 % of my employer salary

2. SS paid the diff of my SS disability and my employer salary until 66 in my case

In my case my employers insurance company worked to get my claim accepted by SS.

I don't know your state and the insurance policy could be underwritten a lot of different ways. I worked in HR and Risk Management about 20 years 10 in local county government. Normally if you worked enough hrs you would qualify for FAmily Medical Leave. Basically, if you don't qualify for benefits with your job, you need to get a lawyer to assist you to file with SS. Call your Benefits Rep at the school. I wish you good luck. Btw- some states pay disability.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I exhausted my FMLA... My dr. wants to put me off work but at this time is the wrong time to take off again. I know my health comes first but been at my job for 11 yrs.

I'm in CA. Someone told me I can apply for ADA...

• Posted

Hi,

California was the state that I had heard had the disability benefit. You might check Americans Disability Act on the internet to get a good definition of what assistance they can provide. A copy of your job description is good to have on hand whatever you decide. Take care-

• Posted

Hi, I had decompression 2yrs ago, and have just had results of 2nd scan, it was ok but consultant thinks damaged nerves are cause of symptoms and discharged me, although operation took away the severe pressure, I have always had dizziness and nausea and some pressure since operation. I do work a few hrs as domestic in hospital in the evenings as mornings sometimes take me a little while to pull myself together. After my operation I was taken off on sick pay, it only lasts a certain time in UK I think 6month. I didn't have enough points to go on disability. I'm lucky my husband works and I can't get my pension for another 4yrs till I'm 66yrs although I worked all my life. I couldn't do full time, as have other conditions, more age related things lol.. But wish you all well on here xxx

• Posted

Hi gemini916

I had my decompression in May 2016 and had no symptoms at all after but in October/November pins and needles and neck symptoms at first then major pain ringing in my ears and balance problems I am going back to my neurologist in February here in England. So can understand your distress, will repost after my visit,

• Posted

I'm on disability beicause I delayed surgery too long and that caused syringomyelia to develop inside my spinal cord My son has had to have over 20 surgeries because his first one was messed up so bad by a local lying Dr who claimed he knew about chiari You must research a doctor well, before you allow them to do the posterior fossa decompression surgery for chiari. Go to. wacma .com. There are lists of qualified surgeons there for you. You may have to travel or you may find one near you. In any case this is so very important for your future health. Good Luck!!

• Posted

Hi sorry can't help As i m deciding on whether to go thru with surgery at present

My surgeon has told me it's no cure and symptoms may re occur though

Would you mind saying how long your recovery took ? How long you were off work ?

Much appreciated

• Posted

Hi mandy, my recovery was at least 10 wks as had every side effect you could get, said I was unlucky. Was sick and dizzy every morning, lost my speech for few days which was due to nerve damage. I was unsteady walking but as wks past I got stronger and stronger. You can't hurry your recovery you have to have plenty rest. Some recover really quickly but I was told 6 to 12 wks. And every one is different. It's a big operation. Even though I won't be the same as before the chiari reared its ugly head, I'm working part time and know my limits, some days are good others not so. Best of luck hun x

• Posted

Thanku for your reply . I know no two recover the same , I m just worried about time off work

Best of luck x

• Posted

Depending on your job and how you are. I would estimate 2month to 3 month.
    • Posted

Appreciate the reply . 2-3months is better than i expected you to say I m a hairdresser so no wages while I m off only statutory sick pay .

Someone told me chiari is classed as a disability so could claim but I haven't looked into it

Thanks

• Posted

I had just taken my redundancy and was going to sign on to the job centre, as my op was delayed, they put me on ssp, they told me as I was on waiting list I wouldn't be suitable for employment, but when that ran out I was assessed to see if could still claim but they told me I didn't have enough points, was able to pass papers over desk and put my coat on unaided so I was ok to find work. I did eventually find a little part time work .

• Posted

It took about 2 1/2 months to start moving my neck side to side.

I was off 12 wks from work.

• Posted

I was back home in 2 days and inconvienced for 4 weeks but back to normal in 6 weeks a little tired still but ok

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.