Anyone on Prilosec for 10+ years? Any side affects?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm just curious if anyone here has been on Prilosec for an extended time and if you have had any side affects like the ones that have just recently been presented to the public.  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I doubt that anyone has side effects like kidney disease, dementia, cancer, heart failure or some other extremly rare "side effects" of PPIs,

Again you have to consider a lot of factors: genetics, how many drugs are you taking, longterm alcohol, longterm smoking, other diseases that might have contributed to the development of diseases mentioned above and at the end sequence of random events (which in this case for this diseases is not luck or luck for not getting the above)

I've been on PPIs for 6 years ond and off, for the last 6 months on them, 20 mg pantoprazole every single day (because if not, then: erosive gastritis, esophagitis). I feel tremendously good on this drugs, unfortunately, ranitidine hasn't helped a bit. Had only once diahrrea for 1 and half day when starting the drug regime, which is a known side effect. Apart from them zero, none. I can even somke now from times to times (marihuana) it eases my stress off and it also eases my stomach pain.

I'm 25.5 years of age soon, and otherwise perfeclty healthy, taking not other drugs whatsoever. Will be on PPIs for the rest of my life because If I dont' I'll again bleed in my stomach. 

You will always have people with sever allergic reactions, with severe side effects, but still no one will tell you what other meds are they taking, do these other meds along with PPIs produce a chemical reaction maybe which causes some failure in our bodies along with their genetics maybe (every persone is hugely different when we look at ti microscopically). This is equivalent of having people in an air crash, thousands of airplanes with milions of people in the air and some will just have to die. Look at the probability theory if you don't believe me (I'm an engineer).

• Posted

Your response makes me feel not as worried.  I was ready to quit today after doing some research.  I have always felt great taking prilosec.  I've never had any issues unless something is silently brewing inside me.  I will probably still try and get off them, but I'm not going to be miserable with acid reflux.  I guess one has to look at quality of life as well.  Thank you for your response.

• Posted

I'm not trying to persuade you to keep taking the drugs, neither am I trying to make your good (this sounds harsh xd). I'm just telling you that there are an extreme minority of people who are taking this drugs and have this horror side effects diseases. In the US alone 20 milion people suffer from GERD. a lots of people have digetion issues all over the world and lots have been given PPIs. This has be going on for 30 years since release. All of a sudden a study comes out that this drugs may cause something and people are making 1 second conclusions (after the study release): " aha, I've been taking PPIs, they are responsible for my kidney, I'm going to sue AstraZeneca immediately".

I could go on for ages like this. but at the end you have to chose based on your symptoms and based on your condition what is the best for you: taking your meds or not taking your meds or maybe taking them periodically then switch sometimes to H2 blockers, then come back on them etc.

• Posted

I was on omeprazole for 15 years, increasing to very high dose 80mg daily for the last few prior to fundoplication. The induced hypochlorhydria due to high dose for a prolonged period meant I became anaemic nad needed iron supplementation (ferrous fulminate tablets) .

Hypochlorhydria is due to them being too efficient at doing their job. It's why long term usage must be monitored by a doctor. It can result n malabsorption of essential minerals and reduction of protection from some bacteria. These side effects are usually manageable through supplementation.

The reported "side effects" of myocardila infarction, dementia, chronic kidney disease etc are exaggerated scare-mongering by the popular press who don't seem to know the difference between correlation and causation.

• Posted

I've been taking 20 mg for about 12 years and almost got off of it last year and of course heartbearn took over.  Some people have told me to switch to Zantac.  Idk if it would be as effective since it's not a pump inhibitor.  I do think there is a lot of exaggeration as well, but I'm going to try once again to wean off of it.  So the fundoplication has remained effective for you?  I have seriously thought about going for a consultation, but didn't know how bad the reflux would have to be for that procedure.

• Posted

Recently published meta analysis of all research into effects of PPIs showed a 71% reduction in risk of progression to cancer. This was not seen with H2 blockers.

Fundoplication was the best thing I ever did but my symptoms were more those of reflux rather than acid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.