Anyone suffered skin reaction with change from Butrans to Butec Patches?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'd been prescribed Butrans pain patches to help transfer from one Biological therapy to another (Enbrel to Cimzia) by my Rheumatologist. I cannot tolerate co-codamol or tramdol - I vomit. My kidneys say no to NSAIDS of any sort these days too leaving me somewhat short of pain relief.

I found the Butrans patches one of the best methods of delivering pain relief. Not having to remember to pill pop every 6 hours was a blessed relief. My GP changed the prescription from Butrans to Butec a generic, and I assume a lot cheaper. I checked it on line and found it was meant to be identical to Butrans.

Unfortunately about 2 weeks after starting Butec I started getting a skin reaction under the patch. Week 1 was mildish, Week 2 lifted the skin off after removal of the patch and week 3 lasted 36 hours before I hastily removed it.

Nothing had changed prescription wise apart from the change from Butrans to Butec. 

Anyone else suffered this reaction?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They are effectively identical, not just in buprenorphine but also matrix delivery vehicle and the other (inactive) components - adhesive and other chemical entities. I think you've just been unlucky; are you rotating site of application. It may be that you have developed a contact sensitisation which can occur with repeated application of almost any therapeutic patch - I've seen it develop on several occasions with Butrans in the past, in some case after weeks of use but in others after a year or more. 

• Posted

Hi - tried 1 further Butrans patch, I had one left, with the same result. As you say Butec is virtually identical. I don't tolerate morphine products well by any delivery system unfortunately. Great pity as the patches worked best of all.

I'm now retrying pain relief pill mixes previously discarded as the intolerance grew. Usually started vomiting abruptly, out of nowhere. Very difficult to cope with. My kidneys no longer tolerate NSAIDS either! Not good news.

• Posted

Yes i am on butects n was on butrans i have awful skin reaction from them and just when i found sumthn that was starting to give me a bit of psi relief my skin goes mad with itch n i itch all over too .

• Posted

my skin u der the patch becomes all small blister like .
  • Posted

Yes , I had the same problem , the buyer patches after day one gave me a burning feeling , I ended up not taking them told my gps and they said I had to continue on them , so I contacted my pain relief consultant at the hospital and they told my gps to give me butrams so after 2 weeks of being extremely uncomfatable  they also never helped with my pain main point yes the hospital sorted it out so glad but had no relieve for 2 weeks actually several months never had pain relief this is totally unexceptionable 
  • Posted

I have been using BUTRANS for 18 months ,however my prescription this month was BUTEC. Within 30 minutes I found that my arm was itchy ,then removed patch to find a red rash . I had not been told about the change !!
  • Posted

Yes! The GP did discuss the change from the patented to the generic drug - indicating it was exactly the same. I checked this on line - exactly the same but maybe not quite.

I developed a skin reaction that worsened rapidly and had to stop. I went back to Butrans but I had the same skin reaction. Coincidence or something in the adhesive thats different? 

The result was the same, a great pity as the patch was the best pain relief delivery so far. I vomit with most forms of codeine..without warning, out of the blue. YUK

• Posted

I have been on the same patch. I'm scar for life. I am terminal but they do harm. Yes they work. My doc said spray the site 1st with Flonase over the counter sinus spray. Make sure it is dry before applying the patch. I am terminal patient at age 55. All f these meds drive me nuts.

• Posted

yes!!!

ive been on them for 18months ans suffering severe reactions. they started mild, now pulling my akin off undetneath, the skin is red raw after 3 days ans smells like dead flesh 😕 it also leaks fluid due to the skin underneath reacting.

i have shown my pharmacy this week and have a Gp app for monday. the pharmacy told me to ask for raltrans patches as the adhesive isnt as harsh

• Posted

YES , MY DRS CHANGED MINE TO BUTEC AND I KEEP SCRACTCHING AND COULDNT STOP , so went to pain management dr and she wrote a letter to my drs telling them to change me back to butrans , my drs explianed they was told to give them instead of butrans , but my dr done as requested my personnel opinion is they are cheaper and more harmful , but i know some gps wont change ,

• Posted

Ii went back on Butrans but alas the same reaction occurred.

GP didnt have a problem with that

• Posted

did you give your skin time to repair before putting butrans on , that could be why ? but all our skins are different whats ok for one might not be ok for another but personally had no problems with butrans , the original and im only on 20 will not up it because i want to drive again

• Posted

ALSO , they do not have the same ingredients as my skin was really bad after using butec , AND the pain was worse with butec

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.