Anyone suffering from depression due to gall bladder issues?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I was first diagnosed with gall stones in Sept/Oct last year after experiencing nasty and recurrent attacks. Finally had it removed in March this year. Afterwards it has left with me with severe deep rooted depression, anxiety and phobias, because of the circumstances and symptoms around the gall stones. I couldn't eat more than dry bread and rich tea biscuits and my weight plummeted. I now worry about everything I eat and am frightened to eat as I now have quite a prominent sickness phobia as well due to it all. Coping on a daily basis is such a struggle. I don't suffer so much with the after effects of having my gall bladder removed other than the odd problem with eating certain things. I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No I did not have depression however I find that drinking mineral water helps w my recurrent painful attacks if that helps ... God bless and I wish u peace
  • Posted

I can totally sympathise with this. I am no where near as sevear as you but I am terrified to eat. I have started to try things (I am still waiting to have my gb out) but I am living on toast cod and veg which is boring. Just try introducing bits I don't think people understand until they've felt the pain! Be brave and good luck xxx
  • Posted

I'd suggest a visit to your GP. Talking therapy e.g. CBT works if you work it either alone or in conjunction with antidepressants.  However a/ds all have downsides.  You will probably be surprised just how good CBT can be though it is up to you to engage and work it.  I do hope it works out soon.
  • Posted

When I went through my issues with my gallbladder. It got to the point I couldn't eat a bland diet without getting sick. It frustrated me to no end and I also got depressed because the pain and nausea kept me from doing the things I loved (going to the gym and playing hockey). I still wasn't allowed to do anything but cardio at the gym. After I had it out, I was I wouldn't say scared, but cautious of what I ate at first, but it didn't take me long to get back to eating normally and feeling better, physically and emotionally.
  • Posted

Thank you for all your kind words. It is a comfort sometimes to know that you're not the only one. I am already under my local Wellbeing team, but unfortunately the wait for CBT is as long as a piece of string sad
    • Posted

Have you been given a PHQ-9 depression score?  The GP should have given you one.  Have a google.  I scored 'full house' at one time and I got CBT quite quickly.  Best medical help I've ever had.  You can go private, of course, but it does cost sad  Be sure to insist on the PHQ-9 or some assessment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.