Anyone try the ROM once a month antibiotic treatment for GA?

Posted , 25 users are following.

I went back to my dermatologist today and she said that a lot of her patients with GA have had positive results with taking 3 different antibiotics at one time once month for 3 months. Anyone else try this yet? Its called ROM Therapy.I'll keep you all posted...

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi yes I tried that, it was not successful with me. However, I have seen the study and have read about people having success with this treatment. Please let me know if you have any questions and take note that one of those antibiotics will turn your urine bright orange. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you!! I literally just took it this afternoon and was worried when I went to the bathroom and saw orange. I'm so sorry it didn't work for you. I feel like I've tried everything so I may as well try this. I am also applying the steroid cream to my new lesions on my legs. I'll keep you posted! It's nice to know I'm not alone...
    • Posted

You are not alone! If you get desperate 200 mg of plaquenil WILL clear up the rash it takes two months but it cleared mine up, it was gone!! I just now went off of it as I am giving myself a break for a few months I keep hoping the GA will go into remission.

So far looks like it might be coming back but gonna stay off the plaquenil and give my body a rest.

Good luck maybe take the ROM for a little longer than 3 months of its safe.

Let me know if I can help.

• Posted

Thank you!! She didn't mention the plaquenil- I'll have to research and mention it to her for sure if this doesn't work. It's so frustrating! Do you have any other health problems? She mentioned to me that she sees GA quite a bit with people who have autoimmune diseases.

I also suffer from interstitial cystitis which of course has no known cause either. It's all so weird to me- there has to be a reason why its happening! Mine started on my ankle a year ago and is now on my feet and and on my legs from the knee down. I'm starting to think it may be environmental. I've had my home searched for mold,etc. and well- it's driving me crazy to say the least smile

I'm glad to hear you got some relief and that gives me hope too that if this ROM therapy doesn't work- I'll try it.

Thanks for being there!!

• Posted

I was exactly where you are almost 3 years ago! My dermatologists 3 of them all said there is nothing that will help. I found the ROM therapy after multiple internet searches my first two doctors didn't want to allow me to try it, the third one said it's harmless to try ROM. So, how I found out about plaquenil is from my pharmacist. She has a Doctorate in pharmacology and has Lupus. She told me plaquenil WILL work. Nobody would give it to me because it causes ocular issues in SOME people so you need an eye exam before you start it and another one once per year. Anyways I had a fit with my insurance provider and finally got it and the eye exam. Well 2 months later, rash gone. People with lupus take it for years and years with no adverse effects. The thing is it's expensive so that's why they don't want you on it. And, of course one in 5,000 people get cloudy vision which I believe clears up when you stop taking it.

I took it for over a year with no side effects. I will take it again after I take a break.

The other thing that works is when you see a new circle popping up go get a shot of cortisone. Poof, gone! Somehow doctors don't want to do that either (in my HMO) I pay a private doctor for injections when I get them in an area like my hands or forearms where they are hard to cover with clothes.

My family has a history of autoimmune disease and this is just another one with your immune system going after the collagen in your skin.

The question is, what is missing or has changed within our bodies causing our collagen to look different to our immune system to the point that it attacks it?

Surely there is a scientist out there someplace who can figure that out? Sounds simple enough???!!!

• Posted

Wow! All of that is very interesting. That's awesome that your pharmacist told you about it and I appreciate you telling me about the eye side effects, etc. I'll be lucky if I find a doctor to care enough to give it to me though. I'll mention it to my dermatologist.

With the injections- she mentioned doing that but needles freak me out and I have seriously 5 new dime sized lesions on my left leg so I couldn't take all of those shots. I also had my two little ones with me today so that would've been rough.

Autoimmune diseases run in my family also. My sister has MS. I have been referred to a Rheumatologist- but can't be seen until July. It's interesting to me that a Lupus drug is helping and yes, totally agree with you that scientists should have figured all of this out by now.

I've stayed up late many nights trying to educate myself and dig for answers but never really find anything.

I think the antibiotics are making me nauseas! Yuk.

• Posted

Im right there with ya. I dont understand why someone can not figure this out. I ve had this for seven years. I have searched for answers and am very frustrated.
    • Posted

humira seems to work.  it's an autoimmune medication, but it does have side effects so talk to a doctor and get educatied.

• Posted

Hi, I started taking Plaquenil a few weeks ago and already my GA which is all over my bottom legs legs, elbows and also a few small ones on torso and hands have started to fade a lot and just about gone on hands. I am really hoping that this great result is going to continue. 
    • Posted

Hi started taking Plaquenil a few weeks ago and already seeing a significant difference and my GA is fading fast. I am really really hoping this is going to continue as it was getting me down as spread all over my bottom legs, had some on thinghs, torso and was starting on my hands. 
    • Posted

I do hope this works for you. Please let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

hi no need for antibiotics or any of this medication ... take antihistamine tablets .Rexall every night.... you'll start to notice the fading right away and you'll prob feel better too! Ive had this for over 10 years and I finally figured out the cause and I couldn't be more happy. 
    • Posted

Hi Crystal!!

I'm so glad that you found something that works for you. I take antihistamine daily and it does nothing for me unfortunately. I guess the cause is different for everyone...😞

• Posted

Hi crystal. Exactly which antihistamine are you taking?
    • Posted

No girl you need to say that again and tell me exactly what over-the-counter medication that I need to buy how many doses how many times a day do I take this Recall. Is it a pill is it a spray is it a cream what is it? How often did you apply yet

Please call me or email me and give me more information I'm 52 and I've had this for 42 years and I am sick and tired of it I would like to start dating but my outsides look horrible they don't match my own size

All my love Roberta from the state of Georgia

• Posted

Hi crystal, just read your thoughts on this subject and that is where my thinking is.  I am 71 yrs old have had inflammatory issues all my life (from 3 yrs old) no matter what I get I dealt with unusual reactions with my skin.  I just saw my dermatologist and listed the issues throughout my life that seem to lend itself to a particular problem with inflammation.  She was unimpressed nothing said.  I can relate to your remedy and will take this before plaquinel; it makes sense.

thanks Cheryl 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.