Anyone know about treatment for a baker' cyst?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all - have had a baker's cyst behind outer edge of TKR knee for about 4 months and bit uncomfortable but no real trouble.but today it seemed to swell up and became really painful - in fact whole knee hurt! - so much so could hardly walk. Feel really fed up about this as going on holiday soon and want to be able to walk! And have been doing pretty well til now! Physios told me and also read they often resolve on their own in time. But what sort of time?? And is there any treatment for them? Know they can sometimes burst -but what happens then? Be so glad if anyone can help - just don't want to go back to Drs again!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I believe the liquid can be aspirated, although I have read that it can just as easily fill up again.. . . I had one before the tkr but no sign of it since (fingers crossed!)  I have to say, though, that mine never gave me any trouble. . it was just a swelling behind the knee.  I hope your surgeon can relieve this before your holiday!
    • Posted

Thanks for that - maybe should try and contact surgeon though that 's getting more difficult these days! NHS is so stretched learnt the other day that the routine follow up appt at 2 years after THR have been done away with cos there are

too many of us patients!!! Had new hip in 2012. Only emergencies get seen. Also heard yesterday that the Oxford Score usedhere to rate severity of knee and hip pain is being used to determine whether a joint replacement is essential or elective. If the latter you are now being asked to pay for the op! Gone is UK policy of treatment free at the point of delivery?

• Posted

Every country seems to have different protocols. . I had a follow up at six weeks. . .(Tenerife) and that was the end of it!  I walked across the room OK without crutches, bent the knee to 90 . . and that was good enough for the surgeon!  At 20 weeks, however, I still have a nasty little pain every time the knee clicks . .which is every time I bend it!  I do rather despair of it ever being pain free. .. I hope you manage to get yours sorted out  so you can enjoy your holiday!

• Posted

Thanks for your good wishes! So Hope you can be pain free and mobile soon!!
  • Posted

I would suggest you contact the British Acupuncture Council and find a fully qualified acupuncturist in your area who shoud be able to sort that out for you. 
    • Posted

Hey I am (well was, now retired) for over 25 Years!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.