Anyone recovery on fluoxetine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Almost 7 months and still having low days?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Just curious, are the low days the same as before you went on Ven?  Are they triggered somehow?
  • Posted

Hi Nicole

As good as some of the days have been for me, the side effects (though lessened) never fully went away.

I have pretty much had enough of the stuff.

I am back down to 20mg and will continue this now until i am in a position to decide whether this was ever right for me.

It did the job, no doubt.

It lifted me - sometimes too much.

On the bad days, it has been sad - very low, but some of this has been due to the side effects.

I want to be off them for christmas, but i dont know if i can cope fully without them.

What dose are you on now?

I have felt a little better each time i have dropped a dose. This may be psycological however it is spelt smile!

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

I am in a similar position just now and I'm at almost 11 months.  I find it really frustrating as I've had a spell of a few good months.  Current daily doseage is 40mg upped from 20mg at the start of the year.  I posted about 4 months ago as I'd started to feel better but then had an unexpected 'blip', which only lasted a few days.  I hope the way I'm feeling now goes just as quickly as it arrived.  From the information I've seen on here it seems that low days and periods of anxiety are part of the illness. Try to keep positive and carry on as normal if possible, as hard as it might be. 

• Posted

Hi Nicole and Chris,

I've also been on flouxetine for almost 8 months and feel like I'm in a set back. I was slowly progressing amidst ups and downs of depression and anxiety, but this last week or two I feel like I've gone backwards. Having a hard time with anxiety. Not sure what to do.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

It seems to be the cruel way anxiety and depression work, in that you can be going along quite nicely and then all of a sudden, and for no reason, you are knocked back again.  I contact my Doctor today for advice on if I should up my doseage.  He has suggested psychological therapy rather than upping the dose.  Not sure what this will involve, as I've tried various things over the years including hypnotherapy, CBT and EFT.

• Posted

This very well could be a side effect of the medication.  If you look at the insert that is included, anxiety is one of the side effects!  We tend to not make the connection and blame it on our "illness."  I'd been on antidepressents for 19 years, the last 12 on Effexor, and I just assumed that I needed to be on meds because I had a "chemical imbalance," but now that I look back, I see that I was still depressed and not handling stress well, would have terrible anger problems, and never could really feel joy and pleasure.  My memory is horrible, too.  We were never meant to be on these drugs for the long haul and no studies have been done beyond 6 weeks on these meds for the most part!  Better to identify the causes of our depression and anxiety and learn ways to deal with troubling thoughts via cognitive behavior therapy which actually has a better success rate than antidepressents!  
    • Posted

chris1965, do your episodes of anxiety or depression have triggers?  I also tried things over the years that seemed to not help, but I think in hindsight that the medication makes therapy difficult or less effective, due to emotional blunting.  I am tapering and in the midst of this I have been doing a method of CBT that focuses on checking in with oneself to identify what brain state you are at (super stressed to doing great), doing a little meditation while checking in, and depending on where you are, there are tools that can be used to improve your state.  I'd say the crux of it is 1) identifying the trigger, what's causing you distress, 2) expressing emotions pertaining to that, from anger, sadness, fear to guilt - Many of us with depression or anxiety were raised whereby we weren't allowed to feel our feelings, or at least that's how I was raised - no one expressed negative emotions. Next, identify an unreasonable expectation.  "Of course I would feel this way because I expect...."  You then try to find a more reasonable expectation that the brain is happy to accept.  So, if the unreasonable is "I must be perfect at everything I do," then the reasonable would be "Nobody is perfect; it is not true that I must be perfect at everything I do."    You then repeat this statement over and over again, fifty times if needed.  The idea is that you have circuits that are triggered and lead to faulty thoughts/responses, but you can break the stress circuits and rewire new ones.  You've heard people say "just think positively," and if you are like me, you'd say "Ya, sure, easier said than done..." You can't just switch circuits like that - it takes time to break them down and replace them with more healthy ones.   I never thought I'd be able to get rid of negative thinking, but through this process I have actually really weakened some troubling thought processes that caused me a lot of pain.  For the first time in my life I feel like I've made a shift in the right direction.  So, it's a matter of finding the right therapy.  I do feel it has been harder to do this work being on the drugs, like I'm still unable to feel true joy and pleasure, but I am hopeful that once I am off, I'll be able to feel real feelings.

If depression/anxiety pop up without any reason why, then I'd expect it is a drug side effect.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.