Anyone made a complaint to NHS about a consultant

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a consultant who never gave me any advice and said he didnt want to do surgery on my rectocele but not given any explanation as to why not i was not able to ask him questions as I only ever saw him once in over 6 months now i have to find someone else for a second opinion and i have been left with no advice and nothing and still experiencing difficulty as i cant go to the toilet at a loss what to do anyone else had this happen to them

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine Matron gave you some advise a few weeks ago which I have cut and pasted for you. Its good advise and she knows what she is talking about, Have you had a chance to do what she suggested ?

Here is what she suggested

christine if you live in the U.K. you are within your rights to ask for a 2nd opinion and your GP cannot refuse. Before you do I would do your homework and check out the urogynaecologists in your area. It has to be a urogynaecologist, that's very important. Check the consultant's who undertake private work because they have to reach a certain standard to work in private hospitals. Then look for their names on NHS hospital websites. Google them and see if there's been any reviews. Good luck

?Hope this helps and good luck regards Kath

• Posted

Thanks for passing on that advice cookienz.
    • Posted

christine are you thinking of making a formal complaint in writing?
    • Posted

Yes matron i am going to make a formal complaint in writing probably not do anything about it as he is a consultant and always the small person like me will lose
    • Posted

I think you should make a complaint and I can assure you the days of "the small person" not getting the respect and response they deserve are over. I have investigated complaints against NHS staff including consultants and senior staff and the investigation has to be thorough and impartial. You don't know if there have been any other complaints against this consultant, the Trust could well be aware of his shortcomings and are already building evidence against him. If we don't speak up then these doctors just get away with poor care which is unacceptable. Never think you are a small person in this big organisation, you are an important part of it and deserve much better care.

• Posted

Just to add christine. If you make a complaint send a copy to the Care Quality Commission who inspect all hospitals. It's something I did when I made a complaint. They responded to me and thanked me for the information. They won't act on it but when they come to inspect the hospital concerned they will have that information and it will help them when it comes to the grading.

• Posted

Matron did you get anywhere when you complained and was it dealt with satisfactory, i realise I am going down a long road complaining but feel i have to because I was treated badly and given no advice and basically just left on my own with a prolapse he didnt want to operate and i was given no reason why when i am still suffering
    • Posted

Yes it was dealt with very well and they didn't know I was a nurse until I told them at the completion of the investigation. I was complaining about how I'd been treated by a clerical officer in X-ray and she hadn't been discreet and breached my confidentiality. I made the complaint, they rang me 2 days later for more information then it was about 2 weeks after that that I got a letter and follow up phone call with the outcome of the investigation. I got the impression they'd had problems with this lady before which is why I said to you about them possibly being aware of problems with this consultant. The hospital has to follow Department of Health timescales so it won't get brushed to one side.

• Posted

I am not having much luck with my complaint about the consultant 2 weeks since i complained and just had an automated email reply do you think i shuold complain again 2 weeks seems a long time for a proper email to come back to me
    • Posted

You should have had an official response by now. Online you can find the NHS Complaints Policy and there's information on NHS Choices website. Did you complain via PALS?

• Posted

i complained via PALS and also directly someone did telephone me but they have fobbed me off as i knew they would so nothing resolved really they stuck up for the consultant as i knew they would also so i was just fobbed off so not happy at all about it all
    • Posted

They can't do that. Did you look at the NHS Complaints policy online? If they don't investigate then tell them you'll take it to the NHS ombudsman. I can't believe they have fobbed you off because they have to investigate all complaints. Don't give up christine.

• Posted

Hi Christine, wow this does not sound fair, It must be so difficult to be struggling with the prolapses and now having to battle for a fair go. Its a good thing we have people like Matron on here to give us guidance and reassurance. I hope you take her advice and complain to the NHS ombudsman. Take care and best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.